The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big doubts - A vs E?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

I'm at a crossroads and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

Right now I own
Cameras: 2 A7
2 batt grips
2 la-ea4
FE lenses: 28-75mm kit lens
A lenses: minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4, minolta 70-210mm f4, minolta superspeed 28mm f1.8, sony 50mm f1.4, sigma 85mm f1.4, tamron 28-75mm f2.8

Problem: I love the compact size factor and love what these cameras can do in situations where I don't need fast AF (travel, shooting actors and models, etc)...BUT, I went to shoot a couple of weddings and the AF speed is far from acceptable EVEN with the LA-EA4 adapter (bare in mind that weddings in Brazil are huge massive events with hundreds and hundreds of people).

Sony got into the APS-C mirrorless game for years and they still don't have basic primes like an 85mm, they don't have really fast primes (there's not ONE f1.4 lens!) or fast zooms, so I'm thinking the same will happen down the road with the FE system...plus FE lenses are way more expensive than a-mount lenses.

On the other hand I'm not sure if most of my a-mount lenses will be faster on an A77II or a future A99II than on the LA-EA4 because Sony only makes their top lenses fully compatible with new AF systems.

Changing systems is hell, specially in Brazil where most times you wait 2 month for you gear to arrive and you may be taxed up to 65% of the full value.

jonoslack

I feel your pain.
I have a similar decision to make - A vs E, although, AF speed is not my issue, and it's between A7ii and E-M1. So many pros (and frankly so few cons).

best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not going to comment on this. I'm sitting on my hands, do you hear, sitting on my hands. There's no way I can reach the keyboard and publish insulting comments about Sony :ROTFL:

But it is a bit strange, isn't it? It's the only system out there without a large aperture portrait lens. Even Samsung offers an 85mm f/1.4 :loco:

Rawfa

Not to mention Fuji. They got on the game really late and they already have some awesome glass! The 56mm f/1.2, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 50-140mm F2.8.

iiiNelson

Hey guys,

I'm at a crossroads and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

Right now I own
Cameras: 2 A7
2 batt grips
2 la-ea4
FE lenses: 28-75mm kit lens
A lenses: minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4, minolta 70-210mm f4, minolta superspeed 28mm f1.8, sony 50mm f1.4, sigma 85mm f1.4, tamron 28-75mm f2.8

Problem: I love the compact size factor and love what these cameras can do in situations where I don't need fast AF (travel, shooting actors and models, etc)...BUT, I went to shoot a couple of weddings and the AF speed is far from acceptable EVEN with the LA-EA4 adapter (bare in mind that weddings in Brazil are huge massive events with hundreds and hundreds of people).

Sony got into the APS-C mirrorless game for years and they still don't have basic primes like an 85mm, they don't have really fast primes (there's not ONE f1.4 lens!) or fast zooms, so I'm thinking the same will happen down the road with the FE system...plus FE lenses are way more expensive than a-mount lenses.

On the other hand I'm not sure if most of my a-mount lenses will be faster on an A77II or a future A99II than on the LA-EA4 because Sony only makes their top lenses fully compatible with new AF systems.

Changing systems is hell, specially in Brazil where most times you wait 2 month for you gear to arrive and you may be taxed up to 65% of the full value.
The 55FE will perform as a 85 on a crop sensor but if AF speed and weddings are your concern the. You'll probably be best served by a Canon DSLR honestly. They have the most accurate AF and I think that's the reason they dominate sports photography.

You'll probably run into the same problem though if you switch to Canon and try to stick with the older versions of lenses. You may have to the buy the newest and more expensive glass for optimal results. Most of your Minolta lenses are probably screwdriver lenses and no matter the body they will probably be slow by modern standards. I think your lens choices aren't meeting your AF expectations as well as your body choices but that's just my opinion.

Malina DZ

Hello Rawfa. Why did you decide to buy into Sony FE system if it currently doesn't offer what you need from a camera+lens to do the job for your clients today? I wouldn't blame LA-EA4 for poor AF speed and accuracy since its just the AF module from a65/a58 body.
BTW, I never heard of Minolta superspeed 28/1.8 for alpha mount. Could you share a link for details or images of this lens?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Everyone of your lenses will work on the A77II. My vote for outstanding AF right now is it. You can buy mine but I would not sell it to you just because I want the new A7 . It will do what you want immediately. The AF is outstanding. Getting the A7 is a downgrade for me with AF. I'll get by because I did my runway before with the current A7. I'm figuring that 30 percent increase will be enough for my gig. It gets me over to the FE mount with both bodies. I'll need to replace my zoom though so than I will have what I need.

Godfrey

I feel your pain.
I have a similar decision to make - A vs E, although, AF speed is not my issue, and it's between A7ii and E-M1. So many pros (and frankly so few cons).
It will be interesting to see how well the A7II's IBIS compares against the Olympus. Same for the AF.

For me, these decision points aren't very important. Neither is the format difference. I'm very happy with the E-M1 as my modern, full automation capable system. I get terrific photographs out of it. The A7 body was purchased to use with Leica R and Nikkor lenses: I will never buy a native lens for it. It does a terrific job of that.

It seems to me that if your need is fast AF and responsiveness, you should buy whatever camera best provides those features. Weddings and other events rarely require maximum detail resolution other than for the posed portraits ... The traditional solution was always to use a different camera for those shots and a faster camera for the event photography.

Rawfa

Everyone of your lenses will work on the A77II. My vote for outstanding AF right now is it. You can buy mine but I would not sell it to you just because I want the new A7 . It will do what you want immediately. The AF is outstanding. Getting the A7 is a downgrade for me with AF. I'll get by because I did my runway before with the current A7. I'm figuring that 30 percent increase will be enough for my gig. It gets me over to the FE mount with both bodies. I'll need to replace my zoom though so than I will have what I need.
Guy, lets make it happen. I repplied your email.

Rawfa

Hello Rawfa. Why did you decide to buy into Sony FE system if it currently doesn't offer what you need from a camera+lens to do the job for your clients today? I wouldn't blame LA-EA4 for poor AF speed and accuracy since its just the AF module from a65/a58 body.
BTW, I never heard of Minolta superspeed 28/1.8 for alpha mount. Could you share a link for details or images of this lens?
Only recently I´ve started needing really fast AF.

Paratom

Personally I dont find the A7 AF that bad - even for my fast moving kids - but if you say it is not fast enough for your needs - it look like you allready answered your own question.
On the other side - if I needed fast AF and response I would rather buy a camera with OVF than EVF because EVF allways means a certain delay compared to OVF.
Personally - at the moment I use the A7s more often than my 5dIII, because of the smaller size.

Rawfa

Just closed the deal on Guy's A77II with the Sigma 18-35mm. Let's see how I feel back on the DSLR's world :D

Guy Mancuso

Going to love it and for me I love selling my gear to members that make great use of it. Plus I'm a goodie bag filler. Lol

Okay folks in all in on the a7II

iiiNelson

Just closed the deal on Guy's A77II with the Sigma 18-35mm. Let's see how I feel back on the DSLR's world :D
Congrats and I hear the 18-35/ 1.8 is a world class lens for APS-C. I hope they serve or exceed your expectations.

Rawfa

Thanks, HiredArm and many thanks to Guy for his patience with all my questions :)
Now lets just hope for Sony to come up with the A99II to keep my new A77II much deserved FF company :)

Guy Mancuso

That's the beauty of the buy and sell with members here. Everyone usually is great to close deals with plus none of those dang eBay fees. That 10 percent seller fee on eBay is killer

Guy Mancuso

Okay I need to get out of the shopping mall. My wife is killing me. Lol

Tide turned she bought shoes I reversed the role . Honey I'm buying camera. Lol

Rawfa

Want to thanks Guy for being suuuper suportive during the neighmarish customs situation we´ve had to endure until I got all the gear. I guess the camera is so fast they thought it was a machine gun :)

Guy, I have nothing but praise for the deal. Many thanks for all!

Guy Mancuso

Want to thanks Guy for being suuuper suportive during the neighmarish customs situation we´ve had to endure until I got all the gear. I guess the camera is so fast they thought it was a machine gun :)

Guy, I have nothing but praise for the deal. Many thanks for all!
That goes right back at you as well. Frankly all said and done I think customs was trying to rip us off with duties as it was stuck in customs and Rafael worked his butt off to try and clear it all than suddenly it clears. This is a simple case of great buyer and great seller having faith in each other. Honestly this is why the B&S was put in place for transactions and members like this. Nothing buy high praise for Rafael