The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm for Sony A7S

jhe1971

Hello to all and greetings from Finland!

I've been following this excellent forum for a long time, but only today I decided to join myself:)

I bought myself a Sony A7S few weeks ago and so far I have only two lenses, both "normal": The superb Sony 55mm 1.8 and a Helios 44/3 with some funky swirly bokeh.

Now I'm after a 28mm lens and after reading various threads from various forums I'm almost certain that my next lens will be Contax zeiss 28mm 2.8 MM or Zuiko 28mm 2.0 MC, but...WHICH ONE? With Nikon D700 I had Zeiss ZF 28mm 2.0 which was a nice lens, but I have zero experience of Zuiko lenses.

I would love to hear an opinion from someone who owns or have owned both these lenses. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Of course there's the Sony Vario-Tessar 16-35mm but right now it's too expensive option for me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Jyrki

jfirneno

Hello Jyrki:
I'm not sure how soon you wanted to buy this new lens, but Sony stated that they wanted to release for purchase in March 2015 an FE 28 f/2 lens. that would probably be your best bet for an A7/R/S camera. At least that's what I hope to use.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

I have been using M Rokkor 28/2.8 (on an A7r). It should do better on the A7s.

pegelli

Normally the Zuiko's are pretty good.

I don't have experience with a 28, but the 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/2 and 135/1.8 are all wonderful little and sharp lenses..

jonoslack

I don't have experience with a 28, but the 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/2 and 135/1.8 are all wonderful little and sharp lenses..
Excellent thought - I'm on the lookout!
All the best

Viramati

I also have the M-rokkor 28/2.8 which performs well on the A7s even though it suffers from the white spot issue around the edge of the front lens element.

V

Vivek

I have the OM 28/2.8 and the 28/3.5. The M-Rokkor 28/2.8 still has a edge over these.

Since price does not appear to be a consideration (where the OM 28/2.8 or the f3.5 win hands down) here, I would prefer the Rokkor.

ggibson

Don't count out the native Sony options! The 28-70mm is an excellent kit lens, and quite affordable. Also, if you can wait, Sony will be producing a 28/2 sometime early next year.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just brought out the old CY 28/2.8 Distagon. It is a nice manual focus lens, with beautiful bokeh (when you focus close enough for there to be a lot of bokeh at 28mm, some CA at the edges (corrected easily in LR or C1), but it's not as sharp at the edges and corners as the 21/2.8, as the Zeiss mtf charts suggest and examples demonstrate. I bet it would work well on the A7. Here's a quick snap wide open (mounted on a Canon 1DsII) at the near focus distance of 10":

I keep waiting for there to be a 28 that works on the Sonys that matches the Summicron. (I know, I keep saying that...)

Best,

Matt

V

Vivek

I have (only the 1st version). The late version is supposed to be fabulous.

iiiNelson

Like most recommend there are a plethora of adaptable options. Most SLR lenses work as intended. Your best bet is to wait on the native 28/2 as you will have two teleconverter options to obtain the 21mm focal length or a 16mm fisheye look... if you can holdout until spring. If not then there's the wider native zooms that all cover 28mm. Any of the mentioned options will work for most people.

Second version is the benchmark for 28mm, Jono. The price you got, if the lens is in good conditions, seems good. But... yesterday I made a fast test against the 16-35, it is more brilliant, but the zoom is very near.

jonoslack

Second version is the benchmark for 28mm, Jono. The price you got, if the lens is in good conditions, seems good. But... yesterday I made a fast test against the 16-35, it is more brilliant, but the zoom is very near.
Hi Sergio - thank you - I haven't bought either (I actually thought that the 24-70 was reasonable at 28mm too).

Barry Haines

Hi Sergio - thank you - I haven't bought either (I actually thought that the 24-70 was reasonable at 28mm too).
Hi Jono,
The 16-35mm FE zoom is really pretty good, in fact I now prefer it to my Contax C/Y 28mm Distagon, after I re-did my wall test at 28mm F8.
(I have no experience with the Leica 28mm)..Cheers Barry

Contax Distagon (F2.8 version) - 28mm at F8
Full size on A7R

Sony FE 16-35mm zoom - 28mm at F8
Full size on A7R