Site Sponsors

Thread: A7s 4K tethering?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7s 4K tethering?

So I am strongly considering A7s both for it's low light abilities and it's video ability.
    There are only a few devices on the market today that allow 4K recording off the A7s from what I can tell, and cost about as much as the camera.

Has anyone tried tethering to a PC/Mac, particularly via an HDMI->USB3 device, say something like this - INOGENI 4K2USB3 4K HDMI to USB 3.0 Converter 4K2USB3 B&H Photo

Seems like an interesting option if possible, could tether to a small macbook air for recording.
    blog
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7s 4K tethering?

Very interesting!

Although I wonder why they don't list Final Cut Pro as one of the supported applications. And the (apparent) lack of direct capture to ProRes format might be a drawback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7s 4K tethering?

Just found this comment on a video forum comparing the device to the Shogun -

"It's also only capable of 4:2:2 8-bit at SD and HD resolutions, or 4:2:0 12-bit at UHD whereas the Shogun will do 4:2:2 10-bit at all resolutions, with 4:4:4 10-bit apparently in the works.

Unless you plan on shooting exclusively in a studio environment and already have a suitable computer setup the Inogeni is going to cost more, be far more hassle to work with and provide lower fidelity recordings."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post