Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New A7II Users Reports

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New A7II Users Reports

I like the new ISO setting you have to push it first before the dial works. Much better idea than just letting the dial have free access alone. I had to set that in A7 and A7r to not set since I kept spinning the dial. Small thing but better
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm sitting outside in my chair with the 50 1.4 lens and just did a shot down to a 1/4th of a second and it looks awesome
    You are lucky that you are in Arizona. IBIS is more stressed here - somewhat higher shutter speeds needed because of the shivering cold...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hate all of you.

ok, my bank account hates all of you...
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had a corporate job today. 3 hours of driving, an hour of setup and less than 5 minutes of shooting the A7II. Not much to report other than it is AWESOME. Heheh. The FE 55mm isn't too shabby either. The detail at 100% is mind-blowing.

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I hate all of you.
    ok, my bank account hates all of you...
    LOL! Early Adopter Envy is so unbecoming. ];-)

I'm delighted for all the early adopters that the camera seems such a nice upgrade. I'm also happy to sit out this early adopter round... I hope the reports stay positive in a week or four.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will sit out the whole a7II transitions and wait and see if the rumor site is right about a a9x in the pipeline for the first half of 2015. My a33, NEX5, NEX7, DP2m, A77, A77mk2, and a99 are doing all I need at the moment

Glad the a7II is being enjoyed.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I'm delighted for all the early adopters that the camera seems such a nice upgrade. I'm also happy to sit out this early adopter round... I hope the reports stay positive in a week or four.

G
    This is not some grand experiment being played out. A reliable and sophisticated tool being discussed while being in actual use.

Chad's example says it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly don't think this is any early adopter camera. This has some serious improvements over the current model A7. I'm seeing it as almost there for sure. I'll leave it at 90 to 95 percent perfect for the 24mpx model. Seriously if they put the 36 in this and make it a A7rII it takes all the current issues away with the A7r. EFC, better mount, higher sync, faster AF, better ergos by a long shot. I wish Sony would stop here drop in a 36mpx sensor charge 600 dollars more as this would make it a great one / two punch system. Than go for broke on a 46mpx one but I would maybe just stay with a 36mpx . It would serve the market better IMHO

Frankly this model should sell like hot cakes as it may just bury any other 24mpx cam today.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think this is any early adopter camera. This has some serious improvements over the current model A7. I'm seeing it as almost there for sure. I'll leave it at 90 to 95 percent perfect for the 24mpx model. Seriously if they put the 36 in this and make it a A7rII it takes all the current issues away with the A7r. EFC, better mount, higher sync, faster AF, better ergos by a long shot. I wish Sony would stop here drop in a 36mpx sensor charge 600 dollars more as this would make it a great one / two punch system. Than go for broke on a 46mpx one but I would maybe just stay with a 36mpx . It would serve the market better IMHO

Frankly this model should sell like hot cakes as it may just bury any other 24mpx cam today.
    Guy:
    Will you have a chance to test the AF in a real world situation? I remember that the AF (indoor and moving subjects) in the earlier A7 series weren't quite fast and accurate enough for your fashion work. Would love to hear your take on that.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    I think I will sit out the whole a7II transitions and wait and see if the rumor site is right about a a9x in the pipeline for the first half of 2015. My a33, NEX5, NEX7, DP2m, A77, A77mk2, and a99 are doing all I need at the moment

Glad the a7II is being enjoyed.....
    I may end up taking the plunge. The II isn't "perfect" but I've given up on perfect. It does address two improvements that are welcome over my A7 - the IBIS (which I loved on my Pentax bodies) and a bit meatier grip. I still wish it had the silent shutter that the A7s has.

Truth be told my "perfect" cam would be A7sii with 16mp IBIS sensor and silent shutter. I'm not sure I want to go back to 12mp as I tend to crop a fair amount. I suppose I'd just need to buy longer glass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
    That is far better than other envies. Like Ferrari envy
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John just from fooling around with it. I can tell the AF tracking is vastly improved. So I'm feeling pretty good about January shoot coming up. I'm very tempted to switch my lens rental of the ZA 70-200 2.8 to the FE version F4. With the IBIS even on a monopod I could pick up that extra stop. I figure I might be at 1/400 th f5.6 at ISO 800. If I can get there I'm good to go. Here is the good news I have complete control of the stage lighting. So I can have them pump it up if need be.

I think this can is it and I was guessing at it in announcment and I think I guessed perfectly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Lovely weather today, and I went out for a couple of hours this morning with a number of different lenses:
    55 FE
    24-70 f4
    WATE
    75 APO 'cron
    90 macro elmar and macro adapter M
    80-200 f4 Leica R

I really love the new body shape - sure, the dials are plastic, and it'll take a little time to get used to them (and where they are) but the C1 and C2 buttons. I also think it looks nicer with the narrower bump on the top. The general feeling is much more solid.

I'd like to know whether it's really weather sealed . . What is not very clear whether this is different from the A7r (which was only up to condensation, and not rain). The Olympus cameras are right up for shooting in continuous rain . . . This story I just read rather worried me: A7r WEATHERPROOF? NO!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really curious about the AF improvement, as it was one of the only things (the other was lenses) keeping me from FF E.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    I'm really curious about the AF improvement, as it was one of the only things (the other was lenses) keeping me from FF E.
    I'm not going to be able to help I'm afraid - it seems perfectly quick to me, but it's a while since I had the A7 (March) and far too long to be able to remember the subtleties.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Just slap a sheep on the butt and try to focus track it with a full speed burst
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. Or kick the dog in the ***. I have a puppy here that's a perfect candidate too. Little pissing machine here. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

I'd like to know whether it's really weather sealed . . [/URL]
    No they are not!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    No they are not!
    Hi Vivek
    Have you had a problem with the 'environmental sealing' then?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Been out today shooting with the 16-35. I like the new grip and shutter release position though I had got used to the A7 and A7s layout. Haven't really got to grips with the auto-focus yet and was doing landscape in any case. Really can't access the files until LR5 is update but I find the jpegs to be over saturating the greens (would never normally shoot in jpeg) but will try out the adobe DNG convertor. The weight increase hasn't really been an issue so far which is probably partly due to the more ergonomic grip. Build feels good and I like that it has the same all metal mount as my A7s

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, Jono. I have never had a problem with any camera with an E mount (includes the NEX') despite using it here- you should be familiar with the weather here- not any sunnier than where you are. I also try not to drop them in the canals.

Since I have opened up a few of these cams (and comparing with the ones from Nikon, for example), I can confirm that there is no sealing.

Hi Vivek
    Have you had a problem with the 'environmental sealing' then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Been out today shooting with the 16-35. I like the new grip and shutter release position though I had got used to the A7 and A7s layout. Haven't really got to grips with the auto-focus yet and was doing landscape in any case. Really can't access the files until LR5 is update but I find the jpegs to be over saturating the greens (would never normally shoot in jpeg). The weight increase hasn't really been an issue so far which is probably partly due to the more ergonomic grip. Build feels good and I like that it has the same all metal mount as my A7s
    Just download the DNG converter and then import into LR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is using the Sony IDC that big a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Just download the DNG converter and then import into LR.
    Just done that thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, Jono. I have never had a problem with any camera with an E mount (includes the NEX') despite using it here- you should be familiar with the weather here- not any sunnier than where you are. I also try not to drop them in the canals.

Since I have opened up a few of these cams (and comparing with the ones from Nikon, for example), I can confirm that there is no sealing.
    Then why does it say that it's 'environmentally sealed' on every website?
    It rains without warning here, (just like there) and I don't always carry a bag - and I might easily be a couple of miles from any shelter too - the E-M1 is absolutely fine in a downpour - I simply assumed that this was the same? You reckon it isn't?

A quick search of the web, and everywhere it says that it has 'enhanced weather sealing' (imaging resource, phoblographer, Steve Huff, dPreview etc.)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

This was an interesting read and I assume that the A7r he has is close enough in design to it's siblings that they are all as susceptible. I try hard to keep my A7r dry.

Sony A7R in “not weatherproof” shock - Tobinators

I think I lost a 5N to water damage many months ago. It started doing things quite similar to his report and I'm pretty sure was lightly rained on a few times. It donated it's lens mount to one of my A7r's last week though after one of them (like me!) got bent out of shape when I fell on my backpack climbing over a wire, so it still had some residual value.
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know why exactly but some manufacturer's weather sealing just seems more trustworthy than others somehow. It may be a misconception on my part but I think I'd be more inclined to trust Olympus and Pentax rather than Sony on weather sealing. Likewise I'd trust Nikon and Canon only on their Pro spec gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    I don't know why exactly but some manufacturer's weather sealing just seems more trustworthy than others somehow. It may be a misconception on my part but I think I'd be more inclined to trust Olympus and Pentax rather than Sony on weather sealing. Likewise I'd trust Nikon and Canon only on their Pro spec gear.
    Maybe you're right Steve - this really matters to me though! My A900 seemed pretty rainproof. It has to be said, that this camera does LOOK better sealed than the A7 - but perhaps that's not all that relevant!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get the feeling that some makers are using phrases like "environmentally sealed" as marketing spiel with built in deniability. In other words they claim it because their competitors do, but when anyone tries to establish exactly HOW protected from the elements they actually are, then all of a sudden things get pretty vague and you just can't pin them down. Call me an old cynic but it's as if your camera is "environmentally sealed" right up until the point you need to claim for water damage under warranty.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO 'sealed' is a misnomer. One needs to use an underwater housing for true 'sealing.' Perhaps 'weather resistant' or 'moisture resistant' is more apropos.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    IMHO 'sealed' is a misnomer. One needs to use an underwater housing for true 'sealing.' Perhaps 'weather resistant' or 'moisture resistant' is more apropos.

I think there are relevant standards to which (for instance) Olympus and Pentax adhere. Walking in the Lake District last February I had the Olympus E-M1 over my shoulder in moderate/heavy rain/sleet for 9 hours. it worked flawlessly, and has done so ever since. No water housing required. There is a video of a Pentax K7 being covered in dust and then washed in a shower. I simply assumed that by 'environmentally sealed' Sony meant the same thing. Evidently not.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would think light rain as not much of a issue. It's sealed by screws and such you need some substantial rain to even get through that. I don't trust the whole sealing wording . Watch companies seem to do a better job describing sealing and its limits. I'm personally not going to worry about as having a 40k MF back is far more scary. But sure for some folks it is a cause for concern . I'm always going to put a camera away during a downpour. Regardless if it's sealed or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding weather sealing, here is a portion of a Sony press release on the A7II:
    Main buttons and dials are also sealed to help keep out moisture and dust, and an interlocking double layered construction of media and port covers as well as body seams ensures greater moisture and dust resistance. The camera is designed to be used by photographers in any number of situations without having to worry about the safety of their cameras.

Link to full press release is as follows:https://corporate.sony.ca/view/press...ation,c9688079

Hopefully this is more than marketing speak...

John
    Last edited by sc_john; 13th December 2014 at 13:34. Reason: Fix typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was asked if my RRS L bracket would work from the A7r series and the answer is yes but more a no. You can't open the battery door . Some quick shots with my iPhone gives you a idea as the grip is thinner but more pointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another view

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if I listened the beaker the door would open. So you could file it down on the bracket but still looks crappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could even cut off the whole area around door as it really does not serve a real function. For me and how I will use this came it will be mostly handheld anyway. I'll carry a small plate just in case

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another topic. Since the shutter release moved forward it gives much better relief to your hand doing verticals and really now questioning the vertical grip. I shoot 15k in 4 days and 95 percent of it is vertical and in the past with the A7 being in top I have bad arthritis in my hands and I had to use a grip. This cam being in front more makes me doubt it's use a little. Of course the extra battery is great but this cam is making me think about it more not to get the grip.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi John
    Thank You
    Hooray!
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Regarding weather sealing, here is a portion of a Sony press release on the A7II:
    Main buttons and dials are also sealed to help keep out moisture and dust, and an interlocking double layered construction of media and port covers as well as body seams ensures greater moisture and dust resistance. The camera is designed to be used by photographers in any number of situations without having to worry about the safety of their cameras.

Link to full press release is as follows:https://corporate.sony.ca/view/press...ation,c9688079

Hopefully this is more than marketing speak...

John
    Hopefully it is more than marketing speak - and I'll be circumspect, but at least that sounds like it would be harder for them to say "we didn't mean rain" if anything goes wrong!

I'm always going to put a camera away during a downpour. Regardless if it's sealed or not.
    Hi Guy - it's just that around here the weather is so unpredictable, carrying a waterproof bag just in case it rains isn't always convenient (and ordinary bags are hardly ever really waterproof) - I've learned to trust Olympus and Pentax - I'd like to trust Sony as well - the press release John linked to certainly sounds like they've done something - looking carefully you can see that there is some kind of sealing around the SD card and battery doors.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another topic. Since the shutter release moved forward it gives much better relief to your hand doing verticals and really now questioning the vertical grip. I shoot 15k in 4 days and 95 percent of it is vertical and in the past with the A7 being in top I have bad arthritis in my hands and I had to use a grip. This cam being in front more makes me doubt it's use a little. Of course the extra battery is great but this cam is making me think about it more not to get the grip.
    I have small hands - certainly for me the grip is completely superfluous - I do agree that moving the button forward has made the whole thing a great deal more comfortable. . . the batteries may not last too long, but you can fit half a dozen into a pocket, so it's not so much of an issue for me.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to look into this more as I was looking at some new SD cards and it seems Sony SD cards are weather proof. Anyone know the story on this. See if I can find a link.

Joni my emergency downpour is cross over the strap and put cam under arm pit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking of these read the specs. Waterproof it says

Amazon.com: Sony 64GB SDXC High Speed Memory Card (SF64UZ/TQN): Computers & Accessories

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are as proofed as a Sandisk card is but a lot slower (read the specs of the Sony card carefully!). Sandisk works fine for me.

About the weather sealing business. I use Goretex jackets to weather proof myself. The camera gets tucked under during a down pour.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to look into this more as I was looking at some new SD cards and it seems Sony SD cards are weather proof. Anyone know the story on this. See if I can find a link.

Joni my emergency downpour is cross over the strap and put cam under arm pit.
    HI Guy
    I certainly shelter cameras in a downpour - usually under an arm, but it depends on which direction the rain's coming from!

I thought SD cards were always pretty weatherproof? I remember one being picked out of a camera on the se bed after 6 months! Rain problems I've had (and I have) have normally been to do with LCDs rather than CD cards - and the sealing on the SD card door looks quite good to me.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post

Is there an underwater housing for the Leica M?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are as proofed as a Sandisk card is but a lot slower (read the specs of the Sony card carefully!). Sandisk works fine for me.

About the weather sealing business. I use Goretex jackets to weather proof myself. The camera gets tucked under during a down pour.
    I agree about the SD cards - as for jackets - if you set off on a day's walk in warm weather, then carrying a goretex jacket is a pain in the neck - too hot and uncomfortable - I'm already waterproof, so I don't need such extravagances, and I'm certainly not wearing one to tuck a camera under!

Without meaning to sound too flippant, I like wearing Norwegian Dale jackets (which are waterproof and very warm) but which don't have room for a camera underneath.

But the point here really is that if other camera manufacturer's 'environmental sealing' means you can carry it in a torrential downpour without worrying (and it does - at least for Nikon and Canon and Olympus and Pentax) - then it would be cool if Sony's 'environmental sealing' meant the same thing!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to rain on anyone's parade but can some one point me to some suggestions on setting up the menus and controls for this camera?

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But the point here really is that if other camera manufacturer's 'environmental sealing' means you can carry it in a torrential downpour without worrying (and it does - at least for Nikon and Canon and Olympus and Pentax) - then it would be cool if Sony's 'environmental sealing' meant the same thing!
    I am not in the habit of buying X,Y,Z cameras for quite some time. What Sony offer is not offered by any of those behemoths.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Not to rain on anyone's parade but can some one point me to some suggestions on setting up the menus and controls for this camera?

Jim
    HI Jim
    Just for once i think the defaults are fairly reasonable - clearly you need to switch off the noises and set the file type to RAW, The only button change I've made is that I've changed C4 (dustbin) to bring up the lens focal length choice for IBIS (when you put on non Sony lenses).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not in the habit of buying X,Y,Z cameras for quite some time. What Sony offer is not offered by any of those behemoths.
    . . and vice versa by this behemoth it would seem.

Just this guy you know