The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Viramati

First thoughts after a few hours. It is truly amazing what Sony have managed to pack into such a small package, you only have to think back a couple of years and this wouldn't have thought to have been possible. IBIS, FF sensor, High iso range, IQ, DR, High quality EVF. WOW!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got off the phone with Guy -- actually it was more a, "Oh, FedEx is coming up the walk, BYE! ... Click..."

:ROTFL:
Okay out of the box . Love at first sight. The grip alone is worth the upgrade. Love the texture of the body too. I just tried AF continuous with the 16-35 and as advertised but than I put the 50 1.4 on with LA4 and I still get focus tracking AF lock on. I think I just wet my pants. LOL

Sure your AF points are still in the cluster BUT and here is the big BUT if you start lets say at the very edge of the cluster and your subject is still within a piece of that cluster it will track them. This one is hard to explain but its almost like having a native FE lens on it. Im trying to remember the A7 functions but I THINK something changed for the better.

Regardless Im committed to the FE mount

Guy Mancuso

The bad news i have to pack the 16-35 rental lens to go back but I will order this in a few days. I liked the 16-35 focal length for all the PR stuff and it seems very good. I need to have at least one zoom lens like this for the A7II

Im pretty excited this is certainly a nice upgrade folks.

Guy Mancuso

Most important feature for me they moved the shutter release forward and with the grip that alone is a effective steady shot aid of maybe 1.5 stops. I mean it that alone is just more solid and natural to the hand.

iiiNelson

First thoughts after a few hours. It is truly amazing what Sony have managed to pack into such a small package, you only have to think back a couple of years and this wouldn't have thought to have been possible. IBIS, FF sensor, High iso range, IQ, DR, High quality EVF. WOW!!
Especially not for under $2,000...

jonoslack

Superficially I'm right with you Guy. The grip and texture and the moved shutter release make it seem so much more solid. it even looks more businesslike. I also think that the increased heft has an affect in hand holding (and the IBIS is the belt to these particular braces) Tonight I Like It!

Guy Mancuso

Agree the extra little weight is better. It feels just so much more balanced. Seriously drop a 46mpx sensor in it and the A7r is gone

Guy Mancuso

I'm sitting outside in my chair with the 50 1.4 lens and just did a shot down to a 1/4th of a second and it looks awesome

iiiNelson

Agree the extra little weight is better. It feels just so much more balanced. Seriously drop a 46mpx sensor in it and the A7r is gone
That's what I'm betting on but If I can offload these extra lenses (especially the Leica ones) I may just get one of these to replace my A7. I sort of feel like I need the "hold me over" but that's just the Christmas spirit going on...

Guy Mancuso

I like the new ISO setting you have to push it first before the dial works. Much better idea than just letting the dial have free access alone. I had to set that in A7 and A7r to not set since I kept spinning the dial. Small thing but better

engel001

I'm sitting outside in my chair with the 50 1.4 lens and just did a shot down to a 1/4th of a second and it looks awesome
You are lucky that you are in Arizona. IBIS is more stressed here - somewhat higher shutter speeds needed because of the shivering cold...

Had a corporate job today. 3 hours of driving, an hour of setup and less than 5 minutes of shooting the A7II. Not much to report other than it is AWESOME. Heheh. The FE 55mm isn't too shabby either. The detail at 100% is mind-blowing.

Godfrey

I hate all of you.
ok, my bank account hates all of you...
LOL! Early Adopter Envy is so unbecoming. ];-)

I'm delighted for all the early adopters that the camera seems such a nice upgrade. I'm also happy to sit out this early adopter round... I hope the reports stay positive in a week or four.

G

Jim DE

I think I will sit out the whole a7II transitions and wait and see if the rumor site is right about a a9x in the pipeline for the first half of 2015. My a33, NEX5, NEX7, DP2m, A77, A77mk2, and a99 are doing all I need at the moment :)

Glad the a7II is being enjoyed.....

V

Vivek

LOL! Early Adopter Envy is so unbecoming. ];-)

I'm delighted for all the early adopters that the camera seems such a nice upgrade. I'm also happy to sit out this early adopter round... I hope the reports stay positive in a week or four.

G
This is not some grand experiment being played out. A reliable and sophisticated tool being discussed while being in actual use.

Chad's example says it all.

Guy Mancuso

I honestly don't think this is any early adopter camera. This has some serious improvements over the current model A7. I'm seeing it as almost there for sure. I'll leave it at 90 to 95 percent perfect for the 24mpx model. Seriously if they put the 36 in this and make it a A7rII it takes all the current issues away with the A7r. EFC, better mount, higher sync, faster AF, better ergos by a long shot. I wish Sony would stop here drop in a 36mpx sensor charge 600 dollars more as this would make it a great one / two punch system. Than go for broke on a 46mpx one but I would maybe just stay with a 36mpx . It would serve the market better IMHO

Frankly this model should sell like hot cakes as it may just bury any other 24mpx cam today.

jfirneno

I honestly don't think this is any early adopter camera. This has some serious improvements over the current model A7. I'm seeing it as almost there for sure. I'll leave it at 90 to 95 percent perfect for the 24mpx model. Seriously if they put the 36 in this and make it a A7rII it takes all the current issues away with the A7r. EFC, better mount, higher sync, faster AF, better ergos by a long shot. I wish Sony would stop here drop in a 36mpx sensor charge 600 dollars more as this would make it a great one / two punch system. Than go for broke on a 46mpx one but I would maybe just stay with a 36mpx . It would serve the market better IMHO

Frankly this model should sell like hot cakes as it may just bury any other 24mpx cam today.
Guy:
Will you have a chance to test the AF in a real world situation? I remember that the AF (indoor and moving subjects) in the earlier A7 series weren't quite fast and accurate enough for your fashion work. Would love to hear your take on that.

Regards,
John

nostatic

I think I will sit out the whole a7II transitions and wait and see if the rumor site is right about a a9x in the pipeline for the first half of 2015. My a33, NEX5, NEX7, DP2m, A77, A77mk2, and a99 are doing all I need at the moment :)

Glad the a7II is being enjoyed.....
I may end up taking the plunge. The II isn't "perfect" but I've given up on perfect. It does address two improvements that are welcome over my A7 - the IBIS (which I loved on my Pentax bodies) and a bit meatier grip. I still wish it had the silent shutter that the A7s has.

Truth be told my "perfect" cam would be A7sii with 16mp IBIS sensor and silent shutter. I'm not sure I want to go back to 12mp as I tend to crop a fair amount. I suppose I'd just need to buy longer glass :D