for the A7s but it is the same on A7 and A7r
    Help Guide | Display Quality

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New A7II Users Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    for the A7s but it is the same on A7 and A7r
    Help Guide | Display Quality
    Thanks David. Mine was set to high. I remember now that I did that back then.
    With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crap I had mine set on standard.

Folks I'm just going to say this which is extremely rare to do because I never want to sound bias and not neutral in anyway since I do reviews and test a lot on many diffrent cams. More importantly not because I guessed correctly and/or bought something. But my feeling that this is the 2014 camera of the year IMHO. Everything about it is just about perfect. This to me is a MAJOR upgrade to the FE series mount. I'm tempted to buy a second one. Sony do me a big favor stop drop and roll. Throw the 36 mpx in this and make it a A7rII today. Im dead serious Sony than make your A9 or whatever but do not miss the opportunity to sell a 36mpx version of this. More about my feelings later on this but this is the most balanced Sony camera to date in the FE mount. I may give the A7s second for its high ISO and the A77II for it AF speed in a DSLR style can than Nikon D810 for its upgrades over the D800e but this A7II is the most balanced and user friendly upgrade. All the little improvements really add up.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

High praise indeed!

Where are those spell checkers and their troll buddies to take that post apart?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn iPhone i had to edit 5 times now and still off. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm dead serious and I don't make a penny saying this but to all A7 users UPGRADE.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there Guy
    I'm feeling pretty much the same way ( although I'm quite happy with 24 MP).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there Guy
    Rude of you! I just may have to pony up a lot more pennies for that belated Christmas present
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Rude of you! I just may have to pony up a lot more pennies for that belated Christmas present
    LOL well it is Christmas and all us GAS folks do buy our own presents. Did you know that is the rule and not the exception. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there Guy
    Agree and there is nothing wrong with stopping at 24mpx, to me that is really the most useful count for a majority of folks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Crap I had mine set on standard.

Folks I'm just going to say this which is extremely rare to do because I never want to sound bias and not neutral in anyway since I do reviews and test a lot on many diffrent cams. More importantly not because I guessed correctly and/or bought something. But my feeling that this is the 2014 camera of the year IMHO. Everything about it is just about perfect. This to me is a MAJOR upgrade to the FE series mount. I'm tempted to buy a second one. Sony do me a big favor stop drop and roll. Throw the 36 mpx in this and make it a A7rII today. Im dead serious Sony than make your A9 or whatever but do not miss the opportunity to sell a 36mpx version of this. More about my feelings later on this but this is the most balanced Sony camera to date in the FE mount. I may give the A7s second for its high ISO and the A77II for it AF speed in a DSLR style can than Nikon D810 for its upgrades over the D800e but this A7II is the most balanced and user friendly upgrade. All the little improvements really add up.

Thanks Guy. Yeah, just like A7 II but with 36 MP! Bulls eye! Spot on!

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm dead serious and I don't make a penny saying this but to all A7 users UPGRADE.
    I was afraid of reading that but I do see immediate IQ improvements that bring the A7II a lot closer to the A7R in the amount of standard clarity and acuity in quite a few images I've seen here. Truthfully I could probably get by with 2 A7II's but I want to see what'll come from the A9 (or if there will even be one) before I make a jump in any direction.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have some images i shot yesterday to post and some more thoughts and maybe if I get time today to post all my camera settings as a guide. Im dedicating myself to my office today, i have a lot of catching up to do. Heading in for Espresso number 3. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I was afraid of reading that but I do see immediate IQ improvements that bring the A7II a lot closer to the A7R in the amount of standard clarity and acuity in quite a few images I've seen here. Truthfully I could probably get by with 2 A7II's but I want to see what'll come from the A9 (or if there will even be one) before I make a jump in any direction.

I say that without getting too much involved with the IQ yet. That part maybe the bonus. The A7 IQ is very good, if we get a bump here its a nice bonus for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot from yesterday with the Canon 24mm TSE shot at F10 with some rise in it and tilt. I processed it in ACR.

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a Frank Lloyd Wright Home that is being renovated and will be forever more a historical site.

And YES that is a Angel in the sky. LOL

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tre
    Thing is - no matter what the A9 turns out to be I cannot see that this could be anything worse than a great backup - it really does seem to be very good.

Without having an A7 with me to compare, I can't do exact IQ comparisons, but I do get the impression that the acuity has improved - I have the same lenses, and the shots I took a year ago. Maybe they've lightened the AA filter? It'll be easier to tell for sure when Aperture provides raw support.

The body seem to me to be a real improvement - it feels better, and it looks better as well. I don't think the shutter is much quieter BUT it seems to be better damped, so that you can't feel the camera shake when the shutter fires. I'm going to assume that the weather sealing is reasonable, so I'll shoot in the rain, but keep it under my arm as much as possible.

IBIS just works really well - dunno if it's 2 stops or 3 stops or 4 (probably depends on the circumstances), but the combination of the damped shutter and the IBIS means I can shoot my beloved 75 'cron down to 10th second without any problems (as long as the subject keeps still). 1/20th is feasible with the 80-200 f4 Leica R.

To be honest I haven't changed the settings all that much - I've switched off as much noise and noise reduction as possible (both audible and noise reduction). I've also put the IBIS focal length selector on the C4 button (trash). I've also switched off auto-review and selected RAW - I've turned on EFC and changed the monitor to high quality.

Criticisms? Well, not many really - I have turned the camera off a couple of times when turning the front dial (they're a bit close). I've also had some problems with AF at infinity (try to focus on cloud detail and it'll often give focus confirmation, but it's actually focused at about 6ft. Battery life isn't steller - but this doesn't cause me any grief - it seems to last for a couple of hundred shots with the camera on all the time.

All the best
    Jono (the enabler) Slack

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot from yesterday with the Canon 24mm TSE shot at F10 with some rise in it and tilt. I processed it in ACR.

Way better than a whole lot of

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My feelings on battery are maybe the biggest downfall but here is my theory . IGNORE it all run the dang thing to the end toss in another and continue on. Just don't ever walk out the door without a spare.After that i don't really care. There is a benefit to the small battery too. I happen to have 6 of them and those off brand Wasabi and Watson batteries work good. I just tossed out a Wasabi as i can't charge it in my new 2 slot watson charger which BTW i really like. So folks buying that charger may want to ignore the Wasabi batteries and get the Watsons

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sometimes you just can't correct when windows are just not square. This was built in 1955. I was born in 1956 and i know for damn sure I am not square. ROFLMAO

Shot with the Canon 24mm TSE at F10. I did not bring any flash with me but I am going back when finished and shoot this house for real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I can correct it easily in C1 just this cam is not supported yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay full lens profile applied here as it is in CS6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice look at a very cool historical home. For those that do not know Frank Lloyd Wright was a very famous architect here in the US. Big influence here in the Southwest. He also designed the Arizona Biltmore Resort which is world famous for its design. Right here in Phoenix

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I say that without getting too much involved with the IQ yet. That part maybe the bonus. The A7 IQ is very good, if we get a bump here its a nice bonus for sure.
    It's actually pretty easy to see the IQ improvements even at web sizes (and believe me when I say I wanted this to be just like the A7 with IBIS added.) There is more definition to the A7II images when compared to the first version and a weaker low pass filter was my first impression/thought but I don't pretend to be an expert when it comes to that sort of stuff. I've just lived with the A7 and A7R nearly exclusively for the last year.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL well it is Christmas and all us GAS folks do buy our own presents. Did you know that is the rule and not the exception. ROTFLMAO
    Actually, Guy, I already bought mine (thanks to Monsieur Slack). This really would be for my guy, so I can get my A7s out of his hands
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That could be tough. Like to have a A7s myself actually. I did have a passing thought of selling my A7r to get the S than get whatever replaces it next year. It is not a bad plan either than have all three but than that would also classify me as a real gear slut too. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's actually pretty easy to see the IQ improvements even at web sizes (and believe me when I say I wanted this to be just like the A7 with IBIS added.) There is more definition to the A7II images when compared to the first version and a weaker low pass filter was my first impression/thought but I don't pretend to be an expert when it comes to that sort of stuff. I've just lived with the A7 and A7R nearly exclusively for the last year.
    I actually like to measure (thickness and such) instead of speculating but from the images of the pictures to demonstrate the sensor shake mechanism, I can immediately pick out the difference in the cover glass in A7II vs A7. It looks thinner to me (and every micron near the sensor counts!).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That could be tough. Like to have a A7s myself actually. I did have a passing thought of selling my A7r to get the S than get whatever replaces it next year. It is not a bad plan either than have all three but than that would also classify me as a real gear slut too. Lol
    That is the beauty of the A7 series. One for every purpose. I have one UV (only), would like to add one for IR and keep the A7r for now for visible. Being compact and not requiring to own a yacht with a glass bottom (price wise), it is very tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I actually like to measure (thickness and such) instead of speculating but from the images of the pictures to demonstrate the sensor shake mechanism, I can immediately pick out the difference in the cover glass in A7II vs A7. It looks thinner to me (and every micron near the sensor counts!).
    That is really interesting Vivek. One problem with the A7 for night shooters is some rotten flare for starburst lights, the A7r does better. A few examples of the A7II I've seen so far suggests it's better, perhaps about the same as the A7r now.

If anyone has the chance to post some night images with offcenter starbursts it would be appreciated.
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

VERY clear case where IBIS works amazingly well. I shot this at 4:30 in the morning in my family room only lit by the Christmas tree. I shot this with the Canon 24mm TSE wide open which is F3.5 at ISO 1600 at get this 1/3 of a second. Thats 1/3 not 1/30 of a second. This is mind boggling as i am normally a rock at holding a camera this makes me a rock star at it.

100 percent crop. Look at the wall switch and the picture frames, not a touch a movement anywhere.

to me case closed it works brilliantly. Now let me remind you a canon 24mm TSE is NOT A SMALL LIGHTWEIGHT LENS to handhold. LOL

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

People can argue till the cats come home if it is better or worse than the Oly cams , I say I shoot Sony now so who cares as long as it does the job. This is a big reason I have my heart on saying this is the Camera of the Year 2014. This is a big plus right here, solid mount and much much better ergos.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice look at a very cool historical home. For those that do not know Frank Lloyd Wright was a very famous architect here in the US. Big influence here in the Southwest. He also designed the Arizona Biltmore Resort which is world famous for its design. Right here in Phoenix
    Thanks Guy!

Great architect! The interior shots are lovely as well and show well what materials he used. All very pure; the wood and bricks look like economical materials but very well used. And the shape of the house, amazing!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, how many times do I have to tell you you should be in bed at 4.30 in the morning :sleep006:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ill sleep when I die is that not the famous expression. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back too images . Here is a little guest house on the property. One of the beauty's of shooting with these TSE cams is the Camera is way above my head. i dropped the shift down and than added tilt. Gives you a nice high perspective with sharpness from foreground to infinity...

Post Thanks / Like

Well Camera of the year maybe though I have to say that for me the A7s is an astounding camera with it's high iso capabilities and silent shutter it's a very close call

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Well Camera of the year maybe though I have to say that for me the A7s is an astounding camera with it's high iso capabilities and silent shutter it's a very close call
    The A7s is special for sure but the 12mpx to me is just a little too small. I look at it as a more specialized cam compared to the A7II which is more a I can do almost anything cam. But agree its a good argument . Good news is they are both Sonys which take the same glass. I think a lot of serious shooters here and elsewhere would not mind having both in there bag. I know I would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW folks I forget to mention I had steady shot on with all these images except the family room and i was on a tripod. What we need to figure out if that is a issue or not having steady shot on when on a tripod. To be honest I am not seeing a issue here as they are all very sharp images. It maybe worth a test though just to make sure. One would think that it should have no effect since the steady cam would be at rest.

Post Thanks / Like

If the A7s was 16MP I'd somehow feel better about it. Psychological barrier...

That said, I still may end up with one as I shoot almost all low-light and it could help a lot.
    new album | nostatic | music

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    If the A7s was 16MP I'd somehow feel better about it. Psychological barrier...

That said, I still may end up with one as I shoot almost all low-light and it could help a lot.
    Agree 12mpx bugs me but 16mpx makes me feel better although in reality not a big difference but a mental one. Right there with you

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

12 MP probably makes the high ISO performance of the A7S feasible! My guess.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, do you still have the a6000? Briefly had one when they came out and sent it back after an hour or two - was expecting something smaller. Picked up one yesterday and am finding it is a rather fun camera that isn't a bad size - and I can run the 55/1.8 on it and it becomes a nice portrait lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Guy, do you still have the a6000? Briefly had one when they came out and sent it back after an hour or two - was expecting something smaller. Picked up one yesterday and am finding it is a rather fun camera that isn't a bad size - and I can run the 55/1.8 on it and it becomes a nice portrait lens.

No I sold it but been tempted to buy it again or wait for the A7000 but here was my issue was i could not hook up a vertical grip to it and the other was simply put it did not look professional enough to take on a gig. Now thats a external issue but as far as the cam i loved it, ton of fun the AF nothing is better even the A77II which is extremely fast AF it still is a touch behind the A6000. That may have changed though as they just came out with firmware for the A77II to make it even faster. But for the MONEY you can't beat the A6000 at 600 dollars. But the 55mm 1.8 is a great match for the A6000as it is a great setup for portraits.

For me it is more the play camera and right now until my whole system is in place, I have a hard time justifying it as a Pro but now having both the A7r and A7II it would be nice to have for fun and backup. But still need some glass and that has to come first.

But no it is a great cam and I did really like shooting it. If I had the extra 600 dollars no question I would get it again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I sold it but been tempted to buy it again or wait for the A7000 but here was my issue was i could not hook up a vertical grip to it and the other was simply put it did not look professional enough to take on a gig. Now thats a external issue but as far as the cam i loved it, ton of fun the AF nothing is better even the A77II which is extremely fast AF it still is a touch behind the A6000. That may have changed though as they just came out with firmware for the A77II to make it even faster. But for the MONEY you can't beat the A6000 at 600 dollars. But the 55mm 1.8 is a great match for the A6000as it is a great setup for portraits.

For me it is more the play camera and right now until my whole system is in place, I have a hard time justifying it as a Pro but now having both the A7r and A7II it would be nice to have for fun and backup. But still need some glass and that has to come first.

But no it is a great cam and I did really like shooting it. If I had the extra 600 dollars no question I would get it again.
    The A7000 could be here in 2 months and could have the SS mechanism. I look forward to it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW folks I forget to mention I had steady shot on with all these images except the family room and i was on a tripod. What we need to figure out if that is a issue or not having steady shot on when on a tripod. To be honest I am not seeing a issue here as they are all very sharp images. It maybe worth a test though just to make sure. One would think that it should have no effect since the steady cam would be at rest.
    Guy:

I'm not sure what you mean. The 1/3 second photos in the room with the Christmas tree that include the 100% crop of the photo in the frame. Is that hand-held with steady shot or is it tripod?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im thinking the same thing as the steady shot is very popular to folks and Sony is now realizing it with the A7II now having it.

BTW I mentioned the Watson charger and B&H just sent me a update its back in stock

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates D-4228 B&H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Guy:

I'm not sure what you mean. The 1/3 second photos in the room with the Christmas tree that include the 100% crop of the photo in the frame. Is that hand-held with steady shot or is it tripod?

Regards,
    John

The only one handheld was this one with steady shot on. No tripod

sorry if that was confusing

Im not sure how many stops its good for as it is a tough test todo because your relying on yourself as the base which we all know may change when running a test like that but I think its very safe to say 2 or 3 stops. Thats a safe bet IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The A7000 could be here in 2 months and could have the SS mechanism. I look forward to it anyway.
    After messing about a bit I'm finding the A7m2 to be all that and a bag of chips. I am realizing how much I missed IBIS/SS/whatevertheheckyouwanttocallit. By comparison the a6000 is running in second place but at the price I'd expect it to. An a7000 w/SS would be a meow de los gato.
    new album | nostatic | music

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree I am a fan of the a7II for sure. It has what it needs now.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure how many stops its good for as it is a tough test todo because your relying on yourself as the base which we all know may change when running a test like that but I think its very safe to say 2 or 3 stops. Thats a safe bet IMHO
    For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.