Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: New A7II Users Reports

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New A7II Users Reports

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.
    Totally agree and for me doing corporate podium work, I'm always on the edge. This should help me a great deal
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    People can argue till the cats come home if it is better or worse than the Oly cams , I say I shoot Sony now so who cares as long as it does the job. This is a big reason I have my heart on saying this is the Camera of the Year 2014. This is a big plus right here, solid mount and much much better ergos.
    Hi There Guy
    Having used the E-M1 since it came out, I've got quite a lot of insight into that. Olympus have some great ideas (the push/pull MF is really nice) and some great lenses (notably the 75 f1.8 and the new 40-150 f2.8 zoom). I suspect their IBIS works a little better, but as you've proved to yourself, the A7ii IBIS works really well.

Yesterday I did a country brick wall test (flat hedge) between the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 zoom and the Sony / Zeiss 24-70 f4. I was expecting the Zuiko to be much better, but it was only a little better in the corners, and not really as good in the middle.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the next Olympus announcement in January, but my current reaction is that the A7ii is going to win this time.

I was really surprised that they came out with it - but for me it solves all the problems of the A7 (and some).

I will still be using my M with most M lenses most of the time (I still think it's the better solution for me personally, especially for wide angle), but I'm very close to honing down to only the M and the A system (a really good partnership I think).

Still - I'm not going to be precipitate, but I do like this camera (Oh Yes).

High ISO isn't that bad either (ooc - no noise reduction):

ISO 6400 1/40th f4 24-70 zoom at 39mm

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im just dying here waiting for C1 support for this cam and see the file quality. Im not a fan of ACR although the house shots look good. Im thinking I can do better with C1 with regards to noise. Well see. If Im clean at ISO 1600 than Im a pretty happy camper
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the Oly IBIS probably saved more shots (working from memory and knowing how sloppy I shoot). But there also is the significant sensor size difference as well as resolution and DOF differences. No free lunch. I think for certain applications the Oly is a perfect compromise. I got hooked on FF goodness so the A7 was a different set of compromises. The M2 just removes a couple of the annoying compromises...

I still miss the Oly 75/1.8. I loved that lens...
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW everyone , Great thread here and what I hoped it would be when i started it was some nice user reports. I hope it is a help to others.

The good news is a lot of users are feeling pretty much the same about it. Thats nice confirmation for this upgrade.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that the Oly IBIS probably saved more shots (working from memory and knowing how sloppy I shoot). But there also is the significant sensor size difference as well as resolution and DOF differences. No free lunch. I think for certain applications the Oly is a perfect compromise. I got hooked on FF goodness so the A7 was a different set of compromises. The M2 just removes a couple of the annoying compromises...

I still miss the Oly 75/1.8. I loved that lens...
    Hi There Todd
    As you say - it's all compromises - I'm loathe to leave µ43 because of lenses like the 75 f1.8 and the lovely new 40-150 zoom (which is splendid). It's going to be tough to get small high quality telephotos for the A7 . . . . but but but . . . if it's only for occasional telephoto, then the Panasonic FZ1000 (or Leica V-lux) makes for a rather good option with it's 1" sensor.

If I'd known that this camera was coming I don't think I'd have sent back the A7s . . . but that's another story . . . Right now I'm just impressed with what is clearly a well rounded and excellent camera.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats high praise my friend coming from you. I know you have had your issues with Sony as its well documented here. Glad to see you are liking this upgrade as well.

I try really hard not to sound to excited or bias but this cam makes that tough for me. Its hitting on all cylinders. The A7r needs this upgrade path.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Todd
    As you say - it's all compromises - I'm loathe to leave µ43 because of lenses like the 75 f1.8 and the lovely new 40-150 zoom (which is splendid). It's going to be tough to get small high quality telephotos for the A7 . . . . but but but . . . if it's only for occasional telephoto, then the Panasonic FZ1000 (or Leica V-lux) makes for a rather good option with it's 1" sensor.

If I'd known that this camera was coming I don't think I'd have sent back the A7s . . . but that's another story . . . Right now I'm just impressed with what is clearly a well rounded and excellent camera.
    The telephoto conundrum is one of my issues. I don't need a long lens very often so it is hard to drop the coin (and haul around) a FF long zoom. The u4/3 are a lot more attractive from that standpoint, and the new 1" superzooms are really exciting - until I look at the files and go, "hey, where did my FF goodness go?"

Compromises indeed...

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be buying this camera (waiting on the next gen. a7r) but this thing sure sounds like a winner! I started out in the Sony camp when the a900 was released. More than a few of my photographer friends questioned that decision of mine. I'm feeling pretty good about being a Sony shooter right about now.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I won't be buying this camera (waiting on the next gen. a7r) but this thing sure sounds like a winner! I started out in the Sony camp when the a900 was released. More than a few of my photographer friends questioned that decision of mine. I'm feeling pretty good about being a Sony shooter right about now.
    The point here if i can expand on it is that what they did here should hopefully carry over to new product. Thats the good part

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

All the good reports are great to hear. I got into the A7 for my R lenses, and if I buy an A7II, it will again be for those lenses. The IS will be a plus, along with the other detail improvements.

The Elmar-R 180mm f/4 is my answer to a compact and light longish tele for FF. I rarely need/want longer, but if I do I will use my evergreen Olympus E-1 and the 50-200 lens. That lens on that camera produces tele results that are unlike and better than most anything else I've used, higher pixel count or larger format notwithstanding. And the dirt money they bring on the used market make selling it unpalatable.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    All the good reports are great to hear. I got into the A7 for my R lenses, and if I buy an A7II, it will again be for those lenses. The IS will be a plus, along with the other detail improvements.

The Elmar-R 180mm f/4 is my answer to a compact and light longish tele for FF. I rarely need/want longer, but if I do I will use my evergreen Olympus E-1 and the 50-200 lens. That lens on that camera produces tele results that are unlike and better than most anything else I've used, higher pixel count or larger format notwithstanding. And the dirt money they bring on the used market make selling it unpalatable.

G
    For my tele shooting I have now the EM1 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8 where I can add the new 1.4TC. This combo is absolutely the best I have shot in that range in all my photography life. Plus it is very small and light weight - will never be able to find that with FF.

Having said that the A7II seems to me the real first FE mount series cam which is getting interesting for me - and great thanks to all of you providing this information here! Will try and test as soon as it becomes available in Austria. Would make a great body for all my M glass

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    For my tele shooting I have now the EM1 and the Olympus 40-150/2.8 where I can add the new 1.4TC. This combo is absolutely the best I have shot in that range in all my photography life. Plus it is very small and light weight - will never be able to find that with FF.

Having said that the A7II seems to me the real first FE mount series cam which is getting interesting for me - and great thanks to all of you providing this information here! Will try and test as soon as it becomes available in Austria. Would make a great body for all my M glass
    if its comparable to the A7 than it is not great for M glass 35mm and shorter.
    I believe its a great camera but I see it as second choice for M glass
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What is interesting though is that the 40-150/2.8 is about the same size/weight as the Sony 70-200/4. You do lose range on the long end, but then you've got FF and more pixels. So from a size/weight perspective you're mostly winning with the 200mm+ capability - which can be mission critical.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.
    I think it's 3 stops. but more than that I think the noisy shutter and light body of the A7/r was at least minus one stop . So that where I needed to shoot 1/150th with the 75 cron I can get away with 1/10th now. That's not a slight improvement! Sure, it doesn't help with moving subjects but it's pretty good!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    An M camera is definitely still best for M lenses -- that, and I also prefer shooting them as they were intended (there's something that just still thrills in me with a rangefinder).

However, if Sony is your preference and you want to shoot your M glass, I haven't found a clunker yet on the A7s

ETA: From reading people's comments, I should add that I'm pretty much a b/w shooter, and a street one (whatever that means) at that.
    my flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I only rarely use the A7 for M-mount lenses. I've tested the Color Skopar 21 and 28, M-Rokkor 40, and the Nokton 40 and 50 on it: the best performers have been the M-Rokkor 40 and Nokton 50 of that lot, and the CS28 for B&W work (mostly due to color shifting). I mostly use the A7 with M-mount adapter for pinhole (Skink zone plate f/71) where it shines due to the very high sensitivity its capable of. I prefer to put M-mount lenses on the M9 or M4-2. :-)

The A7 seems a natural for SLR lenses, however, and the A7II should be an improvement.

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    An M camera is definitely still best for M lenses -- that, and I also prefer shooting them as they were intended (there's something that just still thrills in me with a rangefinder).

However, if Sony is your preference and you want to shoot your M glass, I haven't found a clunker yet on the A7s

ETA: From reading people's comments, I should add that I'm pretty much a b/w shooter, and a street one (whatever that means) at that.
    I recently compared the 21/3.4 and 35/2.5 on the A7s vs the 16-35.
    Its quite a difference in the corners in favor of the Sony lens. I checked because I would prefer the small 21mm prime over a big zoom...but for me its not an option to have corners like from a cheapo lens. Maybe nice effect for portrait but smeared corners is not what I am after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered the 16-35 after renting it for a trip to NY I decided I should have this zoom for my PR stuff but from what I saw its good for landscape stuff as well on the A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

Criticisms? Well, not many really - I have turned the camera off a couple of times when turning the front dial (they're a bit close).

Jono (the enabler) Slack
    I've slightly altered my index finger on the shutter. Instead of using the finger tip, I've positioned it so the first knuckle rests on the shutter release button. This eliminates the "power switch confusion" and allows my middle finger to adjust the front dial. It feels very natural that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, do you still have the a6000? Briefly had one when they came out and sent it back after an hour or two - was expecting something smaller. Picked up one yesterday and am finding it is a rather fun camera that isn't a bad size - and I can run the 55/1.8 on it and it becomes a nice portrait lens.
    I won't part with my a6000. It's the ideal lens for stealthy street photography as it's so small and it's AF is first rate. It's also my go to lens for fast action/telephoto, where the superb AF and crop factor mean tighter shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
    Hey G, it seems you are softening a bit on springing for the new camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Hey G, it seems you are softening a bit on springing for the new camera.
    No. I did not say I wouldn't get one, only that I'd wait out the early adopter time and wait for sometime next year if I did.

What's more important to me right now is figuring out what I really want to be working with, what photography I intend to pursue. I have far too much equipment for my comfort, and I will be cutting down the excess in the coming months.

In the meantime, I'm happy to sit on the sidelines and listen to the delight of others in the early adopter club—participating only as an enthusiastic witness for the present.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am finding the A7II to be an overall excellent camera. I had tried the A7 and the A7r but I was disappointed in their AF performance. Both two slow and not always accurate (at least in my amateure hands). The A7II has fast AF, surprisingly fast given that Sony only claimed a 30% improvement. I find it beating my A6000. It is also very fast in low light. For example I just took a shot of a door knob in another room (it is getting dark here), the zoom was set to 70mm at f5.6 and the camera selected 1/50 at ISO 12,800 and it focused and shot as fast as I pressed the shutter button. I meant to stop at the 1/2 press to give it time to focus but inadvertently missed it and the image was in perfect focus. The loder A7 & A7r would have hunted for focus and maybe never found it.

Another thing is the IQ is definitely better than the A7. I'm not sure why either, unless the reduced camera shake handled by the IBIS causes the images to be just slightly sharper with a crisper quality.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Lightroom 5.7.1 with A7m2 support now available:

Mac - Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1

Windows - Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1

Now can't wait for LR 6 to be released (should be soon, I hope). Hoping for graphic card & CPU multi threading support, as LR is slower on the Retina iMac. Also hoping for context aware correction brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome - time to switch to raw

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am finding the new version of LR works better than converting to DNG and processing in LR. Yesterday, I did a high ISO (12,500) conversion and tried to process it to look as good as the JPG and could not come close. Today, using LR directly I did a raw conversion and PP on a 12,500 ISO file and the JPG was not even close to looking as good. My JPGs are set to no NR. I also have tried with low NR which is sometimes a good compromise. However, the RAW files cleaned up pretty well and I was able to hold onto as much or more detail.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    for the A7s but it is the same on A7 and A7r
    Help Guide | Display Quality
    Just to be sure ... this is about the viewfinder, not the display on the back of the camera, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Just to be sure ... this is about the viewfinder, not the display on the back of the camera, correct?
    yes

Post Thanks / Like

Not as far as I know Vivek - but it's fine to take it out and shoot it in the rain - I know this, because 1. they say it is and 2. I've done it.
    I beg to differ, Jono. A friend a I were out shooting on a rainy day, both with A7Rs. It was rainy abnd very damp, but certainly no downpour, else we would have found shelter. Both our cameras developped malfunctions, and we quit. Later, things righted themselves once they had dried out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    I beg to differ, Jono. A friend a I were out shooting on a rainy day, both with A7Rs. It was rainy abnd very damp, but certainly no downpour, else we would have found shelter. Both our cameras developped malfunctions, and we quit. Later, things righted themselves once they had dried out.
    Hi There
    you've taken me out of context. I was talking about the E-M1. I'm very aware that the A7 R/S aren't properly sealed. whether the A7ii is or not is less clear

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I hope you find the environmental protection improved on the Mk.2 but I wonder whether perhaps Sony might make this one of the aspects that differentiates the rumoured 'pro-specced' model that may be in the pipeline.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Tom has it here Peter; it's nice to use for longer M lenses (Noctilux is fun 75 'cron is lovely). For 35mm and less then it's not the best solution if you want to have sharp corners. On the other hand it does open up a whole world of excellent slr lenses (OM, Contax etc).

Having said that - some wide M lenses are fine for street and people pictures where you're not bothered about the corners, but personally I like to be able to stick a motif right in the corner of the frame - and even with 35mm M mount lenses this becomes an issue.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    Jono, I hope you find the environmental protection improved on the Mk.2 but I wonder whether perhaps Sony might make this one of the aspects that differentiates the rumoured 'pro-specced' model that may be in the pipeline.
    HI Steve
    you may be right - on the other hand the press release linked above - and the fact that the battery and card door do look better sealed - suggests that they have at least tried to make it better . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony will get some competition if Nikon enters the fray as rumored recently. This alone will force them to make better camera bodies with better shutters.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if this has been discussed before but what is the opinion when to switch on OSS, sensor stabi, both or either or?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Silas and I did some tests with some other M lenses with some slightly surprising results:

Zeiss 28 f2.8 - is basically fine - no colour cast and sharp corners from f2.8 (as long as you take into account the curvature of field).

Voigtlander 15 f4 - surprisingly good - corners not great at f4, but it's perfectly usable by f8

Leica 35 f2 - again, the curvature of field (which is pretty big at 4 metres) can make results seem worse than they are - still, at f2 the corners aren't fantastic (nervous rather than smeary), but by f4 they're pretty good. The vast area of the image is stunningly sharp from f2 - lovely lens (I'm rather jealous - it isn't mine!).

I still think that if you want to shoot wide angle M lenses you may as well have done with it and get all the joys of the rangefinder - but this is suggesting that it would be quite feasible to use these lenses. As I said above - I like sticking subjects in corners, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Perhaps Sony have done something to address the problem? Dunno.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dont know if this has been discussed before but what is the opinion when to switch on OSS, sensor stabi, both or either or?
    Hi There Tom
    I've not seen any signs of it causing a problem (we did try switching it on and off to look at corners in the M lens tests we did, and it didn't seem to matter).

No idea about tripods (what's a tripod?)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Silas and I did some tests with some other M lenses with some slightly surprising results:

Zeiss 28 f2.8 - is basically fine - no colour cast and sharp corners from f2.8 (as long as you take into account the curvature of field).

Voigtlander 15 f4 - surprisingly good - corners not great at f4, but it's perfectly usable by f8

Leica 35 f2 - again, the curvature of field (which is pretty big at 4 metres) can make results seem worse than they are - still, at f2 the corners aren't fantastic (nervous rather than smeary), but by f4 they're pretty good. The vast area of the image is stunningly sharp from f2 - lovely lens (I'm rather jealous - it isn't mine!).

I still think that if you want to shoot wide angle M lenses you may as well have done with it and get all the joys of the rangefinder - but this is suggesting that it would be quite feasible to use these lenses. As I said above - I like sticking subjects in corners, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Perhaps Sony have done something to address the problem? Dunno.
    Good update Jono, thanks.

I'd be interested in how the 18mm Zeiss works if anyone has one. It's not so good on the A7r.

If the 15mm VC is reasonably good, then although wider than many would like/need, the 12mm should be better if it follows how they perform on the A7 and A7r. Also there's a new 15mm that's rumored to work better with short flange distances (announced at Photokina) due in Feb I think. I have a deposit down on one. I may have the A7II by then as well
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Since there is some talk about lenses...
    I also did some quick snaps on the A7 with 24-70 vs 16-35 Zeiss, all at f4.0

My 24-70 seems (clearly) better than 16-35 in the corners at 35mm,
    at 28mm not much difference between the 2,
    at 24mm the 16-35 beats the 24-70 in the corners, but just slightly (all at f4.0)-the 24-70 still seems acceptable. I had expected a bigger difference compared to the 16-35.

For me the 24-70 is ettential lens in the lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps Sony have done something to address the problem? Dunno.
    Now to me this would be big news. I know from experience not to get my hopes up in relation to adapted M lens performance on other makes of camera but I'll certainly be looking out for further info. I have the 15mm VM and the 25 ZM, both of which have issues with the A7 Mk1 and most particularly on the A7r. I like to crop so I'm hesitant to commit to 12mp but if the Mk. 2 is closer to the A7s performance wise then I'm all over it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just did this in LR now and it seems a lot better than my previous processing in ACR which I am not a fan of. At least in LR i know my settings better. Now is this better than the A7 its a great question and I am leaning to think it is. Seriously this looks a lot like my A7r. Shot with the Canon 24mm TSE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again it looks very good here. Need to play more but so far the files look outstanding

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    To my eye there is a crispness to these images where I can feel the coarseness of the cinder blocks and there texture in the first image and can almost count each blade of grass and red flower in the second! In other words very good images.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the clarity and accountancy is there big time

Post Thanks / Like

Since there is some talk about lenses...
    I also did some quick snaps on the A7 with 24-70 vs 16-35 Zeiss, all at f4.0

My 24-70 seems (clearly) better than 16-35 in the corners at 35mm,
    at 28mm not much difference between the 2,
    at 24mm the 16-35 beats the 24-70 in the corners, but just slightly (all at f4.0)-the 24-70 still seems acceptable. I had expected a bigger difference compared to the 16-35.

For me the 24-70 is ettential lens in the lineup.
    I haven't shot much with my 16-35 yet but did notice improvement stopping down to f5.6 in a few shots towards the 35 end...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

WHat do you think about color? Compared to the A77?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot in Downtown Dallas today with the A7ii. I'll post a few of them. Here's the first. Most are big cityscapes, and a bit harder on 24mp. (Lightroom, very little processing. 24-70mm FE, ISO 100, f/7)

-- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm glad to hear the accountancy is good from your side Guy. it's not looking so good here with both the 70-200 and the 16-35 looming. (my accountant won't like it).

On the other hand this camera seems to be a thing of joy and wonder. Of course, new cameras are always exciting, and these days they're almost always good. But finding one to fall in love with is much rarer: A family evening with the camera and the 55 has proved very seductive: everything just seems to work, including low light focusing. Responsive, And Fun.

I'm off to bed !

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another from Dallas. On the bottom there are a couple of guys that you can barely see. Blew them up to show detail. BTW, the native print size is 13 x 20.

Here are some of the design changes I like (so far)

- The bigger grip works for me. I have small hands and it feels more secure.
    - Having the menu button on an angle seems better
    - The weight gain gives the camera a denser feel. (Ok for me)

I'll do some print tests tomorrow. Not really expecting to see anything different from the A7.

I know most of you have been testing the IBIS and that's obviously the big upgrade. I'll see what I did at some slower shutter speeds and post something. My first go at this was just usability and basic image quality. It was fun to use, and still a relatively light package. (A7ii with FE 24-70mm)

-- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com