The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

jonoslack

IMHO 'sealed' is a misnomer. One needs to use an underwater housing for true 'sealing.' Perhaps 'weather resistant' or 'moisture resistant' is more apropos.

:)
I think there are relevant standards to which (for instance) Olympus and Pentax adhere. Walking in the Lake District last February I had the Olympus E-M1 over my shoulder in moderate/heavy rain/sleet for 9 hours. it worked flawlessly, and has done so ever since. No water housing required. There is a video of a Pentax K7 being covered in dust and then washed in a shower. I simply assumed that by 'environmentally sealed' Sony meant the same thing. Evidently not. :(

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would think light rain as not much of a issue. It's sealed by screws and such you need some substantial rain to even get through that. I don't trust the whole sealing wording . Watch companies seem to do a better job describing sealing and its limits. I'm personally not going to worry about as having a 40k MF back is far more scary. But sure for some folks it is a cause for concern . I'm always going to put a camera away during a downpour. Regardless if it's sealed or not.

sc_john

Regarding weather sealing, here is a portion of a Sony press release on the A7II:
Main buttons and dials are also sealed to help keep out moisture and dust, and an interlocking double layered construction of media and port covers as well as body seams ensures greater moisture and dust resistance. The camera is designed to be used by photographers in any number of situations without having to worry about the safety of their cameras.

Link to full press release is as follows:https://corporate.sony.ca/view/press_releases.htm#!/pressrelease/sony-canada/r/sony-introduces-the-a7-ii--the-world-s-first-full-frame-camera-with-5-axis-image-stabilization,c9688079

Hopefully this is more than marketing speak...

John

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I was asked if my RRS L bracket would work from the A7r series and the answer is yes but more a no. You can't open the battery door . Some quick shots with my iPhone gives you a idea as the grip is thinner but more pointed.

Guy Mancuso

Now if I listened the beaker the door would open. So you could file it down on the bracket but still looks crappy

Guy Mancuso

You could even cut off the whole area around door as it really does not serve a real function. For me and how I will use this came it will be mostly handheld anyway. I'll carry a small plate just in case

Guy Mancuso

Another topic. Since the shutter release moved forward it gives much better relief to your hand doing verticals and really now questioning the vertical grip. I shoot 15k in 4 days and 95 percent of it is vertical and in the past with the A7 being in top I have bad arthritis in my hands and I had to use a grip. This cam being in front more makes me doubt it's use a little. Of course the extra battery is great but this cam is making me think about it more not to get the grip.

jonoslack

Hi John
Thank You
Hooray!
Regarding weather sealing, here is a portion of a Sony press release on the A7II:
Main buttons and dials are also sealed to help keep out moisture and dust, and an interlocking double layered construction of media and port covers as well as body seams ensures greater moisture and dust resistance. The camera is designed to be used by photographers in any number of situations without having to worry about the safety of their cameras.

Link to full press release is as follows:https://corporate.sony.ca/view/press_releases.htm#!/pressrelease/sony-canada/r/sony-introduces-the-a7-ii--the-world-s-first-full-frame-camera-with-5-axis-image-stabilization,c9688079

Hopefully this is more than marketing speak...

John
Hopefully it is more than marketing speak - and I'll be circumspect, but at least that sounds like it would be harder for them to say "we didn't mean rain" if anything goes wrong!

I'm always going to put a camera away during a downpour. Regardless if it's sealed or not.
Hi Guy - it's just that around here the weather is so unpredictable, carrying a waterproof bag just in case it rains isn't always convenient (and ordinary bags are hardly ever really waterproof) - I've learned to trust Olympus and Pentax - I'd like to trust Sony as well - the press release John linked to certainly sounds like they've done something - looking carefully you can see that there is some kind of sealing around the SD card and battery doors.

jonoslack

Another topic. Since the shutter release moved forward it gives much better relief to your hand doing verticals and really now questioning the vertical grip. I shoot 15k in 4 days and 95 percent of it is vertical and in the past with the A7 being in top I have bad arthritis in my hands and I had to use a grip. This cam being in front more makes me doubt it's use a little. Of course the extra battery is great but this cam is making me think about it more not to get the grip.
I have small hands - certainly for me the grip is completely superfluous - I do agree that moving the button forward has made the whole thing a great deal more comfortable. . . the batteries may not last too long, but you can fit half a dozen into a pocket, so it's not so much of an issue for me.

Guy Mancuso

I'm going to look into this more as I was looking at some new SD cards and it seems Sony SD cards are weather proof. Anyone know the story on this. See if I can find a link.

Joni my emergency downpour is cross over the strap and put cam under arm pit.

jonoslack

I'm going to look into this more as I was looking at some new SD cards and it seems Sony SD cards are weather proof. Anyone know the story on this. See if I can find a link.

Joni my emergency downpour is cross over the strap and put cam under arm pit.
HI Guy
I certainly shelter cameras in a downpour - usually under an arm, but it depends on which direction the rain's coming from!

I thought SD cards were always pretty weatherproof? I remember one being picked out of a camera on the se bed after 6 months! Rain problems I've had (and I have) have normally been to do with LCDs rather than CD cards - and the sealing on the SD card door looks quite good to me.

V

Vivek

IMHO 'sealed' is a misnomer. One needs to use an underwater housing for true 'sealing.' Perhaps 'weather resistant' or 'moisture resistant' is more apropos.

:)
Is there an underwater housing for the Leica M?

jonoslack

They are as proofed as a Sandisk card is but a lot slower (read the specs of the Sony card carefully!). Sandisk works fine for me.

About the weather sealing business. I use Goretex jackets to weather proof myself. The camera gets tucked under during a down pour.
I agree about the SD cards - as for jackets - if you set off on a day's walk in warm weather, then carrying a goretex jacket is a pain in the neck - too hot and uncomfortable - I'm already waterproof, so I don't need such extravagances, and I'm certainly not wearing one to tuck a camera under!

Without meaning to sound too flippant, I like wearing Norwegian Dale jackets (which are waterproof and very warm) but which don't have room for a camera underneath.

But the point here really is that if other camera manufacturer's 'environmental sealing' means you can carry it in a torrential downpour without worrying (and it does - at least for Nikon and Canon and Olympus and Pentax) - then it would be cool if Sony's 'environmental sealing' meant the same thing!

JMaher

Not to rain on anyone's parade :) but can some one point me to some suggestions on setting up the menus and controls for this camera?

Jim

V

Vivek

But the point here really is that if other camera manufacturer's 'environmental sealing' means you can carry it in a torrential downpour without worrying (and it does - at least for Nikon and Canon and Olympus and Pentax) - then it would be cool if Sony's 'environmental sealing' meant the same thing!
I am not in the habit of buying X,Y,Z cameras for quite some time. What Sony offer is not offered by any of those behemoths.

jonoslack

Not to rain on anyone's parade :) but can some one point me to some suggestions on setting up the menus and controls for this camera?

Jim
HI Jim
Just for once i think the defaults are fairly reasonable - clearly you need to switch off the noises and set the file type to RAW, The only button change I've made is that I've changed C4 (dustbin) to bring up the lens focal length choice for IBIS (when you put on non Sony lenses).