Re: New A7II Users Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Clean all your electronics contacts. Which adapter are we talking about
    Voigtlander CFA and a Chinese one so no electrical contacts

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well! The 16-35/4 at 28mm is very good! No complaints out to the corners. Pictures to follow.

The CY 28/2.8 is bad, or my adapter is bad, or I'm bad... It looked ok on the Canon. But with the 16-35 performance, I don't really care.

More to come,

Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside try doing a sensor clean and the it really shakes about unlike the first generation A7's. Sounds like it should shake anything off
    Last edited by Viramati; 17th December 2014 at 13:06.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ok, I share some first impressions:
    -For my hand the position of the A7I shutter release feels a little more natural than that of the A7II; The camera feels good and a little more solid than the A7I, but here I say it: I slightly prefer the smaller size and shutter release position of the A7I
    -The A7II seems slightly better damped in regards of shutter noise, but not really big difference
    -faster AF and anti shake are the real benefits IMO
    -more when I have had the chance to use the camera for some time
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quick impressions. Overall I like it, but don't love it yet.

I started in digital with Minolta and carried over to Sony for a while when I left for Nikon and Pentax for better high ISO. I've missed the early Minolta glass since defecting and got the A7ii to allow me to use some of those lenses.

Positives:

Relatively fast AF although I did not have an A7I - I do have an E-M1 and an A6000 and they are both a little quicker.

Very solid body. Feels quite good in the hand.

Shutter (sound and damping) is light years better than the A6000 and close to the E-M1.

Negatives (for me):

Not overly impressed with high ISO compared to the A6000. Only slightly better - expected more.

Viewfinder is behind the E-M1 - also any view slightly off angle into the finder produces blurred edges on the screen - maybe optical glass on my copy is not great??

Card door is not snug enough. I can feel it settle a little under my hand when I pick up the camera.

I don't see the 3 plus stops others are seeing with the IBIS. E-M1 is better in my opinion. Its nice to have though.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my first Sony camera, and the interface is a bit overwhelming. Format a card? Turn off IBIS? I'm not sure I can find them again!

Anyway, is there a decent setup guide? I know everyone's use is different, but the manual has no suggestions at all.

Thanks,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how comparing full frame with smaller sensor cameras makes any sense, even when non-sensor features are compared. It's like comparing an SUV vs. a sports car.

Two different animals in more ways than one. If you want to compare APS-C cameras, do so against other APS-C cameras. These direct comparisons (NOT comparisons involving lens lineups) between Fuji (Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic etc.) cameras and Sony FF cameras make no sense to me.

I understand a big choice is sensor size. That should be made FIRST, and then throw out all options that don't include that sensor size.

I'm not picking on any single person, as I've seen these comparisons throughout several photography forums when gear is discussed. Heck, some "professional reviewers" make comparisons.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manual sucks. I'll try and get a list going.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smaller sensors than full frame in regards to IBIs has less travel distance to settle the sensor compared to FF as that has further travel because of the bigger size. So comparing the 2 systems is kind of moot point. They simply are not equal. So given exactly the same IBIS setup in both systems the smaller format will always seem better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Some useful setting guide (video) is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd3...fO1zRtA/videos
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I don't see how comparing full frame with smaller sensor cameras makes any sense, even when non-sensor features are compared. It's like comparing an SUV vs. a sports car.
    I loved the Vespa ad: more headroom than a Rolls Royce!

But I believe there's a lot of value comparing different formats, as long as it is in the service of helping decide the best tool for the job and not some weird competition. I want a shallow DoF, so larger sensors help. If someone wants deep DoF, then the advantage goes to smaller sensor. It's a surprisingly difficult discussion to have. Equivalence is a a fascinating topic, but causes instant fights.

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Some useful setting guide (video) is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd3...fO1zRtA/videos
    And this one is specific for a new AF feature of the A7M2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88u...ature=youtu.be
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I loved the Vespa ad: more headroom than a Rolls Royce!

But I believe there's a lot of value comparing different formats, as long as it is in the service of helping decide the best tool for the job and not some weird competition. I want a shallow DoF, so larger sensors help. If someone wants deep DoF, then the advantage goes to smaller sensor. It's a surprisingly difficult discussion to have. Equivalence is a a fascinating topic, but causes instant fights.

Best,

Matt
    Oh, I agree with that, and it's a legitimate and useful discussion. That's why it is the first and most important choice when buying a new camera.

What gets me is when a comparison is made regarding size, and (shock of shocks ) the APS-C camera wins because it's smaller. Or costs, when it is "discovered" FF cameras are more pricey. Once the sensor size is decided, all comparisons to another sensor size become moot.

Post Thanks / Like

Smaller sensors than full frame in regards to IBIs has less travel distance to settle the sensor compared to FF as that has further travel because of the bigger size. So comparing the 2 systems is kind of moot point. They simply are not equal. So given exactly the same IBIS setup in both systems the smaller format will always seem better.
    Right, but it seems like there was early talk about this being equivalent to the e-m1 system and it isn't. It's good to know what's what.

What's interesting is that there was a "leak" just before the a6000 was released that there was IBiS and there was even a preliminary manual section which suggested IBIS. I never understood why the a6000 had a deeper body for no reason but now I suspect ibis was intended but not ultimately releaed in the a6000. Hopefully it will appear on the next aps-c model. If so I'll let go of my remianing m43.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual sucks. I'll try and get a list going.
    this is useful
    Help Guide | Top

Post Thanks / Like

So IBIS with adaptor definitely not working again this morning. It seems to happen when I have been using a FE OSS lens then mount the adaptor and a manual lens. tuning IBIS on and off, mounting and unmounting the lens makes no difference but if I put an FE lens on and then remount adapted lens it can start working again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    So IBIS with adaptor definitely not working again this morning. It seems to happen when I have been using a FE OSS lens then mount the adaptor and a manual lens. tuning IBIS on and off, mounting and unmounting the lens makes no difference but if I put an FE lens on and then remount adapted lens it can start working again.
    That looks like a firmware bug. Thanks.
    Could others verify that please?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post

Two different animals in more ways than one. If you want to compare APS-C cameras, do so against other APS-C cameras. These direct comparisons (NOT comparisons involving lens lineups) between Fuji (Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic etc.) cameras and Sony FF cameras make no sense to me.

I understand a big choice is sensor size. That should be made FIRST, and then throw out all options that don't include that sensor size.

I'm not picking on any single person, as I've seen these comparisons throughout several photography forums when gear is discussed. Heck, some "professional reviewers" make comparisons.
    Well people like to compare what they have and to know what performance they can expect, especially when they are using several systems like most people here seems to do. Personally I have three systems and like to compare how my A7r performs against the Canon 6d, or the E-M5, what I gain and what I loose when using one or the other. And I like to hear from people having the same systems.
    Olympus OMD system is offering some striking performances in the mirrorless department : high IQ EVF, incredible IBIS and AF speed and high fps, add a good compromise between size and IQ plus a great lens line and it is very appealing. Of course using a smaller sensor make the first four performances easier to achieve.

But each one can choose the compromise he prefer, or can have several systems to achieve different tasks. Comparing the strength and weakness of each system with respect to the other makes sense in this respect and is just why we are discussing on these forum. Because we recognize strength in another system doesn't take away anything away from the advantages of the others.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you turning the camera off before changing lenses ? Forgoing that step may cause your problem. Also using the Metabones smart adapter for EOS lenses, when I switch from MF to AF I have to use the hardware switch on the lens and before changing that switch I have to set the body off and then on again to reinitialize the AF mode. May be you are getting into a similar scenario ?

Post Thanks / Like

maybe though thinking about it when I tried it last thing last night it was working and then again this morning without changing lens it wasn't. can still here the noise of it kicking in when i start up (at least that is what the store manager told me it is) and a slight whirring noise when I hold the camera to my ear

Post Thanks / Like

David, how do you determine the IBIS is not working, while you still hear the click and the whirring noise? Not that I don't believe you, but then I can test when I get an a7II (won't be too long I think, gear lust is currently in high gear )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    David, how do you determine the IBIS is not working, while you still hear the click and the whirring noise? Not that I don't believe you, but then I can test when I get an a7II (won't be too long I think, gear lust is currently in high gear )
    Well it is quite easy to see if it is working with the longer lenses as with a half press of the shutter release you can see the image get steadier and stop jiggling about. at the moment I can have the IBIS on and off and nothing changes

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks David. I never had IBIS with an EVF so didn't think of this obvious method

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Confused Rant:

How long before this interface starts to make some sense? The more I read and experiment, the more confusing it gets. Actual camera operation bears little resemblance to the manual and help pages.

OK, I KNOW that this is my unfamiliarity, and that in six months it will all be second nature, but it truly feels like a bad practical joke. Random rectangles appear and disappear in the viewfinder - and not just the AF-C flock of tiny squares, Sometimes they are large rectangles off to the side - did the camera think it saw a face?, sometimes smaller nested rectangles. It feels haunted.

Frequently the lens refocusses when no buttons are pushed but the camera is just re-aimed. Why would it EVER do that? Sometimes manual override works, other times it is ignored. Sometimes focus peaking is on, sometimes off. It's especially weird when focus peaking is on but MF is ignored. You can't move the helpful shimmer... so it's Not. Very. Helpful. Of course, these things should be settable, but I have no idea which settings changed their behavior!

The focus by wire sensitivities are insanely jumpy - turn a bit too fast, and you have to go slowly back for what feels like a full revolution of the focus ring.

The optical system is great, and that's the whole point. The other stuff will work itself out ... if I don't throw the camera out a window first.

I feel better now, thanks.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Confused Rant:
    Frequently the lens refocusses when no buttons are pushed but the camera is just re-aimed. Why would it EVER do that? Sometimes manual override works, other times it is ignored. Sometimes focus peaking is on, sometimes off. It's especially weird when focus peaking is on but MF is ignored. You can't move the helpful shimmer... so it's Not. Very. Helpful. Of course, these things should be settable, but I have no idea which settings changed their behavior!
    Lens refocussing on it's own is feature called "pre-AF". You can disable it on the menu. You cannot manually override AF in AF-S mode with native E Mount lens unless the focus mode is set to DMF; DMF behaves like AF-S, but after lock it will instantly show peaking and you have option to instantly override focus. Peaking can also appear to be on/off due to changes in contrast of the scene.

IMO the best way to use these cameras in pure AF-S mode is actually to put them into back-button AF. Configure the AF/MF button to do "AF/MF toggle hold" and put the camera into MF mode. Now the AF/MF button will autofocus and when you release you are back to MF with peaking etc.

The focus by wire sensitivities are insanely jumpy - turn a bit too fast, and you have to go slowly back for what feels like a full revolution of the focus ring.

The optical system is great, and that's the whole point. The other stuff will work itself out ... if I don't throw the camera out a window first.
    Focus by wire takes getting used to as it is non-linear, the faster you turn same "angle" of MF ring the more the focus changes. It will never match MF fell of a modern Zeiss, but best thing about it is that you can get really slow moving focus when being careful regardless of focus distance; I had a Zeiss Makro Planar 50/2 that was a pain to manually focus on longer distances due to tiny touch in focus changes focus a lot and I actually prefer the FE 55/1.8 over the Makro Planar for portrait and longer distances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I turn focus wire off , it's just to jumpy for me. I use the camera mostly in manual mode with the rear button for Afs. Nice thing is you still get focus peaking and I set my magnifier to the C1 button. No question these cams menu systems are confusing as hell. I also live and die with the Fn button as I load all 12 buttons up with a certain function so it's very easy to hit the Fn find what your after and dive in fast.

I turn all that pre- focus stuff off. Matt when these focus boxes are changing its in AFC and what it is doing is tracking something. If you have AF lock on. The initial focus point will set the AFC and as subject or you move as your half pressed it will follow it all over the place. Done well it works very nicely but need to understand how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Guy and tn1krr! I now feel sanity is achievable.

-- Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I turn focus wire off , it's just to jumpy for me. I use the camera mostly in manual mode with the rear button for Afs. Nice thing is you still get focus peaking and I set my magnifier to the C1 button. No question these cams menu systems are confusing as hell. I also live and die with the Fn button as I load all 12 buttons up with a certain function so it's very easy to hit the Fn find what your after and dive in fast.
    Well-configured Fn menu (for one's presonal shooting style) is make or break for these cameras. I practically never ever enter the obfuscated Menu unless I'm formatting a card or turning Live View Setting effect on/off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly the trick is to stay far away from jumping into the menu system when shooting. I do wish there was a function setting for formatting, APS crop. That would keep me totally out of the menu pretty much.

Sony needs a real photographer standing over these firmware folks. I would be smacking them around. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so my dealer has given me a new body so will see how it works out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It now feels like a camera! Thanks again... On to the next problem:

Please tell me that the Capture One Sony options are confusing as hell. Do I want to

a) Ignore C1 for Sony for now. I'm using Lightroom for playing around.
    b) Download Capture One Express (for Sony) - what a name! - and run it in parallel with my existing C1.
    c) Somehow combine the two into C1 Pro (for Sony). Is anyone doing this?

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I turn focus wire off , it's just to jumpy for me.
    Is that a camera function or only on certain lenses? I can't find it in the labyrinth of menus or by searching the Help website.

Thanks,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe its only on FE native lenses but I have not tried it with anything but them. See what others say here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so my dealer has given me a new body so will see how it works out
    Was the problem just one adapter or a number of different ones?

The reason I ask is that I have a couple of lenses that were adapted to EOS when I was using the 1ds cameras that refused to work with a metabones EF-Sony adapter. I realized that the lens mount used for the mod was very wide and was shorting contacts on the adapter (no damage luckily).

If this problem crops up again on the new body try taping some thin tape to the spot on the adapter that would end up over the camera body contacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    Was the problem just one adapter or a number of different ones?

The reason I ask is that I have a couple of lenses that were adapted to EOS when I was using the 1ds cameras that refused to work with a metabones EF-Sony adapter. I realized that the lens mount used for the mod was very wide and was shorting contacts on the adapter (no damage luckily).

If this problem crops up again on the new body try taping some thin tape to the spot on the adapter that would end up over the camera body contacts.
    Voigtlander close focus adaptor and a chinese adaptor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All shots are with the camera tilted so that the horizon runs from the upper left corner to the lower right. I then rotated the crops back. All processing was done in Capture One Pro v8.1, as it just now supports the A7II files. Default sharpening with lens corrections.

Here's the diagonal of a 28mm FoV shot. The buildings are just about a half-mile away (800m):

First the Olympus E-M5 with Panasonic 12-35/2.8 at 14mm, f5.6

It looks like the corner of a good zoom. Unfortunately, I've found nothing really better at this FoV in the m43 system. The 12-40 and the 12 prime may be, but I haven't seen a good example.

Let's raise the bar. Here's the Leica M9 with 28 Summicron at f/8.

Even higher, here's a SK35XL on a Phase IQ140 back. Also f/8.

Sorry, I don't have an IQ280 with Rodie 40 on hand, so that's as far as I can go.

And here's the A7II with the 16-35/4 zoom(!) at 28mm, f/8:

I'm impressed. Looking at the small group of antennae on the upper left of Mt. Sinai (the big black building, for those not familiar with NYC hospitals), it seems comparable to the Leica/28 Cron!

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 18th December 2014 at 14:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks pretty dang good. How you doing with the menus. Im running out of town here for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I reset everything I did and put the AF on the back button, and now it feels like the way my Canon is set up. Having fun!

Thanks, Guy!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Guys so have got the new body and it is still doing it What I have figured out is that if I change from either FE24-70 or the 16-35 to an adapted lens IBIS won't click in. If I change from either the FE55 or 35 it will, so I am thinking there is a firmware bug. what maybe happening is that the camera doesn't seem to register when a non electronic lens is attached after a OSS lens has been attached. I would suggest others if possible try to replicate this. I have contacted Sony UK about it.Here is the text of the email

Dear Nick
    Here is a summary of the issue as far as I see it
    I bought the ILCE-7M2 last Friday the 12-12-14 and noticed on Sunday that at times that the IBIS feature stopped working when using a manual lens with an adaptor (voigtlander close focus adaptor or non specific Chines adaptor) with leica Rangefinder lenses. I noticed again yesterday that the IBIS had stopped working in these circumstances and thinking it maybe a camera issue my dealer (London Camera exchange in London) replaced it with a new camera. Unfortunately the issue is still there and I have narrowed down to when it is happening.

First scenario IBIS doesn't work with adapted lens
    1. I have been using the 'FE24-70 OSS' or 'FE16-35 OSS’ and switch to a manual lens with adaptor
    2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
    3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
    4 On half press of shutter release the image doesn’t stabilise
    5. I can turn IBIS on and off and there is no difference

Second Scenario IBIS works with adapted lens
    1. I have been using the ‘FE55/f1.8’ or 'FE35/f2.8’
    2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
    3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
    4 On half press of shutter release the image does stabilise and behaves as I would expect

I am shooting RAW without jpeg and with batteries that are fully charged. All other functions appear normal

What appears to me to be happing is that when a lens that is not electronically in contact with the camera is used after the use of and OSS (Optical Steady Shot) lens for some reason the camera won’t activate the IBIS mechanism even though it sounds like is functioning. When using an adopted lens after using a Sony FE non OSS lens IBIS seems to activate.
    It would appear that this maybe be a software bug as I am having the same issue even on the 2nd camera.
    Last edited by Viramati; 18th December 2014 at 10:46.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Guys so have got the new body and it is still doing it What I have figured out is that if I change from either FE24-70 or the 16-35 to an adapted lens IBIS won't click in. If I change from either the FE55 or 35 it will, so I am thinking there is a firmware bug. what maybe happening is that the camera doesn't seem to register when a non electronic lens is attached after a OSS lens has been attached. I would suggest others if possible try to replicate this. I have contacted Sony UK about it
    Good detective work David - I'll check mine.
    Are you assessing whether IBIS has set in by the noise? or by the fact of it 'stillling' longer focal length lenses when half pressing the shutter.

I was shooting with the 90 macro elmar M today, and I couldn't hear the IBIS connecting - but I was getting good hand held shutter speeds, so I have to assume that it was working (but I fitted it after the FE55).

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono
    see added text of email above (hey it takes me back to the Beta testing issue with the last leica M firmware update and the line in the blue skies)
    No I can hear it whirring but you can certainly see the image still jiggling about and you can't see that sort of sleigh 'floating' effect when it is kicked in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Does the shutter button have any kind of half stop feel for focus lock?
    I am pleased it feels less spongy, seems they took that fix onboard.

So far I am in, but in Australia we seem to be getting stock in 2015.
    I may not be understanding the question, however, I feel a distinct half stop feel for focus lock on the shutter button. I have not used any of the earlier A7 cameras, but to me the shutter is firm and feels very good. The sound is interesting and I am getting used to that.

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I may start a new thread on the IBIS issue as it may get a little lost in here!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David.

Good idea! One quick point.
    Even when IBIS isn't active, the same machinery still has to hold the sensor in place.
    Is that the whirring sound you hear?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks David.

Good idea! One quick point.
    Even when IBIS isn't active, the same machinery still has to hold the sensor in place.
    Is that the whirring sound you hear?
    Well I presume so though oddly you hear it when IBIS is both on or off

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I presume so though oddly you hear it when IBIS is both on or off
    You should.
    IBIS has to hold the sensor in place, even when image stabilization is not active.
    That's what I think.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H, David
    Right - I've swapped lenses - 24-70, 55, 135 M, 80-200 R etc. etc. sometimes with the camera turned on, sometimes off. I certainly can't always hear the IBIS (but then I'm pretty deaf). However - it has always worked - tough to see with a half press on 50mm lenses, but easy on 135 and 200 - and as far as I can see it's working consistently.

Which doesn't mean it isn't firmware - it just means we have something else set differently so that it doesn't happen with me. Have you tried a factory reset and then see? I'm pretty much on factory settings except that.

1. I've turned off manual focus assist (zoom in? paff)
    2. I've turned off focus peaking (because it's easier to focus without it)
    3. I've put C4 (the dustbin) to focal length selection for IBIS.

I'll move this to your other thread if you start it

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

this is all very strange as this is the 2nd camera and I am having the same issue as with the first!! my setting are similar to yours. it also follows this pattern with either adaptor the Voigtlander one in chrome on the sony mount side and the cheap 'Kiwi' one is black!!

Jono did you try taking any shots with the 24-70 before swapping back
    Last edited by Viramati; 18th December 2014 at 12:57.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed. Looking at the small group of antennae on the upper left of Mt. Sinai (the big black building, for those not familiar with NYC hospitals), it seems comparable to the Leica/28 Cron!

--Matt
    Hi Matt,
    I have images from m43 at comparable focal length with much better corners.
    I am not sure those samples are really representative.
    The A7II images with the 16-35 do look good in this sample.