The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

V

Vivek

I understand you disagree with me. But I don't understand what you disagree with as I'm not aware of having stated an opinion!

I'm just interested to know whether the A7ii has better weather sealing (as they appear to say) as I'd like to be able to shoot in the rain as I have been able with lots of my previous cameras.
That is because you ignored what I said. I said that I have never had any problems with any E mount cameras thusfar in the weather here which is usually, "overcast with rains".

Whether I can see obvious seals in a Sony (E mount) camera or not they have been weather resistant with no issues to report.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well just put my order in to at least rent the grip at lensrentals for to come late December. I figure if I can't buy it by than due to stock on hand than they might get it before me to at least rent. It's like 84 dollars to rent. I could probably get by without it shooting 4 solid days but just having the extra battery power will be handy.

Viramati

After further use I find that IBIS doesn't really seem to help a lot with stopping the image from jiggling about when in magnified mode to aid with focussing. Had been hoping that with my 135 it would have been more steady

jonoslack

Well. I'm getting more and more impressed, the IBIS seems great and the image quality also seems a step up?

One thing, I've been having some difficulty with near infinity AF Where it confirms focus, but actually isn't in focus at all. Here is an example:

The battery was a bit low, but it happened half a dozen times (all on single shot AF)

The 24-70 f4 seems much better than I remember it. I had a lot of fun with it in a dimly lit pub.

dandrewk

After further use I find that IBIS doesn't really seem to help a lot with stopping the image from jiggling about when in magnified mode to aid with focussing. Had been hoping that with my 135 it would have been more steady
That is counter to my own experiences. Using a Nikon 105mm Macro, having IBIS on/off makes a huge difference at all levels of focus assist magnification.

I liken it like this:
IBIS off - it's like riding on a bumpy road in a truck with bad suspension.
IBIS on - it's like riding on a bumpy road in a Lexus. The inside of the truck still jiggles, but the jiggles are far less pronounced.

No image stabilization will cure larger movements, but the IBIS makes it much easier to manually focus with long FL's and/or focus magnification.

Viramati

That is counter to my own experiences. Using a Nikon 105mm Macro, having IBIS on/off makes a huge difference at all levels of focus assist magnification.

I liken it like this:
IBIS off - it's like riding on a bumpy road in a truck with bad suspension.
IBIS on - it's like riding on a bumpy road in a Lexus. The inside of the truck still jiggles, but the jiggles are far less pronounced.

No image stabilization will cure larger movements, but the IBIS makes it much easier to manually focus with long FL's and/or focus magnification.
Maybe. will have to get used to it

Valentin

One thing I didn't see mentioned and encountered on the A7 (and assume will be the same in the A7II since it's not a new part) is the jittery view in the viewfinder in lower light. After about 5 minutes of using the camera, I got a headache. The refresh rate is really bad. Did anybody else noticed this or am I too sensitive?

Viramati

Personally i have never experienced this problem with either the A7 or A7s and haven't seen anything like it as yet with the A7II. I have always had the EVF set to the higher resolution setting so I don't know if this makes a difference.

nostatic

So my local store is having a"no tax" sale and they've got the a6000 cheap so I figure worth the experiment top use my FE glass and see if it will beat the GH3 for some tasks. I mention to my sales guy that I'm pondering going from A7 to mom and he says, "oh I've got two bodies available." I ask if they can do no tax on that as well. He goes too ask and comes back and says, "yup."

This place is bad for me. Grip feels good. Will test the ibis shortly. If I'm in the ballpark of my old K20 and EM5, I'll be a happy camper. Just need a longish macro and I'll be set.

jonoslack

Hi Valentin. Like David, I have my EVF set to higher resolution, and it isn't jittery even in the lowest light