Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New A7II Users Reports

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New A7II Users Reports

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Confused Rant:

How long before this interface starts to make some sense? The more I read and experiment, the more confusing it gets. Actual camera operation bears little resemblance to the manual and help pages.

OK, I KNOW that this is my unfamiliarity, and that in six months it will all be second nature, but it truly feels like a bad practical joke. Random rectangles appear and disappear in the viewfinder - and not just the AF-C flock of tiny squares, Sometimes they are large rectangles off to the side - did the camera think it saw a face?, sometimes smaller nested rectangles. It feels haunted.

Frequently the lens refocusses when no buttons are pushed but the camera is just re-aimed. Why would it EVER do that? Sometimes manual override works, other times it is ignored. Sometimes focus peaking is on, sometimes off. It's especially weird when focus peaking is on but MF is ignored. You can't move the helpful shimmer... so it's Not. Very. Helpful. Of course, these things should be settable, but I have no idea which settings changed their behavior!

The focus by wire sensitivities are insanely jumpy - turn a bit too fast, and you have to go slowly back for what feels like a full revolution of the focus ring.

The optical system is great, and that's the whole point. The other stuff will work itself out ... if I don't throw the camera out a window first.

I feel better now, thanks.

--Matt
    i had the same difficulties with the Sony manual at the beginning. It is almost useless. But I found this book quit good :

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SONY'S ALPHA 7 AND 7R MIRRORLESS CAMERAS

“PROFESSIONAL INSIGHTS FOR THE EXPERIENCED SHOOTER”

Version 1.01

ISBN TBD

Published by The Friedman Archives Press

Copyright © 2014 Gary L. Friedman All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced either in print or in any digital format without express written permission. Contact the author at [email protected]

I ordered from his website and you can get either a PDF or other formats compatible with tablets and/or reader. May be it has been published fin a Kindle version by now too.

It is dedicated to the first two A7 but it could be a good start nevertheless if you want to enter in the Sony logic.

You can get it here from his website

he has also explained the A7II focusing in a video, you will find the links on his blog or his website.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paratom,

Now that Capture One 8.1 is out, I reprocessed all the shots there. The lens corrections include sharpness falloff, so that improved the corners a bit. The Oly/Panasonic looks better, but still lags the rest of the pack.

I really did want to find a sharp wide landscape lens for m43. I just never came across one. I have landscapes I'm quite happy with taken with the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8, but now I'm getting

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Ok Guys so have got the new body and it is still doing it What I have figured out is that if I change from either FE24-70 or the 16-35 to an adapted lens IBIS won't click in. If I change from either the FE55 or 35 it will, so I am thinking there is a firmware bug. what maybe happening is that the camera doesn't seem to register when a non electronic lens is attached after a OSS lens has been attached. I would suggest others if possible try to replicate this. I have contacted Sony UK about it.Here is the text of the email

Dear Nick
    Here is a summary of the issue as far as I see it
    I bought the ILCE-7M2 last Friday the 12-12-14 and noticed on Sunday that at times that the IBIS feature stopped working when using a manual lens with an adaptor (voigtlander close focus adaptor or non specific Chines adaptor) with leica Rangefinder lenses. I noticed again yesterday that the IBIS had stopped working in these circumstances and thinking it maybe a camera issue my dealer (London Camera exchange in London) replaced it with a new camera. Unfortunately the issue is still there and I have narrowed down to when it is happening.

First scenario IBIS doesn't work with adapted lens
    1. I have been using the 'FE24-70 OSS' or 'FE16-35 OSS’ and switch to a manual lens with adaptor
    2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
    3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
    4 On half press of shutter release the image doesn’t stabilise
    5. I can turn IBIS on and off and there is no difference

Second Scenario IBIS works with adapted lens
    1. I have been using the ‘FE55/f1.8’ or 'FE35/f2.8’
    2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
    3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
    4 On half press of shutter release the image does stabilise and behaves as I would expect

I am shooting RAW without jpeg and with batteries that are fully charged. All other functions appear normal

What appears to me to be happing is that when a lens that is not electronically in contact with the camera is used after the use of and OSS (Optical Steady Shot) lens for some reason the camera won’t activate the IBIS mechanism even though it sounds like is functioning. When using an adopted lens after using a Sony FE non OSS lens IBIS seems to activate.
    It would appear that this maybe be a software bug as I am having the same issue even on the 2nd camera.
    Sorry to hear that the problem isn't solved. May be that you could try a further experiment : when using a lens with OSS (24-70 or 16-35mm) dig in the menu and disable IBIS/OSS before shutting down the camera to change lenses. Then when the legacy lens is mounted, set the IBIS on again. May be it should work too ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Sorry to hear that the problem isn't solved. May be that you could try a further experiment : when using a lens with OSS (24-70 or 16-35mm) dig in the menu and disable IBIS/OSS before shutting down the camera to change lenses. Then when the legacy lens is mounted, set the IBIS on again. May be it should work too ?
    Have already tried this but it didn't make any difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paratom,

Now that Capture One 8.1 is out, I reprocessed all the shots there. The lens corrections include sharpness falloff, so that improved the corners a bit. The Oly/Panasonic looks better, but still lags the rest of the pack.

I really did want to find a sharp wide landscape lens for m43. I just never came across one. I have landscapes I'm quite happy with taken with the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8, but now I'm getting

Best,

Matt
    I have the 12-40mm F2.8 and it is a stunning zoom, the corners are better than with the 12mm F2.8; I compared the DXO results of both the Panasonic and the Olympus zooms and went for the M.Zuiko, because while being slightly less sharp in the center, it was better in the corners and offer more uniformity.For me that lens is in the same class as the 75mm. Sorry To be OT.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this is all very strange as this is the 2nd camera and I am having the same issue as with the first!! my setting are similar to yours. it also follows this pattern with either adaptor the Voigtlander one in chrome on the sony mount side and the cheap 'Kiwi' one is black!!

Jono did you try taking any shots with the 24-70 before swapping back
    Hi David
    As a serial victim (and perpetrator) of software bugs, I suspect that if it were universal then they would have found it - which does suggest we're doing something different (and yes, I did take some shots with the 24-70). Trouble is, in 8million 263,000 menu options it's tough to find the one which is different. Of course I'll try again, but there isn't a point where I've seriously thought mine wasn't working (although there have been many points where I haven't heard it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

.. gonna be hard to sneak in another m43 lens after just getting an A7II and two zooms. And I was thinking about the Sony 55/1.8 and 70-200/4, too...

One thing I'm sure of, after trying several lenses via adapters - I want to stay with native glass. It's a neat trick to shoot a Canon 85/1.2L with the A7II via metabones, but I'd never trust the setup. I'm not even sure about the A-mount 85/1.4 now, and I'd love a low f-number 85.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

.. gonna be hard to sneak in another m43 lens after just getting an A7II and two zooms. And I was thinking about the Sony 55/1.8 and 70-200/4, too...

One thing I'm sure of, after trying several lenses via adapters - I want to stay with native glass. It's a neat trick to shoot a Canon 85/1.2L with the A7II via metabones, but I'd never trust the setup. I'm not even sure about the A-mount 85/1.4 now, and I'd love a low f-number 85.
    Hi Matt
    Well, I'm going to answer a few of your emails (probably pointlessly). I made a decision, and put the manual back in the box when the camera arrived (together with everything else except the battery). I'm sure there's good stuff in there, but I'd rather go to sleep over a good novel. When it does unexpected things I just bang it on the ground and carry on

µ43 - I'm with Annna - the 12-40 seems to me to be probably the best zoom lens I've ever owned - pretty much without compromise . . . BUT having said that, I did some country brick wall tests comparing the 12-40 on the E-M1 with the 24-70 on the A7ii - I was really surprised that, although the 12-40 did win in the corners, it was pretty marginal, but across the frame I liked the Sony images. better . . . which is, quite frankly, why I'm still here .

Native lenses - couldn't agree more - for 80% of the time, but I was having a lot of fun shooting some of the R lenses, and the Noctilux is quite good too . The 55 is a lovely lens though, and somehow I'm much more impressed with the 24-70 f4 than I was on either the A7 or the A7r (go figure).

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Paratom,

Best,

Matt
    Did that come out today. Yahoo
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my A7II. I had hoped that the lens focal length for 3rd party manual focus lenses set in the steady shot settings would transfer to exif, but unfortunately this does not happen. Only when I'm using the phigment adapter with my M lenses can I get focal length recorded (as well as shooting aperture). Good item for a firmware update.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I apologize if you are tired of pictures featuring a blocky black building, but I tried some more lenses with the A7II today, and .. well ..

All pics are 100% crops. As all samples today are from the A7II, the scaling doesn't matter.

Here is the Minolta 28/2 at f/4, courtesy of Manouch Shirzad.

Wide open, the lens has character - perhaps too much - point sources have weird halos (not visible in this capture).

Jumping to the long end, here's another great Minolta lens, the 70-210 f/4. This is full zoom and wide open!

IBIS is necessary at this point. If we stop down a bit and keep the ISO from shooting up, and turn stabilization off - ok, that's a lot of work to prove a point - we get

Here is the Canon 70-200/2.8L version 1 at 170mm and f/5.6. Although AF works with the metabones adapter, it is very slow, taking a few passes. Backing off from full zoom and stopping down makes Moire appear

And finally, the Canon 400/5.6 with 1.4x. This is hand held! Recall that the building is over half a mile away...

I'll try to photograph something else now,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Want to know how many stops IBIS adds when using an OSS lens? According to this video, it adds at least one stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVpPG8oqheg

Post Thanks / Like

Battery usage PSA:

I do street photography, and usually that means keeping the camera on all the time. When doing this, especially with "pre AF" set to "on", the addition of IBIS really chews away battery life!

So, it's important to turn the camera off when not in use, especially if you are in the habit of not immediately replacing the lens cap. I know that's usually always good advice, but even more so with IBIS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt you can try all my glass on the upcoming workshop.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This was a restaurant interior - fairly dark - so it was a good opportunity to try the Minolta 28/2 wide open. First the whole capture:

The mural renders beautifully but the lightbulbs look strange.

And speaking of that mural, here's the Minolta 70-210/4 at 210mm, wide open, and 1/10 second (thank you, IBIS!).

Dark room, long lens, long exposure, hand held. Yay!

--Matt
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not much to show for pictures - I bet you're all as tired as I am of corners and motion blur. But I tried a bunch of M lenses. Really just confirming what has been widely reported:

CV 15/4.5 It's great. Since C1 v8.1 processes the A7II, I shot an LCC and that cleaned up the vignetting perfectly. Wider than the 16-35/4. And much smaller!

CV 21/4 Works better than I expected. Really good into the corners. Very similar to the

Zeiss 21/2.8 Biogon. Quite useable. Not quite as sharp in the corners as the CV.

Aside: It's easy to talk about a lens in the abstract, but it's the lens/sensor/software chain at work. You actually see people saying how bad the WATE is by its performance on a non-Leica camera...

Leica 28/2. Yep, it's corners are bad on the Sony. Great in the middle, nice look close up, but NOT for sharp everywhere landscape.

Leica 35/2. I have a type 1 from an M2. Weird bokeh near the edges, but a fine lens on the A7II.

CV 40/1.4 Nokton. Lovely look wide open but with slightly harsh bokeh near the edges.

Leica 50/2 Really sharp! Some vignetting at f/2, but sharp everywhere. Will have to compare this to the 55/1.8 someday.

Leica 50/1.4 pre-ASPH Beautiful, but not as sharp as the Cron in the corners.

I have a 50 Lux v1 and a 75 Cron, but not with me. Will try those soon. Also a bunch of Pentax 645 glass that I *could* mount with stacked adapters.

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 20th December 2014 at 11:40.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The mural renders beautifully but the lightbulbs look strange.
    Coma: the perennial problem with fast wides/ultrawides. Also, that's an impressive demonstration of your stabilized Beercan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Tom.

The minolta lenses are on loan. I'm still debating the fancy A mount adapter and A lenses. I got the Canons working with metabones, but the focus is really too slow to get the best out of them. The big hole for me is the 85/1.x. I'll have to play with the Sony Zeiss 85/1.4 and adapter to see how well it works.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

If you are waiting for Sony to release an LCD cover, I don't think they will. The same cover for the RX series works on the A7ii:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got one. Works beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much to show for pictures - Really just confirming what has been widely reported:

--Matt
    Any comment on the ZM 25/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Tom.

The minolta lenses are on loan. I'm still debating the fancy A mount adapter and A lenses. I got the Canons working with metabones, but the focus is really too slow to get the best out of them. The big hole for me is the 85/1.x. I'll have to play with the Sony Zeiss 85/1.4 and adapter to see how well it works.

--Matt
    The 85 1.4 ZA works really nice with the Lae4. Remember though it is a screw drive so not as fast as the SSM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimBuchanan View Post
    Any comment on the ZM 25/2.8?
    Funny you should mention that. I thought I had that lens, but can't find it. If it turns up, I'll certainly try it.

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The 85 1.4 ZA works really nice with the Lae4. Remember though it is a screw drive so not as fast as the SSM
    The adapter and lens gets expensive, especially if it's my only A lens. If Sony releases a native 85/1.8 that might be perfect. The roadmap suggests something like that for early 2015.

Probably end up with both.

Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Trying out my non-native, MF lenses on the A7II using the Phigment adapter M to E mount. New firmware allows creation and addition of custom lens profiles for correcting vignetting and color casts and also outputs lens info to exif. Focal length, max aperture, and shooting aperture used (latter must be set on camera and with lens aperture ring) are all written to exif. Can use lens coding for auto lens identification when mounted. Stacking adapters (e.g. Leica R to Leica M adapter to Phigment M to E) also works well.

Sample image using the CV 15mm f/4.5, click to open image and type (Mac) command-E for exif data:

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Trying out my non-native, MF lenses on the A7II using the Phigment adapter M to E mount. New firmware allows creation and addition of custom lens profiles for correcting vignetting and color casts and also outputs lens info to exif. Focal length, max aperture, and shooting aperture used (latter must be set on camera and with lens aperture ring) are all written to exif. Can use lens coding for auto lens identification when mounted. Stacking adapters (e.g. Leica R to Leica M adapter to Phigment M to E) also works well.

Sample image using the CV 15mm f/4.5, click to open image and type (Mac) command-E for exif data:

What one can see at this size looks fine IMO - even though this subject is not really demanding for the corner resolution. Thanks for posting this! I checked the 15CV on the Leica T and it didnt look so great.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pardon me...I'm an old fartographer and get easily confused...re: 100% crop: when I crop 100%, I have reduced the image to nothing...how can you display 100% crop images?

Roy Benson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    What one can see at this size looks fine IMO - even though this subject is not really demanding for the corner resolution. Thanks for posting this! I checked the 15CV on the Leica T and it didnt look so great.
    This has been known since NEX-5N days. The T uses that very same sensor in an expensive monobody.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Pardon me...I'm an old fartographer and get easily confused...re: 100% crop: when I crop 100%, I have reduced the image to nothing...how can you display 100% crop images?

Roy Benson
    Google.

For example:

Mark David | What’s a 100% crop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post

Hi I see some corner colour problems here so am wondering if you have tried the correction tool in LR5 for voigtlander lenses. The 12mm one works pretty well but overdose the vignetting correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roy,

Unlike film, which has no natural size scale, digital images, at least processed ones, have a natural smallest unit, the pixel. Computer monitors also have a (sometimes fictitious) notion of a pixel, and an image at "100%" or a "100% crop" is a 1-1 matching of image pixels to screen pixels. On a "retina display" where, by design, the pixels are too small to be seen at the usual viewing distance, "100%" is sometimes replaced by "200%", usually with no indication that the extra scaling has taken place.

--Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I see some corner colour problems here so am wondering if you have tried the correction tool in LR5 for voigtlander lenses. The 12mm one works pretty well but overdose the vignetting correction
    Hi David, Yes, I've also used both the flat field correction (DNG only, but works well) and the alternative LR provided lens profile for the CV 15. The latter does not remove all of the color cast and it over compensates vignetting. I'm still tuning the profile for the Phigment adapter which is a trial and error process. It is similar to the flat field or LCC approach using a "white wall" image for correction, but so far not working as well as the flat field process in LR.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    This has been known since NEX-5N days. The T uses that very same sensor in an expensive monobody.
    Maybe. I often hear the Story from the same sensor in various cams but output looks quite different. xvario vs T vs A vs Pentax K etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw B&H has the vertical grip in stock. I was going to rent one but they may not have it time to ship to me, sooooooooooo like any good gear slut whore I bought one. Lol

Keep you posted on its functions and feel.

Post Thanks / Like

I got an A7 II this morning. First impressions are that it feels much heavier and bigger than I remember. I immediately ran into the IBIS bug when switching from the stock 28-70 lens to an old manual Nikon lens. Hard to see how Sony missed that one.

Not sure what to think yet. First few shots have the expected image quality but the IBIS is leaving me unimpressed so far and I'm not certain about the handling.
    Fuji X-T1 & Stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    If you are waiting for Sony to release an LCD cover, I don't think they will. The same cover for the RX series works on the A7ii:

Amazon.com : Sony PCKLM15 LCD Protector for DSC-RX1 (Black) : Digital Camera Screen Protector Foils : Camera & Photo

I just got one. Works beautifully.
    Is there an AR coating? Unlikely at that price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    Is there an AR coating? Unlikely at that price.
    Doubtful, as it's the same shield as all Sony shields.

The good news is that it is very easy it install and reinstall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay they vertical grip just showed up. MUST HAVE for verticals its so comfortable its scary. Everything is perfect balanced in your hand. Totally different than the A7 one. Even the battery cover for the camera to take off is now a switch and it retracts the pins do. Much better setup and the grip is to deeper. Now the C3 button is just dead on your thumb. So you may want to change that Function. Here maybe the zoom magnifier would be a good choice and the AF/MF button is just below it so a pretty handy 2 function setup here. The grip is pretty deep so plenty of gripping power. Its a keeper but it sure is a expensive one. 350 is a little over the top

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

BY the way...my first impression is that the color of the A7II is better than that of the A/ / A7s. Just my impression.
    C-AF also seems to work better than I expected for a mirrorless camera.
    The 24-70 seems to work fine on the A7II.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Maybe. I often hear the Story from the same sensor in various cams but output looks quite different. xvario vs T vs A vs Pentax K etc.
    You can expect, that the firmware is different.
    Jan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankapp View Post
    You can expect, that the firmware is different.
    Jan
    All I know is the output from those cameras is different from eachother and not so easy to make one to look like another. specially color.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't own this camera and probably won't buy it, at least not now, but did go through a few practical and ergonomic sides of it today, simulating shooting situations that would be typical for my line of work. Here are my comments:

- Nice shutter sound. Not unlike the E-1. I would be able to live with that.
    - Although better than the original version, the camera still feels small in my hand, and my thumb doesn't find any comfortable rest on the back. The vertical grip would probably help a lot.
    - I'm not sure what kind of card was used (I forgot to check), but I was surprised how long it took to empty a full buffer.
    - The viewfinder looks extremely crowded with all information visible and some of the symbols used weren't logically shaped or placed the way I see it. This may be because I'm used to the GH3, which is exemplary in this regard, but I feel it's worth a comment anyway.
    - The viewfinder generally didn't impress me, but I haven't used other mirrorless cameras in a while.
    - Even with "Image review" switched off, the viewfinder does show a slide show of taken photos during a burst. Each image coming up in the finder is clearly frozen, which wouldn't be the case if it showed real world action. The nice brochure that Sony has printed for this camera shows a number of motor sports photos, something I can say for sure that this camera is not suitable for, at least not on a professional level.

Generally, it's clearly a major upgrade from the first version, and a camera that it would be very easy to live with for most uses. Excellent size for travel and everyday use and not too heavy. I do see now that at least for the time being, I do prefer optical viewfinders, at least the large, good quality ones, compared to electronic ones.

Post Thanks / Like

A very useful thread - thank you all! I'm very interested in the A7II, but will probably hold off until it's clear what the successor of the A7R will look like. However, I'm very curious about IBIS performance with longer lenses (180mm to 400mm). I'd love to see some side-by-sides with IS on and off. TIA for any feedback on this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot 2000 images tonight with the A7II and the Za70-200 2.8 in continuos Af and it's pretty dang good. Not quite the A6000 but damn close and it's working great. Although I'm not thrilled at the compression with in camera jpegs. Little blotchy but sharp images. I may switch to raw as I still have to make files smaller for upload anyway and I'm thinking C1 maybe faster at processing to exact size needed than running a action in CS6 to make the files smaller. Not only that the compression is far better coming from the Raw. I'll shoot in the morning about another 1000 images than process them out than move on to shooting about another 2500 images later in the day but this smaller shoot I'm going to switch to raw. Plus I can make some adjustments than apply to all than run a big batch.

But more important this camera has what it needed now. I may buy a second one and closet it and just save it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The vertical grip is killer with it . I shot 3 solid hours straight with it and my arthritis did not kick in on my hands. Very comfortable shooting verticals.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I don't own this camera and probably won't buy it, at least not now, but did go through a few practical and ergonomic sides of it today, simulating shooting situations that would be typical for my line of work. Here are my comments:

- Nice shutter sound. Not unlike the E-1. I would be able to live with that.
    - Although better than the original version, the camera still feels small in my hand, and my thumb doesn't find any comfortable rest on the back. The vertical grip would probably help a lot.
    - I'm not sure what kind of card was used (I forgot to check), but I was surprised how long it took to empty a full buffer.
    - The viewfinder looks extremely crowded with all information visible and some of the symbols used weren't logically shaped or placed the way I see it. This may be because I'm used to the GH3, which is exemplary in this regard, but I feel it's worth a comment anyway.
    - The viewfinder generally didn't impress me, but I haven't used other mirrorless cameras in a while.
    - Even with "Image review" switched off, the viewfinder does show a slide show of taken photos during a burst. Each image coming up in the finder is clearly frozen, which wouldn't be the case if it showed real world action. The nice brochure that Sony has printed for this camera shows a number of motor sports photos, something I can say for sure that this camera is not suitable for, at least not on a professional level.

Generally, it's clearly a major upgrade from the first version, and a camera that it would be very easy to live with for most uses. Excellent size for travel and everyday use and not too heavy. I do see now that at least for the time being, I do prefer optical viewfinders, at least the large, good quality ones, compared to electronic ones.
    From everything I read the shutter sound is about the same or close to the same as the Sony A7mk1. I never have issues with buffer size or having to wait to take pictures even with my A7R so you most likely was experiencing a limitation of the SD card than the camera. I have image review off on all of my cameras and the camera simply will not review an image unless you press the image review button. User error possibly?

As for the motorsports photos I think you commented on this in the past and Chad showed F1 shots from the Austin Grand Prix so the camera is capable in the right hands but that doesn't mean it's the most capable when compared to something like a 1Dx or D4s.

The display has several overlays and they are all on by default unless to cycle through the "Display" button to change the information shown. I usually still with shutter speed, aperture value, ISO, battery reserve power, and the histogram - clean and simple. So chalk that up to user unfamiliarity.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    As for the motorsports photos I think you commented on this in the past and Chad showed F1 shots from the Austin Grand Prix so the camera is capable in the right hands but that doesn't mean it's the most capable when compared to something like a 1Dx or D4s.
    Chad presented pan shots of formula cars travelling down a straight in broad daylight. You can do that with a camera phone. The question was if the viewfinder presents a slide show or the real action. It presents a slide show, which won't reflect changes in speed and/or direction of the subject soon enough for pan shots at slow shutter speed to be sharp. A Digital Rebel from 10 years ago would be better suited for this.

In the A7 II brochure, Sony has used no less than 7 photos of moving cars, of which 2 are pan shots over one and two pages. They are clearly out to prove a point here. They tried the same when they launched the A77, where they showed a burst of a gymnast taken straight on. Since that was a video, any experienced sports shooter would see that the video showed a slide show, but normal consumers don't necessarily notice things like that.

As for the buffer, the A7 needs 19 seconds to empty the buffer when shooting jpegs and 11 second when shooting RAW (SanDisk Extreme Pro (95Mb/sec) SDHC card). I don't know the reason for the big difference, but 19 seconds is an eternity when shooting sports. That's almost as long as my Fuji S3 took back in 2005. The Fuji had a "somewhat" smaller buffer though; 3 frames when shooting RAW with maximum DR

I don't know if the A7 II is faster.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 7th January 2015 at 06:49.

Post Thanks / Like

From everything I read the shutter sound is about the same or close to the same as the Sony A7mk1.
    Shooting the A7s and A7II side by side the volume sounds about the same but the tone of the A7II is a little lower, a little less acute which can make it seem a little quieter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have yet to hit the buffer Raw or Jpeg. Difference is size no question and shutter seems a touch quieter than the A7 version 1. It actually maybe the sound itself maybe being more dense in tone. Not sure but I actually like it. I know Im actually firing the dang thing. The review takes the shooting speeds down. This show when shooting fast I just turn review off as that speeds the camera very much. Its so easy to hit review button when you get a chance to pause so its not a issue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Chad presented pan shots of formula cars travelling down a straight in broad daylight. You can do that with a camera phone. The question was if the viewfinder presents a slide show or the real action. It presents a slide show, which won't reflect changes in speed and/or direction of the subject soon enough for pan shots at slow shutter speed to be sharp. A Digital Rebel from 10 years ago would be better suited for this.

In the A7 II brochure, Sony has used no less than 7 photos of moving cars, of which 2 are pan shots over one and two pages. They are clearly out to prove a point here. They tried the same when they launched the A77, where they showed a burst of a gymnast taken straight on. Since that was a video, any experienced sports shooter would see that the video showed a slide show, but normal consumers don't necessarily notice things like that.

As for the buffer, the A7 needs 19 seconds to empty the buffer when shooting jpegs and 11 second when shooting RAW (SanDisk Extreme Pro (95Mb/sec) SDHC card). I don't know the reason for the big difference, but 19 seconds is an eternity when shooting sports. That's almost as long as my Fuji S3 took back in 2005. The Fuji had a "somewhat" smaller buffer though; 3 frames when shooting RAW with maximum DR

I don't know if the A7 II is faster.
    I only use Sandisk Extreme and a Extreme Pros with write speeds varying between. 45-95/MB... I've never had an issue waiting on the camera to take my next shot in my normal uses. I'm not saying you wouldn't but you really need to live with one to make an informed opinion regarding the FE cameras.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only use Sandisk Extreme and a Extreme Pros with write speeds varying between. 45-95/MB... I've never had an issue waiting on the camera to take my next shot in my normal uses. I'm not saying you wouldn't but you really need to live with one to make an informed opinion regarding the FE cameras.
    The test we did was relatively extreme from a "normal" users point of view. We shot several bursts totaling somewhere between 50 and 100 jpegs until the buffer was full, typically something that would happen at a sports event. I didn't time the emptying of the buffer myself, but found the figures at dpr, who are usually very reliable when it comes to technical facts like that. For most photographers, this won't be an issue at all, and the buffer seems to be more than deep enough for any "normal" use.