The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

k-hawinkler

The Most Brutal SD Card Torture Test Ever - YouTube
Video for sd card testing video, camera store► 7:24► 7:24
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUw9T4Skfgg
Jun 15, 2011 - Uploaded by TheCameraStoreTV
The Camera Store's Chris Niccolls created the worst torture test for SD cards yet recorded ...

cam

Curious for all you A7ii owners… How many stops are recoverable if you underexpose?

I'm still trying to suss this out on my A7s -- which is definitely less than the RX1, a surprise to me… I didn't know if the A7ii sensor was closer to the RX1 (excuse my ignorance but they're both 24MP) than the A7s in this regard?

V

Vivek

Jono, if you believe in the saying, "what you don't know does not hurt you" then yes, Leica Ms are weather sealed. The BG filter/cover glass deteriorates with moisture.

Like Monza correctly pointed out this weather sealing has its limits and i try to play within those limits. :)

V

Vivek

Question for David (or anyone that it applies to):

How does CV12/5.6 behave with the A7 II (with the LR profile applied)? TIA.

horshack

Curious for all you A7ii owners… How many stops are recoverable if you underexpose?

I'm still trying to suss this out on my A7s -- which is definitely less than the RX1, a surprise to me… I didn't know if the A7ii sensor was closer to the RX1 (excuse my ignorance but they're both 24MP) than the A7s in this regard?
The A7II likely has the same sensor as the A7 and thus the same base ISO dynamic range, which is very close to the RX1. Here is a low and high ISO comparison I did between the A7r, A7, and A7s - look at the ISO 100 -5EV for a comparison of base ISO DR/shadow pushing:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/51144-high-iso-test-a7s-vs-df-vs-a7r-vs-a7.html

Viramati

will try it out though from using it on the A7s I find the profile In lr5 over corrects for vignetting so I have made a preset that compensates for this

jonoslack

Jono, if you believe in the saying, "what you don't know does not hurt you" then yes, Leica Ms are weather sealed. The BG filter/cover glass deteriorates with moisture.
That's a bit of a red herring Vivek:

The cover glass issue is a real one, but it's happening to everyone (not just those in humid climates) - but whilst Leica have agreed to replace them free of charge without a time limit I'm reasonably happy (both my MM and my M9 are affected, but not so that you can see it in images - I'll replace the sensor when the rush dies down). It'll be a bother, but it does at least mean that I'll get a new main board and sensor in cameras way out of their warranty period - free of charge.

. . . and anyway, it's the M(240) which is weathersealed, and NOT the M9/MM - and they don't have the same BG filter - so they won't have that particular problem :p

I wouldn't trust the M as much as the Olympus, because the lenses aren't sealed, but both of mine have survived heavy showers without issue.

Like Monza correctly pointed out this weather sealing has its limits and i try to play within those limits. :)
No it doesn't - I radically disagree - As far as I can see personally The E-M1 and the Pentax K3/5/7 are unlimited in terms of rain usage . . . at least: - 9 hours in pouring rain is all I can manage, so in those terms the E-M1 has unlimited weather sealing . . . at one point on that particular walk the camera had turned upright against my jacket and there was a small pond in the lens hood - still no condensation / ingress etc. and 10 months later both camera and lens are behaving immaculately (having had several other good soakings since).

But - as sc_John's link to the press release of the A7ii, and looking at the body itself, it seems to me that perhaps they have done something about it. No doubt I'll find out, the camera seems to be a keeper.

However - it would be nice to get some more insight into exactly what Sony have done and will support. Knowledge is power, and it would be good to know what they mean by
The camera is designed to be used by photographers in any number of situations without having to worry about the safety of their cameras
(from the press release)

All the best

jonoslack

Hi Cam
I've no idea why, but it seems that less pixels = less dynamic range (born out by the DxO marks) - so it would seem to be true what you're observing.

I reckon the A7ii has basically the same sensor as the RX1

best

Viramati

12/5.6 version 1 at 5.6 focus 3m, iso 1/100. Raw covered with Adobe DNG convertor into Lr5, Voigtlander profile with vignetting set to 44. tone curve medium, custom sharpening preset and tone curve to medium

profile performs well for corner shading. I find less smearing with the A7s

View attachment 84828

jonoslack

profile performs well for corner shading. I find less smearing with the A7s
hi David
thank you! that's what I would have expected. I didn't expect the A7ii to play differently with M lenses. I'm still getting smeary corners with the 35FLE and the 35 'cron (although that might be the fault of my Metabones adapter). I'll be interested to test it with the VME adapter when it comes.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, I was going to use that very word, "redherring" but wasn't sure of the spelling. :ROTFL: We disagree but that is OK. :)

jonoslack

Hi Vivek. Red Herring is a good expression. I was using it to relate to your brining up exfoliating M9 sensors in relation to weathersealing, whereas ther is, of course, no relationship (as the m9 was not weathersealed).

V

Vivek

I know what that means, Jono. There are quite a few nebulous factors involved and can't castigate one manufacturer over the other for a particular shortcoming. Of course, it is not that difficult to formulate preferences based on facts.

cam

hi David
thank you! that's what I would have expected. I didn't expect the A7ii to play differently with M lenses. I'm still getting smeary corners with the 35FLE and the 35 'cron (although that might be the fault of my Metabones adapter). I'll be interested to test it with the VME adapter when it comes.
Monday is a big strike day here, but I'll get it out on Tuesday… Inquiring minds want to know!

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I was going to use that very word, "redherring" but wasn't sure of the spelling. :ROTFL: We disagree but that is OK. :)
I understand you disagree with me. But I don't understand what you disagree with as I'm not aware of having stated an opinion!

I'm just interested to know whether the A7ii has better weather sealing (as they appear to say) as I'd like to be able to shoot in the rain as I have been able with lots of my previous cameras.

Annna T

Hi Cam
I've no idea why, but it seems that less pixels = less dynamic range (born out by the DxO marks) - so it would seem to be true what you're observing.

I reckon the A7ii has basically the same sensor as the RX1

best
Possible explanation :
DR in the direction of the shadows depends upon noise and DXO mesures the sensor performance either on screen, or from a print @ a given size and resolution (I think it is an 8MB picture ?). A higher resolution (36mb against 24mb) means more data to sample from and thus less noise in the shadows and thus higher DR.

I have read that somewhere but I don't remember who explained that.