The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Steve P.

Perhaps Sony have done something to address the problem? Dunno.
Now to me this would be big news. I know from experience not to get my hopes up in relation to adapted M lens performance on other makes of camera but I'll certainly be looking out for further info. I have the 15mm VM and the 25 ZM, both of which have issues with the A7 Mk1 and most particularly on the A7r. I like to crop so I'm hesitant to commit to 12mp but if the Mk. 2 is closer to the A7s performance wise then I'm all over it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just did this in LR now and it seems a lot better than my previous processing in ACR which I am not a fan of. At least in LR i know my settings better. Now is this better than the A7 its a great question and I am leaning to think it is. Seriously this looks a lot like my A7r. Shot with the Canon 24mm TSE

barjohn

Guy,
To my eye there is a crispness to these images where I can feel the coarseness of the cinder blocks and there texture in the first image and can almost count each blade of grass and red flower in the second! In other words very good images.

darrellc

Since there is some talk about lenses...
I also did some quick snaps on the A7 with 24-70 vs 16-35 Zeiss, all at f4.0

My 24-70 seems (clearly) better than 16-35 in the corners at 35mm,
at 28mm not much difference between the 2,
at 24mm the 16-35 beats the 24-70 in the corners, but just slightly (all at f4.0)-the 24-70 still seems acceptable. I had expected a bigger difference compared to the 16-35.

For me the 24-70 is ettential lens in the lineup.
I haven't shot much with my 16-35 yet but did notice improvement stopping down to f5.6 in a few shots towards the 35 end...

mesposito

I shot in Downtown Dallas today with the A7ii. I'll post a few of them. Here's the first. Most are big cityscapes, and a bit harder on 24mp. (Lightroom, very little processing. 24-70mm FE, ISO 100, f/7)

jonoslack

Yes the clarity and accountancy is there big time
I'm glad to hear the accountancy is good from your side Guy. it's not looking so good here with both the 70-200 and the 16-35 looming. (my accountant won't like it).

On the other hand this camera seems to be a thing of joy and wonder. Of course, new cameras are always exciting, and these days they're almost always good. But finding one to fall in love with is much rarer: A family evening with the camera and the 55 has proved very seductive: everything just seems to work, including low light focusing. Responsive, And Fun.

I'm off to bed !

mesposito

Here's another from Dallas. On the bottom there are a couple of guys that you can barely see. Blew them up to show detail. BTW, the native print size is 13 x 20.

Here are some of the design changes I like (so far)

- The bigger grip works for me. I have small hands and it feels more secure.
- Having the menu button on an angle seems better
- The weight gain gives the camera a denser feel. (Ok for me)

I'll do some print tests tomorrow. Not really expecting to see anything different from the A7.

I know most of you have been testing the IBIS and that's obviously the big upgrade. I'll see what I did at some slower shutter speeds and post something. My first go at this was just usability and basic image quality. It was fun to use, and still a relatively light package. (A7ii with FE 24-70mm)

ryc

I just did this in LR now and it seems a lot better than my previous processing in ACR which I am not a fan of. At least in LR i know my settings better. Now is this better than the A7 its a great question and I am leaning to think it is. Seriously this looks a lot like my A7r. Shot with the Canon 24mm TSE

Guy,

That picture is sacrilegious ! I had a Steinway AIII 1927 and if anyone put anything on top of it I would have killed them.

My friend who sells pianos and quite often to people just looking for decoration jokingly asks if they want the strings or not :)

k-hawinkler

People can argue till the cats come home if it is better or worse than the Oly cams , I say I shoot Sony now so who cares as long as it does the job. This is a big reason I have my heart on saying this is the Camera of the Year 2014. This is a big plus right here, solid mount and much much better ergos.
The A7II - Best camera of 2014 hands down and I have used them ALL., December 16, 2014 By Steve Huff
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Alpha a7II Interchangeable Digital Lens Camera - Body Only

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I did buy from Amazon actually. Biggest reason, easier return policy. But than I bought my 16-35 from B&H . No tax

I use both