The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well! The 16-35/4 at 28mm is very good! No complaints out to the corners. Pictures to follow.

The CY 28/2.8 is bad, or my adapter is bad, or I'm bad... It looked ok on the Canon. But with the 16-35 performance, I don't really care.

More to come,

Matt

Viramati

As an aside try doing a sensor clean and the it really shakes about unlike the first generation A7's. Sounds like it should shake anything off

Last edited:

Paratom

ok, I share some first impressions:
-For my hand the position of the A7I shutter release feels a little more natural than that of the A7II; The camera feels good and a little more solid than the A7I, but here I say it: I slightly prefer the smaller size and shutter release position of the A7I
-The A7II seems slightly better damped in regards of shutter noise, but not really big difference
-faster AF and anti shake are the real benefits IMO
-more when I have had the chance to use the camera for some time

limbonaut

Quick impressions. Overall I like it, but don't love it yet.

I started in digital with Minolta and carried over to Sony for a while when I left for Nikon and Pentax for better high ISO. I've missed the early Minolta glass since defecting and got the A7ii to allow me to use some of those lenses.

Positives:

Relatively fast AF although I did not have an A7I - I do have an E-M1 and an A6000 and they are both a little quicker.

Very solid body. Feels quite good in the hand.

Shutter (sound and damping) is light years better than the A6000 and close to the E-M1.

Negatives (for me):

Not overly impressed with high ISO compared to the A6000. Only slightly better - expected more.

Viewfinder is behind the E-M1 - also any view slightly off angle into the finder produces blurred edges on the screen - maybe optical glass on my copy is not great??

Card door is not snug enough. I can feel it settle a little under my hand when I pick up the camera.

I don't see the 3 plus stops others are seeing with the IBIS. E-M1 is better in my opinion. Its nice to have though.

MGrayson

This is my first Sony camera, and the interface is a bit overwhelming. Format a card? Turn off IBIS? I'm not sure I can find them again!

Anyway, is there a decent setup guide? I know everyone's use is different, but the manual has no suggestions at all.

Thanks,

Matt

dandrewk

I don't see how comparing full frame with smaller sensor cameras makes any sense, even when non-sensor features are compared. It's like comparing an SUV vs. a sports car.

Two different animals in more ways than one. If you want to compare APS-C cameras, do so against other APS-C cameras. These direct comparisons (NOT comparisons involving lens lineups) between Fuji (Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic etc.) cameras and Sony FF cameras make no sense to me.

I understand a big choice is sensor size. That should be made FIRST, and then throw out all options that don't include that sensor size.

I'm not picking on any single person, as I've seen these comparisons throughout several photography forums when gear is discussed. Heck, some "professional reviewers" make comparisons.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Smaller sensors than full frame in regards to IBIs has less travel distance to settle the sensor compared to FF as that has further travel because of the bigger size. So comparing the 2 systems is kind of moot point. They simply are not equal. So given exactly the same IBIS setup in both systems the smaller format will always seem better.

MGrayson

I don't see how comparing full frame with smaller sensor cameras makes any sense, even when non-sensor features are compared. It's like comparing an SUV vs. a sports car.
I loved the Vespa ad: more headroom than a Rolls Royce!

But I believe there's a lot of value comparing different formats, as long as it is in the service of helping decide the best tool for the job and not some weird competition. I want a shallow DoF, so larger sensors help. If someone wants deep DoF, then the advantage goes to smaller sensor. It's a surprisingly difficult discussion to have. Equivalence is a a fascinating topic, but causes instant fights.

Best,

Matt

dandrewk

I loved the Vespa ad: more headroom than a Rolls Royce!

But I believe there's a lot of value comparing different formats, as long as it is in the service of helping decide the best tool for the job and not some weird competition. I want a shallow DoF, so larger sensors help. If someone wants deep DoF, then the advantage goes to smaller sensor. It's a surprisingly difficult discussion to have. Equivalence is a a fascinating topic, but causes instant fights.

Best,

Matt
Oh, I agree with that, and it's a legitimate and useful discussion. That's why it is the first and most important choice when buying a new camera.

What gets me is when a comparison is made regarding size, and (shock of shocks :D ) the APS-C camera wins because it's smaller. Or costs, when it is "discovered" FF cameras are more pricey. Once the sensor size is decided, all comparisons to another sensor size become moot.

limbonaut

Smaller sensors than full frame in regards to IBIs has less travel distance to settle the sensor compared to FF as that has further travel because of the bigger size. So comparing the 2 systems is kind of moot point. They simply are not equal. So given exactly the same IBIS setup in both systems the smaller format will always seem better.
Right, but it seems like there was early talk about this being equivalent to the e-m1 system and it isn't. It's good to know what's what.

What's interesting is that there was a "leak" just before the a6000 was released that there was IBiS and there was even a preliminary manual section which suggested IBIS. I never understood why the a6000 had a deeper body for no reason but now I suspect ibis was intended but not ultimately releaed in the a6000. Hopefully it will appear on the next aps-c model. If so I'll let go of my remianing m43.

Viramati

So IBIS with adaptor definitely not working again this morning. It seems to happen when I have been using a FE OSS lens then mount the adaptor and a manual lens. tuning IBIS on and off, mounting and unmounting the lens makes no difference but if I put an FE lens on and then remount adapted lens it can start working again.

k-hawinkler

So IBIS with adaptor definitely not working again this morning. It seems to happen when I have been using a FE OSS lens then mount the adaptor and a manual lens. tuning IBIS on and off, mounting and unmounting the lens makes no difference but if I put an FE lens on and then remount adapted lens it can start working again.
That looks like a firmware bug. Thanks.
Could others verify that please?

Annna T

Two different animals in more ways than one. If you want to compare APS-C cameras, do so against other APS-C cameras. These direct comparisons (NOT comparisons involving lens lineups) between Fuji (Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic etc.) cameras and Sony FF cameras make no sense to me.

I understand a big choice is sensor size. That should be made FIRST, and then throw out all options that don't include that sensor size.

I'm not picking on any single person, as I've seen these comparisons throughout several photography forums when gear is discussed. Heck, some "professional reviewers" make comparisons.
Well people like to compare what they have and to know what performance they can expect, especially when they are using several systems like most people here seems to do. Personally I have three systems and like to compare how my A7r performs against the Canon 6d, or the E-M5, what I gain and what I loose when using one or the other. And I like to hear from people having the same systems.
Olympus OMD system is offering some striking performances in the mirrorless department : high IQ EVF, incredible IBIS and AF speed and high fps, add a good compromise between size and IQ plus a great lens line and it is very appealing. Of course using a smaller sensor make the first four performances easier to achieve.

But each one can choose the compromise he prefer, or can have several systems to achieve different tasks. Comparing the strength and weakness of each system with respect to the other makes sense in this respect and is just why we are discussing on these forum. Because we recognize strength in another system doesn't take away anything away from the advantages of the others.

Annna T

Are you turning the camera off before changing lenses ? Forgoing that step may cause your problem. Also using the Metabones smart adapter for EOS lenses, when I switch from MF to AF I have to use the hardware switch on the lens and before changing that switch I have to set the body off and then on again to reinitialize the AF mode. May be you are getting into a similar scenario ?

Viramati

maybe though thinking about it when I tried it last thing last night it was working and then again this morning without changing lens it wasn't. can still here the noise of it kicking in when i start up (at least that is what the store manager told me it is) and a slight whirring noise when I hold the camera to my ear