The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

jafleming3

[Had a few no Af at all and froze up. Of course I removed battery and rebooted but not sure where it's coming from. This was before and after firmware update and with native FE and ZA lenses. I'm leaning at vertical grip. I did remove it for my assistant tonight. He seems to be running okay. But this is a guess. My other thought we been shooting all day and camera got warm from heavy shooting. We clicked in about 2900 images today

I had this problem twice w/ my A7R - wouldn't focus at all, manual nor auto; turned off camera, removed lens, re-attached lens, turned on camera, and...voila!...problem solved. The issue arose w/ both adapter and FE lens. I wonder what causes it? Not an issue w/ my 7S or A7-II, yet. Perhaps it doesn't happen often enough to warrant a repair or FW upgrade.

I tried my new A7-II for a week and love it. Fast. Everything in focus. Excellent IQ. No complaints whatsoever. Love the ergonomics and heft as well. My two keepers are the A7S and the A7-II (the 7R will be up for sale).

john

Mark Muse

Is anyone experiencing color moire problems with the A7II? I am. Lots of it. I can correct it but shouldn't have to. I am thinking something is wrong with my unit. I am also having a lot of dirt on sensor. The shake cleaning doesn't seem to dislodge it. Anyone else?

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for your feedback regarding manual focal length settings for IBIS, Anna and Matt! Sounds very promising, indeed. I'll hold off until Sony announces the successor of the A7R, but will try to get ahold of an A7II for testing before then, if possible...

JMaher

Mark,
I haven't seen any particular moire problems but I suspect if would depend upon what you are shooting. My A7II has not needed any cleaning as of yet but I have cleaned my A7r with a senor stick. In either camera I have not seen any unusual pickup of dust compared to Nikon or Canon.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay after 3 days shooting a event in a lot of low light. I'm questioning the Phase detection system in low light with the 24-70 especially but even so on the 16-35 as I had some freeze ups on focusing. The AF points would light up but become stuck there for like the next shot or so. I'm thinking maybe turning the Phase detection off. This is using F4 lenses for one at ISO 1250 so I'm talking pretty low light. I shot about 2 k images and it happened about 10 times . This is about the only real issue I have come across outside several weeks ago complete freeze up which this time did not happen. IBIS is outstanding even with a monopod so the camera is performing well but this phase detection is something maybe some firmware can help. Thoughts on using it in low light would be helpful.

Honestly the more I use the 24-70 and luckily I just rent it but the more I dislike the lens for PR stuff. I'm actually thinking of waiting for the new A 24-70 2.8 version II coming out or some other 24-70 2.8. F4 sometimes is just to slow. Now the 28 F2 might be a option to wait for also. I like that idea better since I'm trying to lose some weight.

iiiNelson

Okay after 3 days shooting a event in a lot of low light. I'm questioning the Phase detection system in low light with the 24-70 especially but even so on the 16-35 as I had some freeze ups on focusing. The AF points would light up but become stuck there for like the next shot or so. I'm thinking maybe turning the Phase detection off. This is using F4 lenses for one at ISO 1250 so I'm talking pretty low light. I shot about 2 k images and it happened about 10 times . This is about the only real issue I have come across outside several weeks ago complete freeze up which this time did not happen. IBIS is outstanding even with a monopod so the camera is performing well but this phase detection is something maybe some firmware can help. Thoughts on using it in low light would be helpful.

Honestly the more I use the 24-70 and luckily I just rent it but the more I dislike the lens for PR stuff. I'm actually thinking of waiting for the new A 24-70 2.8 version II coming out or some other 24-70 2.8. F4 sometimes is just to slow. Now the 28 F2 might be a option to wait for also. I like that idea better since I'm trying to lose some weight.
Guy that was my exact experience with the 24-70FE. It's fine for outdoor shooting from dawn to dusk but in lower or varying concert style light indoors at ISO 1600+ led me to selling it and sticking with lenses no slower than f/2. I'm keeping an eye for the 28/2 as I'm interested in how it performs with the 21mm adapter. I'm hoping the distortion isn't too bad and the light loss not too great plus it may be a great match with the 55FE (although I'm usually am not ild about 28mm.)

As for AF performance in low light the A7s is rock solid. I don't know how large you need to print if at all but that is worth a consideration to add/ rent on one of these jobs. I'm really hoping they can get the A7sII up in the 16-20 range while maintaining similar high ISO performance.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I just given up on the 24-70 it just does not focus well in poor light. The 16-35 does much better although it happens it's less of a issue.

Guy Mancuso

Like a A7sII if they come out with one. 12mpx can handle almost all PR stuff

But first comes the A7r replacement. I'm jumping all over it

iiiNelson

Yea I just given up on the 24-70 it just does not focus well in poor light. The 16-35 does much better although it happens it's less of a issue.
Surprisingly the 24-70 does well on the A7s (as does the 70-200.) I haven't handled the 16-35FE because I'm sort of wanting to see how the Tamron 15-30/2.8 performs on higher resolution bodies. I have my doubts that the 16-35FE will give us the best resolution.

V

Vivek

Guy, How many shutter actuations do you have on your A7 II so far? From your reports it seems like a lot.

BTW, I tried a PM to you and got a message that you have exceeded your quota! I did not know that you also had a limit!

Guy Mancuso

If I had to guess about 17 thousand so far. Thanks I'll clean up my mailbox

For a brand new camera it's getting some mileage . Lol

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Apropos the 16-35/4 FE, I tested it against the CY 21/2.8 on the A7II and found it slightly better in the corners, both at f8. Someone at FM said that was a) impossible and b) probably the result of a bad CY->FE adapter, which is known to be too thin. To test the second possibility, I got a CY->M adapter and mounted that on the Voigtlander helical M->FE adapter. *That* combination proved sharpest at zero offset, so I tested the single CY->FE adapter against the stack, and found the stack sharper.

The final result? Almost identical corner sharpness between the CY 21/2.8 and the FE 16-35/4 at 21mm, both at f8. Now I *like* the CY 21, and it is a stop faster, but the convenience and quality of the zoom makes me (still) very happy. If the 15-30/2.8 is better still, that will be :thumbs:!

--Matt

Guy Mancuso

I have a very good copy of the 16-35 and from some testing against some serious TSE glass it's right there with them both with a 17 which was so far hard to tell the difference . Against canons amazing 24TSe version II which is still the best 24mm I have used its a shade below it and I mean a shade. So the 16-35 in my mind is a monster lens until about 28mm than it gives way to better 35 lenses. I'm going to buy the new 35 1.4 Zeiss when it comes out along with the Mitikon 50 and my ZA 85 that will give me 3 fast lenses and the 16-35. That will give me a serious kit.
My lineup now is
16-35
Canon 24tse with 1.4 extender
Sony 35 2.8 will be replaced with the 1.4
Mitikon 50
ZA 85
Minolta 200
That's a bad *** kit if you ask me

dandrewk

I have a very good copy of the 16-35 and from some testing against some serious TSE glass it's right there with them both with a 17 which was so far hard to tell the difference . Against canons amazing 24TSe version II which is still the best 24mm I have used its a shade below it and I mean a shade. So the 16-35 in my mind is a monster lens until about 28mm than it gives way to better 35 lenses. I'm going to buy the new 35 1.4 Zeiss when it comes out along with the Mitikon 50 and my ZA 85 that will give me 3 fast lenses and the 16-35. That will give me a serious kit.
My lineup now is
16-35
Mitikon 50
ZA 85
Minolta 200
Save some $$$ for the Mitakon 35 F/0.95. You can't have too many uber fast lenses.

Yeah, we love spending your money. :D

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I know I've said this in different threads but I'll repeat it - the FE 16-35 is a real jewel and by far the best WA zoom I've ever owned. I don't actually shoot at wide angles much because I "see long" and tend to shoot more in the 70-150 mm range. But the 16-35 is so good I find myself seeking subjects where I need it!

ErikKaffehr

Hi Guy,

With the 50MP rumours around I consider taking the leap to Sony A7rII/A9. What they will call it? So, that rises the question about lenses.

Interesting to read that you consider the 16-35/4 to be an excellent lens. I am also interested in high performing large aperture lens on the short tele side, the 85/1.4 ZA may fill that bill.

What is your take on keeping that 24-70/2.8 ZA, versus the 24-70/4?

Best regards
Erik

I have A-mount stuff right now:

Sigma 10/3.5 Fisheye (APS-C) (OK-)
Sony 16-80/3.5-4.5 (APS-C) (good)
Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 (Full frame) (OK--)
Sony 24-70/2.8 (Full frame) (good with weaknesses)
Sony 70-400/4-5.6 (Full frame) (good)

And so I have some other stuff from a company that used to be a Swedish company.

Best regards
Erik

My lineup now is
16-35
Mitikon 50
ZA 85
Minolta 200