The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great question. Given the fact that in low light the 24-70 F4 struggles the ZA2.8 might be a better choice. The FE lens is pretty good in good light optically but if I was sitting on the ZA 24-70 not sure I would switch it out. Now there is a version II rumored of the ZA. Now a lot of folks like the F4 and I have seen some nice images, I just can't warm up to it. I owned one sold it and rented several times.

I would rent it and try it when the new cams come out. If you can in your country

But the 16-35 is worth the purchase. It at 16mm was a pixel away from the Canon 17mm TSE which is highly rated. So on the wide side the zoom really does rock. I'll be out doing landscape with it for a week so that will be a good test on it.

ErikKaffehr

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Erik

Great question. Given the fact that in low light the 24-70 F4 struggles the ZA2.8 might be a better choice. The FE lens is pretty good in good light optically but if I was sitting on the ZA 24-70 not sure I would switch it out. Now there is a version II rumored of the ZA. Now a lot of folks like the F4 and I have seen some nice images, I just can't warm up to it. I owned one sold it and rented several times.

I would rent it and try it when the new cams come out. If you can in your country

But the 16-35 is worth the purchase. It at 16mm was a pixel away from the Canon 17mm TSE which is highly rated. So on the wide side the zoom really does rock. I'll be out doing landscape with it for a week so that will be a good test on it.

Good news, the camera plate(s) for the A7II are finally being shipped from Really Right Stuff.
If you don't need the L-plate for vertical mounting, the RRS general purpose BP-CS plate is a nearly perfect fit for the a7ii (and it's a little cheaper than the 'fitted' plate.) I was happy to discover this, since I already had one laying around!

Viramati

Personally from an ergonomic POV I would be very wary of adding the grip. The A7 that my dealer loaned while my A7II is being repaired came with one and I just can't understand why anyone would want it. I find it to be very uncomfortable to use in both the horizontal and vertical positions and just adds to bulk and weight thus totally removing the small size advantage that the A7 has over it's competitors. I took it off after 30 minutes use.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Personally from an ergonomic POV I would be very wary of adding the grip. The A7 that my dealer loaned while my A7II is being repaired came with one and I just can't understand why anyone would want it. I find it to be very uncomfortable to use in both the horizontal and vertical positions and just adds to bulk and weight thus totally removing the small size advantage that the A7 has over it's competitors. I took it off after 30 minutes use.
Given the bulkier grip and the different position of the shutter release etc etc on the Mark2, I wonder if your comments would apply to that model?

iiiNelson

I mostly use the A7 and A7r with a grip. I find both cameras to be way more comfortable for my larger hands with the grip. It actually feels weird to use it without the grips on them now.

mathomas

Hi all,
I just got my A7ii about a week ago. I know I'm late to the party, but my local camera shop was having trouble getting a copy. I've been mostly enjoying shooting my Leica R lenses on it, so far.

I've started a video series on my experiences with the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgfHW9MwE4
VKgfHW9MwE4

- Mike

Viramati

I mostly use the A7 and A7r with a grip. I find both cameras to be way more comfortable for my larger hands with the grip. It actually feels weird to use it without the grips on them now.
As ever it is a case of personal preference. I would just advise anyone thinking of buying one to try it out in a store first as it is not a cheap addition.

iiiNelson

As ever it is a case of personal preference. I would just advise anyone thinking of buying one to try it out in a store first as it is not a cheap addition.
I agree 100%. I bought one for the A7R first because it "required" impeccable technique and stability to shoot handheld. I just wasn't getting the stability I needed without the grip. As my pinky and ring finger don't feel as stable with smaller cameras.

I also shot my M's with a half case and built in grip at all times for the same reason.