The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Try something fresh and new here. Love to see as folks get there new cam some great user comments, feature sets, useful new functions and things that will help others make smart buying decisions about upgrading it or going in new. Sort of a Pro and Cons type of thread. Have fun

V

Vivek

I am interested in the camera for the SS ("Steady Shot") it offers and the better overall build. Should be a swell camera! :)

PS: Given the fact that it comes with a 3 year, all inclusive, service warranty here, the price is also acceptable.

iiiNelson

I'm excited about this camera as well. Mostly as its a precursor to what we can possibly expect in the A9 series. Definitely looks like a worthy upgrade or entry into the FE system. Looks like they worked over the JPEG engine as well compared to he original cameras (not that they were bad and not like I used JPEG ever.)

The Eagle has landed.

Picked mine up a couple hours ago. Haven't had a lot of time to play but here are some very early impressions.

1. IBIS is as advertised. Works great with my A-mount 135/1.8 on the LAEA. No visual confirmation of IBIS status like you had on A-mount which I miss, but it is doing its job.

2. Ergonomics - hmmm, I'm not as excited as some reviewers. I prefer the original A7's front and rear dials for aperture and shutter as they are much more rigid and provide better feedback. The new plastic dials are soft and quiet so will likely be a personal preference. I also don't care for how close the front dial is to the power switch. I have already turned the camera off inadvertently once. The shutter button placement, at first appears to be more ideal but I'm not so sure. It is positioned farther to the right of the camera body so you have to pull your finger away from the camera in order to fit the fingertip on the button. Maybe with a soft release I could get used to shooting using the crease of my finger which would be more comfortable. The button itself is less spongy than the A7's and requires less pressure to activate.

Haven't noticed any difference in the EVF although there may be some.

Keep in mind, I griped about some of the ergonomics of the original when it came out but today it feels like second nature to operate.

Beyond IBIS and ergonomics I haven't dug too deep yet but I did discover one KILLER feature that I am not aware was available on the A7 or A7s - Focus Hold. You can now program Focus Hold to any of the custom buttons, allowing you to hold initial focus between multiple shots. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had this feature outside of my lenses that have a hold button. BTW, C3 is about the only button you can comfortably program this feature to.

Edit* adding additional info from member questions directly to this initial post....

Steady Shot, when turned on, will activate when using focus zoom. You do NOT have to have the shutter half-pressed to activate.

In normal composition view (not zoomed in) you DO need to press the shutter to activate Steady Shot.

I think this is a very smart way to get the benefit of IBIS without a constant battery drain.

I confirmed this on the LAEA-4, the TechArt Contax G adapter, a VM M-mount adapter (no electronics) and a Fotodiox Contax G adapter (no electronics)

Auto ISO works the same as it always has on the A7 bodies. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Last edited:

Tim

The button itself is less spongy than the A7's and requires less pressure to activate.
Does the shutter button have any kind of half stop feel for focus lock?
I am pleased it feels less spongy, seems they took that fix onboard.

So far I am in, but in Australia we seem to be getting stock in 2015.

ggibson

I did discover one KILLER feature that I am not aware was available on the A7 or A7s - Focus Hold. You can now program Focus Hold to any of the custom buttons, allowing you to hold initial focus between multiple shots. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had this feature outside of my lenses that have a hold button. BTW, C3 is about the only button you can comfortably program this feature to.
Interesting. I usually just click the button on the AF/MF switch (going into MF) if I want to "lock" focus between shots.

Thanks for your impressions on the ergonomics, btw.

One quick question--is there any menu option for minimum shutter speed with Auto-ISO?

^^^

There is a review that claims IBIS is only activated at time of shutter release for third party lenses with no info supplied by the lens. This includes Nikon, Leica and several others.

Can you verify this if you have the appropriate lens and adapter? It would be a disappointed to not have IBIS for manual focus, especially when zoomed in.

From my tests:

Steady Shot, when turned on, will activate when using focus zoom. You do NOT have to have the shutter half-pressed to activate.

In normal composition view (not zoomed in) you DO need to press the shutter to activate Steady Shot.

I think this is a very smart way to get the benefit of IBIS without a constant battery drain.

I confirmed this on the LAEA-4, the TechArt Contax G adapter, a VM M-mount adapter (no electronics) and a Fotodiox Contax G adapter (no electronics)

Interesting. I usually just click the button on the AF/MF switch (going into MF) if I want to "lock" focus between shots.

Thanks for your impressions on the ergonomics, btw.

One quick question--is there any menu option for minimum shutter speed with Auto-ISO?

That's because you are smarter/craftier than me. Apparently.

Heheh, thanks for the tip. I will use this.

The nice thing about a proper Focus Hold feature is that you don't have to remember to reset the AF. The downside is that you have to keep the button engaged and it is a slightly awkward placement.

dandrewk

For some fun, remove the lens and look at the sensor. Now half press the shutter release to activate IBIS. It does indeed jiggle quite a bit.

dandrewk

Doing AF tests, walking around the house focusing on objects in dark shadow. I had the A7 and A7ii, using the FE55 lens.

My initial, unscientific result - the A7ii is improved in finding and locking focus in dark situations. I also noticed the rack focus was noticeably faster on the A7ii. When it wandered, it wandered faster. It seemed clear that Sony cranked up the AF motor a bit.

More testing to follow.

Does the shutter button have any kind of half stop feel for focus lock?
I am pleased it feels less spongy, seems they took that fix onboard.

So far I am in, but in Australia we seem to be getting stock in 2015.
No, I'm not noticing any half stop at all. It is very linear.

Somebody please care to answer gibbon's question ?
No min shutter speed (in the A7r) bothered me too.

TIA

Kind regards.
I don't have the A7II (yet) but on the other A7 bodies I find convenient to set both aperture and speed in manual in combination with Auto Iso as a workaround with even more control compared to setting the min shutter speed.

iiiNelson

Somebody please care to answer gibbon's question ?
No min shutter speed (in the A7r) bothered me too.

TIA

Kind regards.
I wouldn't expect much change as the AutoISO works as it did on the A77 and NEX-5. I generally dial in my own ISO and/or shoot M mode for this reason.