Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: some wishes for the A9

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

some wishes for the A9

OK, here is my personal wishlist for the Sony A9:
    - Give it a Display on the top side like DSLRs so that I can easily and quickly see the most important Settings.
    - Reduce the number of Buttons, increase the size of Buttons, and lable the Buttons. More like the user Interface of a DSLR.
    - Give it 4k in camera without external Recorder
    - let us choose in auot-iso to set the longest exposure time before camera increases ISO so that I can use auo iso also for non-static things
    - Give us a mode so I can use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for Review (maybe possible allready and I didnt find the Setting?)
    -give it a 24MP with a nice compromise between Resolution and high iso capability so that I dont have to own 2 bodies (one for low light and one for Resolution)
    -of course in Body stabi like A7II would be nice

Overall I am pretty fine with AF-Speed, IQ (besides Color sometimes), viewfinder Quality and build of the A7s. I also dont Need any new Gimmicks.
    But I think the camera could use a more straight Forward user Interface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: some wishes for the A9

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    OK, here is my personal wishlist for the Sony A9:
    - Give it a Display on the top side like DSLRs so that I can easily and quickly see the most important Settings.
    - Reduce the number of Buttons, increase the size of Buttons, and lable the Buttons. More like the user Interface of a DSLR.
    - Give it 4k in camera without external Recorder
    - let us choose in auot-iso to set the longest exposure time before camera increases ISO so that I can use auo iso also for non-static things
    - Give us a mode so I can use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for Review (maybe possible allready and I didnt find the Setting?)
    -give it a 24MP with a nice compromise between Resolution and high iso capability so that I dont have to own 2 bodies (one for low light and one for Resolution)
    -of course in Body stabi like A7II would be nice

Overall I am pretty fine with AF-Speed, IQ (besides Color sometimes), viewfinder Quality and build of the A7s. I also dont Need any new Gimmicks.
    But I think the camera could use a more straight Forward user Interface.
    Two tips for your A7r :
    A) Concerning the top settings display: just flip the LCD up, it will be more comfortable to read than a small bad lighted LED window. If you use the up arrow on the directional wheel, the LCD will circle through different shooting frames, most with settings overimposed on what you are framing, but one of them will show you only the settings activated, without any picture, it has bigger more readable characters and icons and presents you more infos than the top display of DSLRs.
    B) Concerning picture reviewing after taking a shot : set the FINDER/MONITOR option to "Auto". Then as soon as you release the shutter take your eye off the VF and the picture will appear on the LCD. As simple as that. (This option lies in the cogwheel menu, page three).
    Last edited by Annna T; 8th December 2014 at 03:09.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more tip for your A7/A7s (if you still have it):

Go to Menu --> Suitcase icon--> page 1

Audio Signals turn it Off.

This silences the AF when focus is achieved (no beeps).

This is a one time setting and part of priming the camera.

These are very versatile cameras with a lot of functionality. They can also be used with very few functions (just like in a high end CaNikon DSLR). Learn to use them wisely.

Most of the time, I use my A7r with manual focus lenses just like I use my Leica MM, only here the liveview and precise focus anywhere in the frame makes it that much more useful than relying on mechanical links and factory settings.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Turning of the beep is the first Thing I do with all cameras.
    Regarding Annas TIP with the Auto Setting: thats how I do use the camera.
    It works fine but not great because:
    it means the Display is on all the time and not just for the Review time -> battery or switching the camera off and on all the time (how I do it)
    als if you want to take more than one Frame in a raw you will have the Display in the viewfinder which I dont like at all. Thats why I have set Image Review time to 0/off and if I Review on the Display I have to press Play button.

It works but I think it would work much better for me to normally use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for reviewing and another Display for being switched on all the time and showing the f-stop/exp time/WB and things like that.

But of course I still have my A7s (and A7) because even though I have wishes for a future Body I dont find the A7s bad at all.

In contrast to Vivek I prefer to use the A7s with AF lenses and to use M lenses on the M, where I dont have to activate viewfinder magnification by pressing a button two times and where I can frame and focus at the same time, I am also fine with factory settings - as long as they make sense. But I assume ist a matter of taste, some like it simple and some People like to have all possible choices.
    When I had my first cell phone I knew every function etc. Today I am not motivated any more to learn each function, I just want a phone with good voice Quality, Long battery life and where I can find everything without having to spend much time to learn the whole thing.

In regards of cameras my Problem is maybe that I am not using just one. This means sometimes a System is not used for weeks and then ist importnt for me to feel at home fast again.
    I guess for someone using the same System every day it migh tbe different.

I am fascinated by products where you have an intuitive user Interface, just like I am fascinated by People who can explain difficult things with simple words.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite right, Tom.

This what these discussion fora are for.

I have had a tough time menu diving to change the ISO in the Leica MM, for example. There is only one way to it and it is not fast.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Quite right, Tom.

This what these discussion fora are for.

I have had a tough time menu diving to change the ISO in the Leica MM, for example. There is only one way to it and it is not fast.
    There is one button labeled "iso" which you have to press and then just turn the wheel. Why you feel it is not fast? Because one has to press a button first?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes. Don't ask me about the exposure compensation settings.

These are readily assigned in an E mount camera and are at my command anytime I need them and where I need them to be. I can change them without looking at the buttons or dials.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These are readily assigned in an E mount camera and are at my command anytime I need them and where I need them to be. I can change them without looking at the buttons or dials.
    Hey, I will mark this red in my calendar-we agree on one thing: exp compension button is better on the A7 than in the MM...even though its fine in theM type240 (just turn the wheel)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hallelujah!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the tips. Turning of the beep is the first Thing I do with all cameras.
    Regarding Annas TIP with the Auto Setting: thats how I do use the camera.
    It works fine but not great because:
    it means the Display is on all the time and not just for the Review time -> battery or switching the camera off and on all the time (how I do it)
    als if you want to take more than one Frame in a raw you will have the Display in the viewfinder which I dont like at all. Thats why I have set Image Review time to 0/off and if I Review on the Display I have to press Play button.

It works but I think it would work much better for me to normally use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for reviewing and another Display for being switched on all the time and showing the f-stop/exp time/WB and things like that.

But of course I still have my A7s (and A7) because even though I have wishes for a future Body I dont find the A7s bad at all.

In contrast to Vivek I prefer to use the A7s with AF lenses and to use M lenses on the M, where I dont have to activate viewfinder magnification by pressing a button two times and where I can frame and focus at the same time, I am also fine with factory settings - as long as they make sense. But I assume ist a matter of taste, some like it simple and some People like to have all possible choices.
    When I had my first cell phone I knew every function etc. Today I am not motivated any more to learn each function, I just want a phone with good voice Quality, Long battery life and where I can find everything without having to spend much time to learn the whole thing.

In regards of cameras my Problem is maybe that I am not using just one. This means sometimes a System is not used for weeks and then ist importnt for me to feel at home fast again.

I am fascinated by products where you have an intuitive user Interface, just like I am fascinated by People who can explain difficult things with simple words.
    I'm of a like mind.

I never understand complexity when simplicity will suffice. Unfortunately complexity has become synonymous with value ... "less is more", has given way to "more never seems enough".

In upcoming cameras I'd like to see technology used to let the photographer order any and all functions in a LCD menu to their liking, and hide any they do not want. Plug in your camera to a computer, open the menu app, drag and drop build your menu, done.

- Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Add lightness, more tactile feedback.

Lens index marks are too tiny: Make them big, and fix things so that I can jam the lens on any ole way and still have it line up properly.

MF and DMF modes: Give me some sort of @#$#$ indication whether I'm twirling the focus ring in the correct direction and whether I've reached the limit.

Super ultra-bright EVF for those occasions when you're photographing sunlit snow (probably a lawsuit waiting to happen though)

Doors covering battery, card and i/o ports: Lose them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I would like an aged Oak unibody.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd settle for an aged oak Chardonnay, though not too aged.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the A7s and the changes I would like to see are very much in line with the ones from Paratom:

- more MP, preferably 24MP or at least 18MP
    - no so interested in shooting M lenses either, I do that on my M9, more native lenses please
    - 4k in camera is fairly obvious IMO
    - better battery life, even in airplane mode it is not good enough IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe voice activated commands in addition to a touch screen?!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Maybe voice activated commands in addition to a touch screen?!
    Typ10003: "take a picture". Wouldn't that be something?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Typ10003: "take a picture". Wouldn't that be something?
    What I don't need is Siri on my camera... Or my phone for that matter.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A good F4 24 70 ..... a 5.6 300mm
    Lack of native lenses are keeping me out for the moment ...

Love to body style.

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djonesii View Post
    A good F4 24 70 ..... a 5.6 300mm
    Lack of native lenses are keeping me out for the moment ...

Love to body style.

Dave
    What do you dislike with the current 24-70 ?
    I know some of the critism but I am pretty fine with it so far. I wonder if its also sample variation?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, you folks never let up! Always wanting another camera with more more more...!

I don't know how you manage it; I don't have the energy. I just want to do some photography now—what I have is already as good as is needed.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Gosh, you folks never let up! Always wanting another camera with more more more...!

I don't know how you manage it; I don't have the energy. I just want to do some photography now—what I have is already as good as is needed.

G
    You know what they say necessity is the mother of invention. Gotta supply the demand but choice is always welcome. As you say if you're satisfied with what you have then another's desire won't hurt you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bigger square sensor to take advantage of the full image circle and still have full frame as well or just put that 50mp MF sensor in it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    You know what they say necessity is the mother of invention. Gotta supply the demand but choice is always welcome. As you say if you're satisfied with what you have then another's desire won't hurt you.
    For sure. I'm just amazed at the seemingly insatiable desire for more stuff.
    I'm a minimalist at heart ... :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think I am too where I can be however if I see a distinct superiority for the way I work then I become an unapologetic upgraded. It's not that I want to spend money but rather the value of an upgrade is reasonable enough to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Bigger square sensor to take advantage of the full image circle and still have full frame as well or just put that 50mp MF sensor in it.
    Yes, ok for his one.
    And for the same one, but Monochrom.
    Imagine a 50mp Monochrom file ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

YES!! I don't care about all of the little camera bells and whistles. Just give us the real meat. I'm tired of being locked into the little "full frame", antiquated 35mm, 3:2, format. Square is perfection.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

G
    Well...then why would you read that thread?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey always feels the need to temper us in our wishes and needs but at the same time he managed to collect quiet a collection of camera equipment to fullfill all his needs.
    He even likes sportcars; what is more useless as that, besides the fun
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's his attempt to psyche himself out of GAS. Eventually he'll come around... We all do.

He was convinced he had no use for the A7 and was "perfectly happy with the EM-1 alone." Oh I think the same was said about the M9 at first as he was happy with just his film M... he came around on that too. So like I told Godfrey regarding the A7 - come on in the water's fine buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, with the excitement of the imminent arrival of the a7II (not mine) and the questions swirling around the A9, I have decided to NOT take any more photos with my aging a900 because the camera is hopelessly outdated and can no longer take acceptable photos.

In the meantime, time for my lovely wife to take me out to lunch. And maybe a beer.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey always feels the need to temper us in our wishes and needs but at the same time he managed to collect quiet a collection of camera equipment to fullfill all his needs.
    There are Luigi cases that can be bought!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There are Luigi cases that can be bought!
    Whoa whoa whoa... Luigi Crescenzi is a saint and makes an amazing case that was once the case all other bowed to!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Opps! Touchy subject indeed!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Opps! Touchy subject indeed!
    LOL... Yeah. I am not that emotionally connected in reality but he does make a damn nice half case.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think G will concur. He bought one for his M9.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think G will concur. He bought one for his M9.
    I can't judge... I have one too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Curiosity.

And yes, I suffer from the same disease as the rest of you lot. I just think about it more in an attempt to find some objectivity. :-)

I go back and forth on the M9. BTW, I do use a half case on it, and the M4-2, X2, CL, and X. I find a half case give me that little extra improvement in grip that I like on these cameras. But I switched from the Luigi case to an A&A case for the M9: I didn't find the Luigi case had the fit and feel I was after.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 10th December 2014 at 09:16.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, I will mark this red in my calendar-we agree on one thing: exp compension button is better on the A7 than in the MM...even though its fine in theM type240 (just turn the wheel)
    I'll mark it red in my calendar as well -

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'm of a like mind.

I never understand complexity when simplicity will suffice. Unfortunately complexity has become synonymous with value ... "less is more", has given way to "more never seems enough".

In upcoming cameras I'd like to see technology used to let the photographer order any and all functions in a LCD menu to their liking, and hide any they do not want. Plug in your camera to a computer, open the menu app, drag and drop build your menu, done.

- Marc
    Hmm - you can do it on a Leica T without plugging it into your computer.
    just drag and drop and you're there

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm - you can do it on a Leica T without plugging it into your computer.
    just drag and drop and you're there
    A pity they did not make the body in aged Oak and I have to shell out another several hundred Euros for that!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've accreted far too much gear in the closet for my comfort. I'll be cutting it back in 2015. I don't need eight interchangeable-lens camera systems....!

Them's fightin' words.... ]'-)

I've nearly always had two seaters because they were small, economical on fuel, and carried enough for my needs. My current SLK does just as well to go to work and the grocery store as the Prius did, albeit with a bit less economy (but I don't drive all that much), and better than the Land Rover before that. And it's fun to drive as well...

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A pity they did not make the body in aged Oak and I have to shell out another several hundred Euros for that!
    Indeed Just saying Vivek, the T is missing so very much (IBIS, speed, weather-sealing, value for money, resolution), but the lenses are good and it does take good pictures, and the interface is really interesting.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've accreted far too much gear in the closet for my comfort. I'll be cutting it back in 2015. I don't need eight interchangeable-lens camera systems....!

I've nearly always had two seaters because they were small, economical on fuel, and carried enough for my needs. My current SLK does just as well to go to work and the grocery store as the Prius did, albeit with a bit less economy (but I don't drive all that much), and better than the Land Rover before that. And it's fun to drive as well...

G
    Hah! You don't need to defend yourself Godfrey you really don't!
    I tried defending myself against accusations as a Leica shill to Michiel in a PM (did you get it Michiel? Did you believe me?)

We Are All Guilty!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... We Are All Guilty!
    Yup.

I think what got me about this thread is that the Sony A7II has JUST been announced, is JUST getting in the marketplace—maybe a few have actually been delivered!—and already people are speculating what they'd like to have in the next model.

That seems over the top to me. Despite my own excesses...!

I did just buy another instant film camera. And another lens for the M9. These excesses have either got to bring me massive joy or they have to stop. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or even mild enjoyment?
    To be honest I can't really think of what I want in an A9 . . . better Auto ISO options? Full electronic shutter? Soul . . . that's it, I want it to have Soul (the A900 had it, but I'm not sure that any Sony camera since then has).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

G
    7 systems is clearly enough
    by the way - reading your post I believe the X is "your" camera!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Every camera that I use to make pictures has a soul and I do not sell them. Just use it until they die or the soul migrates to the new one that I use.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yup.

I think what got me about this thread is that the Sony A7II has JUST been announced, is JUST getting in the marketplace—maybe a few have actually been delivered!—and already people are speculating what they'd like to have in the next model.

I did just buy another instant film camera. And another lens for the M9. These excesses have either got to bring me massive joy or they have to stop. :-)

G
    Godfrey,
    I posted about the A9 because...
    -I am a little frustrated that my A7 has lost a lot of value just in a couple of weeks because the A7ii has been announced
    -there are already rumors about the A9
    -I am not sure if I want to experience the same with the A7ii when an A9 comes in 3 months
    -many but not all of my wines have been addressed in the A7ii (auto iso settings)

So far I have never ever speculated about the next next model in case of companies like Leica or Canon - where one has the feeling they put all they have in a new model and then go back for r&d for 3 years before they present the next model.
    in case of Sony where every 3 months a new model comes up it makes more sense to eventually skip 1 or 2 versions.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So far I have never ever speculated about the next next model in case of companies like Leica or Canon - where one has the feeling they put all they have in a new model and then go back for r&d for 3 years before they present the next model.

Not sure about that, Tom.

Have you seen this? http://www.getdpi.com/forum/615084-post17.html

They are trying to investigate why the M8's sensor glass gets corroded. When was that camera released?

I am yet to encounter a Sony mirrorless camera that dies or has some terrible QC issue or a fatal flaw (has happened with Nikon!).

Contrary to your situation with your A7, mine was bought new for 900 Euros ("gray market with no warranty") and I converted it to a one of a kind Ultraviolet camera. Value- priceless, in every sense.

900 Euros is no small change to me and I could invest that amount of cash only because the cameras from Sony are that reliable.

The A7r with a 3 year warranty still works flawlessly and will continue to work whether there is a new A7ii or an A9 in the market.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup.

G
    In fairness the A9 rumor has been floating around for the better part of the last 6 months. The A7II caught EVERYONE who wasn't testing it off guard. I distinctly remember (erroneously) telling Jono in another thread not to hold his breath for IBIS no more than 2 weeks prior to the A7II being announced.

I personally will skip the A7II and wait for the A9 (or A7RII if the A9 proves to all be a just another rumor to drive unique web traffic.)