The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

[Dissapointed] Sony DSC-HX50V/B 20.4MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD Screen

berjaya2015

I can't understand why the other reviews don't mention that the images from this camera have so much grain/noise that they are not usable. If you apply enough noise reduction to clean up the images the resulting image clarity and sharpness degrades to an almost "artistic" scene.
Everything else about this camera is magnificent, the super zoom, the colors, speed of operation, GPS. But Sony really goofed with the noise processing. I did read some reviews elsewhere that said the camera was unsuitable for any kind of serious photography but I was fooled by the Amazon ratings and comments into thinking that maybe the camera the testers used was faulty.
Maybe some are OK, but the one I got is a total waste of time and money.
I would not recommend this camera under any circumstances.

bradhusick

Yes I tried one of these smaller sensor Sony cameras a couple years back and returned it the same day. The images are unacceptable for anything larger than a 4x6 print, and then just marginally so.

Stick to the RX100 or higher in the Sony line.

darrellc

I got a waterproof/shockproof p&s for beach vacations, mountain biking / skiing and such, and after looking at the first pics - yuck! - I've never used it again. My iPhone 6 seems to do much better (above water). No wonder the product category has disappeared.