The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta 80-200mm F2.8 APO

Rawfa

I was checking a minolta 80-200mm 2.8 and I've realized there are 2 models of this lens. A white and a black one...but I couldn't find much information on the differences. Does anyone know?

benroy

Subscriber Member
Rafael: Black lens is the early version...white lens the later version. I own the white one...very sharp, contrasty lens. Can provide some rather pedestrian images if interested.

Roy Benson

pegelli

Optically they are the same, the white one has a faster gearing for AF, and is therefore called the "High Speed" version. I also have a white one, a fantastic lens optically!

Couple of things to watch:
- front rotates when focussing (so not ideal for use with a polarizer)
- MFD 1,8 meter (looooong)
- HS version AF quite noisy and even some recoil when it suddenly starts or stops turning

pegelli

Sorry Rafael, I wasn't planning on selling it. I still gets used quite regularly, despite some of it's "operational" shortcomings. The pictures it produces are very nicely rendered and sharp.

Rawfa

I cannot seem to find any good copies out there for a moderate price. I waa thinking of going instead with a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 with, wihch is stabilized and can be found for around us$1100.