Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

Nice reviewer
    I notice he is also considering the Kolarivision Thin Stack conversion (my A7 is with them now)

Great that he included the ZM 35/2 one of my favorite lenses on the M9. Obviously the Loxia is killing that one on the A7 with stock sensor. Will be so interesting to see after the conversion if the biogon can recover some of it's glory.

Viktor is being quite polite to the Loxia, but I think many of would have expected Zeiss to hit it out of the park with this lens on the A7 series. My conclusion is the FE35/2.8 (which I have admired but don't own) is really "the one" for the A7 at 35, still. And alot cheaper since it can be had used.

The bottom line is that more than a year after the A7 release the serious lens choices are very very thin, when compared to Leica M, which offers at least 10 fantastic 35s of differing speeds and characters. A perfect Zm 35/2 goes for about 650 used today.

Zm 35/2 on M9 at f/3.4:

Belair by unoh7, on Flickr

Of course the "fun" 35 choices for the A7 are unlimited. I quite like my FD 35/2SSC thorium:

DSC00114-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

waitin for Bowie by unoh7, on Flickr

I can't wait to see how this one does on the A7m
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Nice reviewer
    I notice he is also considering the Kolarivision Thin Stack conversion (my A7 is with them now)

Great that he included the ZM 35/2 one of my favorite lenses on the M9. Obviously the Loxia is killing that one on the A7 with stock sensor. Will be so interesting to see after the conversion if the biogon can recover some of it's glory.

Viktor is being quite polite to the Loxia, but I think many of would have expected Zeiss to hit it out of the park with this lens on the A7 series. My conclusion is the FE35/2.8 (which I have admired but don't own) is really "the one" for the A7 at 35, still. And alot cheaper since it can be had used.

The bottom line is that more than a year after the A7 release the serious lens choices are very very thin, when compared to Leica M, which offers at least 10 fantastic 35s of differing speeds and characters. A perfect Zm 35/2 goes for about 650 used today.

Zm 35/2 on M9 at f/3.4:

Belair by unoh7, on Flickr

Of course the "fun" 35 choices for the A7 are unlimited. I quite like my FD 35/2SSC thorium:

DSC00114-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

waitin for Bowie by unoh7, on Flickr

I can't wait to see how this one does on the A7m
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 35/1.4 Distagon ends up being the lens to get in FE mount for optical performance. Right now I'm using the Sigma 35 Art because the other options seem to come up short as an 35 Cron ASPH replacement for the FE series.

The Voigtlanger 35/1.2 II works well though as closer to medium distance. It lacks the micro contrast of the Leica 35 Cron ASPH though. The only shortcoming of the Sigma Art is that it may be larger than some like without a grip but optically it's great and without peer in any Sony mount currently.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with the ZM 35 f:1.4 is rather different from Viktor's. At infinity, some smearing is visible in the extreme corners at f:2.8, that cleans up entirely by f:5.6. I don't yet know if it is due to A7R-related issues, or field curvature (will know more this week-end) as with the 'Lux 50. Otherwise, the quality of the lens leaves me gobsmacked.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    So am i to understand this correctly, the FE35/2.8 is sharper to the corners then the Loxia 35? Is this true for both up close and at distant?
    or
    Do I have this backwards? The Luxia is sharper in the corners?
    I have compared only at medium distance (10-20m) and there I would say yes, my FE is sharper in the corners than my Loxia at f2.8.
    I also have to admit that for photographing people I dont find it that easy to nail focus at f2.0 with the Loxia.
    On the other side fir static subjects manual focusing works very well.
    I still like the bokeh and overall look the Loxia gives, as I said before it looks very balanced and "analog" (whatever this means).