The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Cam the 50 ZA 1.4 is more like that with a nice look to it. It's very much like a shortened 85 1.4 style lens. I liked the 55 1.8 a lot it was very sharp but I thought it was a little sterile looking. The Sigma Art might be as well, have not shot that yet but reports are its Otus like wide open. Sometimes in the longer focal length like 50 and 85 its nice to have a 1.4 lens that shows character from 1.4 to 2.8 than turns into a razor from F4 on. Many Leica summilux glass was like that especially like the R 35, 50 and 80 . Now the 80 was more dream like and wide open had a lot of aberrations wide open. More modern lenses are corrected better and some like the 55 1.8 may take it over the top a little as far as look. But having a 1 two 2 punch in a lens that can do both is fun to have. The ZA 50 is like that

cam

Cam the 50 ZA 1.4 is more like that with a nice look to it. It's very much like a shortened 85 1.4 style lens. I liked the 55 1.8 a lot it was very sharp but I thought it was a little sterile looking. The Sigma Art might be as well, have not shot that yet but reports are its Otus like wide open. Sometimes in the longer focal length like 50 and 85 its nice to have a 1.4 lens that shows character from 1.4 to 2.8 than turns into a razor from F4 on. Many Leica summilux glass was like that especially like the R 35, 50 and 80 . Now the 80 was more dream like and wide open had a lot of aberrations wide open. More modern lenses are corrected better and some like the 55 1.8 may take it over the top a little as far as look. But having a 1 two 2 punch in a lens that can do both is fun to have. The ZA 50 is like that
Thank you, Guy!

I was shooting the other night in a very dark and was amazed at how fast the 55/1.8 focused on the A7s (sadly, faster than I could manually @f/1 on my MM in most situations :eek:). What I didn't like, however, was the flat plane of focus which seemed to suck the life out of the pics. I honestly hadn't realised how reliant I was on not just the focus but also the draw of the lens.

The Sigma sounds like it might just be the ticket! Because it will still autofocus on the A7 bodies, non? (With the right adaptor, of course…)

Guy Mancuso

Yes this very much is a 2 edge sword. If you go for brilliant 1.4 sharpness sometimes the look is just not there. Case in point the Leica Summarits lenses you buy all three focal lengths and outside the FOV each lens look identical to the other 2. That's how they where designed to be general purpose glass. The 55 1.8 resembles that type of design to be very good and sharp. That sometimes takes out the look , draw and character out of a lens sometimes. As a general rule as glass in the modern age is being developed engineers try to wipe out those aberrations as they don't show well in MTF charts. That's bad for marketing and digital we are all pixel peeping like crazy. You know you read the forums and the obsession for ultimate quality. I'm guilty myself but does pin lens designers into a corner as its harder to get a modern two punch lens.

cam

Thank you, again, Guy… You pretty much nailed the reason the Summarits never appealed to me, sigh. And why the 55/1.8, though stunningly sharp, leaves me somewhat cold.

I know I can use my older glass in manual focus, but I'd very much prefer to have fast AF with character on this cam…

Guy, would you please hurry up and buy this lens so we can see it on the Sony? Pretty please?

Go to a dark bar, order some drinks, and take not so stellar shots (pixel peeping be damned). I swear I'll pick up the tab! (For the drinks, not the glass :D)

Guy Mancuso

Believe me its not to take anything away from the 55 as it is brilliant for the money too. It's very very sharp and many folks love that but sometimes it will look clinical especially with hard light.

cam

Believe me its not to take anything away from the 55 as it is brilliant for the money too. It's very very sharp and many folks love that but sometimes it will look clinical especially with hard light.
Oh, I agree! And I've actually been really impressed and happy with it for longer outdoor shots in both sunny and flat light. I'm thrilled I bought it because otherwise I wouldn't have known what the A7s was capable of… It's just not right for the situations I most want to shoot this in.

(The A7s is my first "big boy" camera that isn't an RF so this is all so new to me!)

V

Vivek

It is easy to call the Loxia overpriced, and I'd love to do that like many of you. But, for me to be able to do that, I need to find a better lens at the same price, or a similar lens that is cheaper.
I understand that, Philber. Luckily, I did find mine (check my earlier post), though it cost me more than a Loxia 50 to get it done, it is well worth the effort for me.

cam

I can tell you I am in love with the 35 now. Selling a 55 FE while I wait for the backordered 50 loxia.
Thank you for those and the link to more images. It looks quite nice -- more character than I've seen out of the FE. And being in love with your glass is always good :D

Let us know when you get your 50.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If you want a manual focus 50 with character, how about old M glass? Not cheap, but also holds its value. Extra bonus - close focus is over 3 feet! :facesmack:

Version 1 50 Lux "focused" on cup handle at f/1.4 (50% crop):

And its 1960s design is a perfect match for the Sony! :ROTFL:

It *does* take a nice portrait, and it *is* sharp past f/4....

Matt

cam

If you want a manual focus 50 with character, how about old M glass? Not cheap, but also holds its value. Extra bonus - close focus is over 3 feet! :facesmack:

It *does* take a nice portrait, and it *is* sharp past f/4....
Lol, Matt, how did you know I just pulled out that exact lens to try?

Well, not exactly, mine was a cusp lens from 1962 but it looks and draws (almost) the same. What you say is true, though! It was my very first Leica lens and made me fall in love with RF photography… It's only failing, imo, was the near-focus distance which will be magically fixed by my VME adaptor on the Sony ;)

Off to give it a try.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm REALLY not trying to hijack this thread, but the sun just came in through the window and...

Another wide open with the V1 Lux - full frame this time - some contrast and shadows

OK, back to FE now...

--Matt

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I'm picking up a members 35FE to hold me over until the 28 F2 comes out. I'm pretty well set right now which has takin a long time to do. This 35 loxia looks very interesting and I'll have to see after awhile if it is working out. I don't like the high price though.

Paratom

I had a 35 Loxia in my hand and found it handles great. Also nice that turning the focus wheel can automatically start magnification.
On the other side I enjoy having AF in the FE35mm.
For now I will stay with the 35FE, even though I would enjoy f2.0.
Also the comparisons on some review the Loxia looked nicer IMO.

dchew

I just received a 35 Loxia from LensRentals. Did some quick comparisons with my 35 FE. Boring bookcase stuff so far.

The Loxia handles wonderfully. Great focus ring, zooms in automatically just like I think it should, aperture ring you can switch on/off, a real lens hood.*

Not sure if it is this copy or not, but it is not significantly better than my FE. The center and right sides are marginally better. But the left side is worse, and doesn't get better as you stop down. Probably decentered a bit.

If I could find one that was more even across the field I might get one because I really like how it handles. But I was hoping for better IQ. I will play with it for the week and give some updates. Hopefully I end up feeling the same way JT does.

Dave

*I must admit functionally I haven't run into any problems with the FE's lens hood. It's just, odd.

Paratom

My 35Loxia - compared to the FE35 - seems to have slightly softer outer corners at f2.8. The color of the Loxia is a little warmer.
I really do like the handling of the Loxia, smooth focusing, nice to control f-stop at the lens but have the f-stop in the viewfinder (except I dislike the f-stop direction is opposite of Leica M lenses). Size wise well balanced.
Also there is a rubber sealing between lens and body.
First impressions (and reason to buy the lens besides the faster f-stop) is the images are more "organic" while the images from the 35FE look more "technical".
I cant judge if the price is appropriate or not, but its a nice lens and IMO f2.0 is a good compromise between speed and lens-size/weight.
I try to post some images as soon as I have something I feel is worth posting.

philip_pj

You might see some of the film heritage in the Loxias - nee ZMs. It's why I use film era Contax lenses, for the organic draw style. But for my stuff I see very good results from the FE55 (and RX1 is similar for me), soft and delicate, and its versatility is great for varying work.

There is now talk of 'an announcement' in the next few weeks - I can't get my head around how good all the better lenses are going to work on a high Mp sensor body. It's already close to medium format for many uses, get ready for ultra reality now.

Paratom

You might see some of the film heritage in the Loxias - nee ZMs. It's why I use film era Contax lenses, for the organic draw style. But for my stuff I see very good results from the FE55 (and RX1 is similar for me), soft and delicate, and its versatility is great for varying work.

There is now talk of 'an announcement' in the next few weeks - I can't get my head around how good all the better lenses are going to work on a high Mp sensor body. It's already close to medium format for many uses, get ready for ultra reality now.
In case of 50/55mm I decided to go for the FE55 because I find AF usefull in that focal length and since the 55 is f1.8. Also I have some Leica 50mm which I can use.
In case of 35mm it was difference since the Loxia has a 1 f-stop speed advantage over the FE35 and also the Leica M 35mm lenses don't work as well on the Sony A7II as 50mm and longer.

Which announcement are you expecting?