The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IBIS issue A7II

jonoslack

:worthless:

Right
both of these shots are take with the Leica R 80-200 zoom at 200mm and 1/15th second

after taking off the 24-70 OSS

after taking off the 55 f1.8 (non oss)​

jonoslack

Well thank you Jono. I am expecting Sony to get back to me in a while. I would suggest anyone else who can replicate the issue contact their local Sony support centre. In the UK the number is 0207 365 2810 and my case number is 11882485 if you want to link in. The more feedback they get the more likely that something will happen
Have you put this onto dPreview forums (I don't dare go there these days :mad:)

V

Vivek

Maybe but I would suggest contacting Sony in the Netherlands.
I don't have an A7ii.

But, after looking at Jono's demo, I am a bit confused. :confused:

Jono, Have you lost all the tolerance for alcohol? Getting drunk on Clausthaler Classic is pitiful. :ROTFL:

jonoslack

I don't have an A7ii.

But, after looking at Jono's demo, I am a bit confused. :confused:

Jono, Have you lost all the tolerance for alcohol? Getting drunk on Clausthaler Classic is pitiful. :ROTFL:
I was going to apologise for that Vivek. Rather pathetic I do agree. I'll try and do better next time.

k-hawinkler

If you remember the graph presented by Sony to explain the IBIS :
In native OSS lenses, the body is combining the three axes of stabilization of the lens and two axis (shift) from the body. With legacy lenses, there is only three axes of stabilisation from the body. May be that the bug comes from using the OSS lenses stabilization way instead of the legacy way ? As if the body hadn't registrated the change..
I am confused.
I thought an OSS lens contributed pitch and yaw and the body roll, X and Y stabilization.
No?

Johnny_Johnson

Remember. One of the disadvantages of IBIS over OSS in the early days was that it didn't steady the viewfinder image. As far as I can remember that first appeared with the E-m5 where (I think) it's optional.
Hi Jono, I remember that disadvantage being related to IBIS being first introduced on DSLRs, not mirrorless, where the image image in the viewfinder didn't come via the sensor.

(Now back to the regular programming.)

Later,
Johnny

Annna T

I am confused.
I thought an OSS lens contributed pitch and yaw and the body roll, X and Y stabilization.
No?
Yes you are right, I was too lazy to check and not recording exactly; here is one graph (there is another one including legacy glass on a third raw, but I wasn't able to find it)

algrove

Thanks for that. I quite enjoy diagnostics which I suppose come from my days as a heating engineer and having to solve central heating boiler and system problems. I just hope that I can manage to get into direct contact with the Sony development team.
Hey, I just happen to think that perhaps Leica could use your help since initially M240 lockups were thought to be related to over heating issues.

algrove

So now I understand everything on this post.:eek:

One MUST buy a Sony non-OSS lens along with the a7II if you want legacy glass to work. So now the body will cost another $800 to $1000!!:lecture:

Sony must be laughing.:ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

One MUST buy a Sony non-OSS lens along with the a7II if you want legacy glass to work. So now the body will cost another $800 to $1000!!:lecture:

The A7 III will only power on to the tune of music recorded by Sony Music and played on an original Walkman Professional with Sony cassettes ;)

scho

No, just don't buy any Sony glass and your legacy lenses will work just fine.:)

ohnri

Fine work uncovering what sounds very much like a firmware bug.

I have a few questions.

Does it work if you remove the battery?

Suppose you turn off the OSS on a lens with a switch and then mount it?

Does it work if you mount a non-OSS A mount lens via adapter?

What about mounting any lens via the sony A mount adapter?

Suppose you do a reset on the camera?

I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to do any of these but I am curious.

I only have the regular A7 but my Sony FE lenses are all OSS so I would probably wait to get the A7mII until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for any feedback and thanks again for discovering this.

-Bill

V

Vivek

You are describing the business strategy of some other fine manufacturers who use Sony sensors. ;)

See Carl's post.

It looks like FW glitch and should be sorted out soon.