The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IBIS issue A7II

V

Vivek

No problem then, that'll be in another 3 or 6 months or so ... :p
Yeah, a whole lot faster then Nikon's fix (in a Df) for their old manual focus lenses being able to fully meter with their digi cams.:D That only took 15 years? :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Yes, that's the snag being at the blunt end of technology ;)
Cute! :)

But the reality is that is one of their core business strategies ("planned obsolescence") besides denial. :(

The issue has been found and highlighted by David here. Let us see how Sony respond to that and how fast they do it. This will show the difference clearly.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cute! :)

But the reality is that is one of their core business strategies ("planned obsolescence") besides denial. :(

The issue has been found and highlighted by David here. Let us see how Sony respond to that and how fast they do it. This will show the difference clearly.
Vivek,
This is highly off-topic, but when you mention "Nikon" and "Planned obsolescence" in the same sentence, I think it's time to remind you about the following:

- All Nikkor F-mount lenses except some specialty lenses like your F3 AF-lenses and invasive fisheye lenses from the sixties, can be mounted and used on all Nikon F-mount cameras. Lenses from before Ai was introduced in 1977 need a modification to be used on all current cameras except the Df. That's all lenses since 1959, 55 years ago and counting.

- No other full frame cameras can mount as many lenses as Nikon F-mount FX cameras without using an adapter.

- Until 2012, Nikon had produced 75 million F-mount lenses.

- As opposed to its largest competitor, Canon, all Nikon full frame cameras can mount all Nikkor lenses designed for the APS-C format. Canon, as you know, changed to EF mount in 1987, obsoleting all lenses produced until then, since there was no way an FD-mount lens could be mounted on an EF-mount camera. Canon claim to have produced more than 100 million EF-mount lenses by 2014, but again: the EF-S lenses won't mount on full frame bodies.

- The only current camera manufacturer that can show a longer history with the same lens mount is Leica with the M-mount from 1954, 60 years ago.

- The Sony A-mount dates back to 1985, 29 years ago, and the introduction of Minolta's first AF camera, the Maxxum 7000.

- The Sony E-mount dates back to 2010, less than 5 years ago.

dpr just published the review of the Nikon 750. The headline is "Gold Standard" and it scored 90%. The D750 weighs 241 grams more than the A7 II. Once you add the vertical grip to get decent battery capacity and an adapter to mount the A-mount lenses, the Sony is 170g heavier than the Nikon. That's denial for you.

jonoslack

So now I understand everything on this post.:eek:

One MUST buy a Sony non-OSS lens along with the a7II if you want legacy glass to work. So now the body will cost another $800 to $1000!!:lecture:

Sony must be laughing.:ROTFL:
At least Sony have finally found a use for the 16mm f2.8 pancake lens :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Jorgen, Spare your energy. You are trying rewrite the history by talking to a guy who has used even the "AF" 1.6x TC to make all manual focus lenses auto focusable (only on select bodies that support the screw driver AF) by adding a new "chip". I know the history (nikon especially) better. :)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
We interrupt this fight to bring you a redundant confirmation of the bug using an adapted A lens to reset the IBIS. Here is a 50 Lux 1/13 second shot after using an OSS lens:

Sorry about the full Makers Mark next to an almost empty Campari. We just finished the last MM.. Honest ...

And here's after using a Minolta 28/2 mounted with the A adapter - the fancy one with PDAF:

Not that the adapter and A lens is a cheap solution :(

Speaking of manual lenses, I'm not getting any focus confirmation with the M glass. Is that a function of my chosen AF mode (manual with back button AF) or focus area choice (movable spot)? Or does it never happen?

Best,

Matt

k-hawinkler

Many thanks. Here is my question:
How well does the Sony IBIS perform when comparing native to non-native lenses of similar focal length?
So, how different behave the 5-axis versions for native lenses as compared to the 3-axis version for non-native lenses in terms of number of stabilization stops achieved?
TIA.

Would it be possible to come back to my question?
What are forum members finding, those that have an A7II? TIA.
Of course, if it's a stupid question, then ignore it!

MGrayson

K-H,

I just ran some more extensive, if unscientific tests. They involve sitting on my couch and shooting liquor bottles across the room. Three shots at each exposure from 1/13" down to 1".

The Minolta 70-210/4 at 210mm gets two out of three at 1/13", one out of three at 1/6", one possibly usable out of three at 1/3", none at 1".

The Leica 50/1.4 gets three out of three at 1/13", two and a half out of three at 1/6", two out of three at 1/3", one not totally blurry at 1"

The OSS 24-70/4 at 50mm. Sharp at 1/13", two out of three at 1/6", one out of three at 1/3", nothing at 1/2", and a fluke one out of three usable at 1".

The Leica 50/1.4 actually did a bit better than the 24-70/4 OSS lens. Possibly because it's smaller? The Minolta at 210, about a stop better than either.

--Matt

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

K-H,

I don't have the lenses to do the comparison you request, but the IBIS with a Minolta 70-210/4 , which is A mount with an adapter, works extremely well. 1/10 second at 210mm - how many stops is that? Over four? It's not tack sharp, so call it 3-4 stops. With a completely non-native lens, 50/1.4, 1/10 second is sharp, degradation sets in by 1/6 second. I'll spare you the Camapri bottle pictures. But that's about 3 stops.

The Minolta was shot under different conditions. I'll try it here now and see if those results hold up. It may be 3 stops with both.

--Matt

Many thanks Matt, much appreciated.
What I am driving at with my question is how much does the 5-axis add beyond the 3-axis stabilization? Of course, that also depends on the nature of the inadvertant motion.
Also, can one selectively choose which group of the stabilizations to engage?
The three groups being, pitch and yaw, roll, X and Y.
Thanks again.

MGrayson

I ran more tests and edited my post above.

Removing the battery for ten seconds did NOT restore IBIS with the 50/1.4.

--Matt

jfirneno

Hi thought I would start a separate thread about this issue I have been having so here is the text from the Users report thread. Any input would be welcome

Ok Guys so have got the new body and it is still doing it What I have figured out is that if I change from either FE24-70 or the 16-35 to an adapted lens IBIS won't click in. If I change from either the FE55 or 35 it will, so I am thinking there is a firmware bug. what maybe happening is that the camera doesn't seem to register when a non electronic lens is attached after a OSS lens has been attached. I would suggest others if possible try to replicate this. I have contacted Sony UK about it.Here is the text of the email

Dear Nick
Here is a summary of the issue as far as I see it
I bought the ILCE-7M2 last Friday the 12-12-14 and noticed on Sunday that at times that the IBIS feature stopped working when using a manual lens with an adaptor (voigtlander close focus adaptor or non specific Chines adaptor) with leica Rangefinder lenses. I noticed again yesterday that the IBIS had stopped working in these circumstances and thinking it maybe a camera issue my dealer (London Camera exchange in London) replaced it with a new camera. Unfortunately the issue is still there and I have narrowed down to when it is happening.

First scenario IBIS doesn't work with adapted lens
1. I have been using the 'FE24-70 OSS' or 'FE16-35 OSS’ and switch to a manual lens with adaptor
2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
4 On half press of shutter release the image doesn’t stabilise
5. I can turn IBIS on and off and there is no difference

Second Scenario IBIS works with adapted lens
1. I have been using the ‘FE55/f1.8’ or 'FE35/f2.8’
2. I turn on the camera and hear click and if I hold camera near to my ear I can hear a slight whirring
3. I dial in the correct focal length for the lens
4 On half press of shutter release the image does stabilise and behaves as I would expect

I am shooting RAW without jpeg and with batteries that are fully charged. All other functions appear normal

What appears to me to be happing is that when a lens that is not electronically in contact with the camera is used after the use of and OSS (Optical Steady Shot) lens for some reason the camera won’t activate the IBIS mechanism even though it sounds like is functioning. When using an adopted lens after using a Sony FE non OSS lens IBIS seems to activate.
It would appear that this maybe be a software bug as I am having the same issue even on the 2nd camera.
Hello David:

I know I may regret getting in this late and I may have missed someone else asking this but I have a suggestion.

When you have an OSS lens on, before attaching the adapted lens have you tried turning stabilization off in the camera body before removing the OSS lens, then turning stabilization back on after attaching the adapted lens?

Regards,
John

Viramati

Hello David:

I know I may regret getting in this late and I may have missed someone else asking this but I have a suggestion.

When you have an OSS lens on, before attaching the adapted lens have you tried turning stabilization off in the camera body before removing the OSS lens, then turning stabilization back on after attaching the adapted lens?

Regards,
John
Yes I have tried this and it didn't work

MGrayson

Also, can one selectively choose which group of the stabilizations to engage?
The three groups being, pitch and yaw, roll, X and Y.
Thanks again.
I have seen no way to specify how IBIS works. The choices are On/Off, and if On, then Auto or Manual focal length setting.

--Matt