Site Sponsors

Thread: Calibrated Monitors

Post Thanks / Like

Calibrated Monitors

I posted this in the imaging forum yesterday but I guess it's pretty quiet over there. So I figured this is a busier neighborhood with more foot traffic. I am looking to get a 27" monitor that allows for accurate color calibration. I have heard that NEC and Eizo have some very good ones but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Also I am interested in a color calibrator that will work on the selected monitor without me having to become an expert in software management. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    John

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calibrated Monitors

John,

Eizo and NEC are probably the best mid priced solution and they both have an option for hardware calibration as a built-in feature.

I have a Dell U2711 non-4K but does 98% of Adobe RBG...calibration with the Eye-One Match and their higher end spectrophotometer is dead easy and very consistent...

The software drives your calibration in steps ... will give you a reminder to recalibrate based on length of time you specify. Previously it was a bit of a kludge but now is fairly MAC aware and simple to use.

Their Match 3 software with the higher end spectro allows paper profiling if you are so inclined.

My next monitor will likely be 4K when they have a Adobe RGB aware and easily profiled monitor that allows for text scaling as the fonts are difficult on my present 27 inch.

While the Eye-One seems pricey at first it really will serve you for years without any additional cost.

Bob

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

<-- Happy recent NEC 27" user. I bought the i1Display Pro and Spectraview software separately. Once you calibrate it, images just look right. One then relaxes, as the standard "is it the image or the monitor I'm seeing" question fades and one edits in confidence.

Wish I'd gotten the 30", but the price difference was large, and frugality shown on one purchase justifies any number of unnecessary acquisitions down the road!

--Matt

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the NEC 27 inch now with supplied calibration hardware and software but I did own the 30 inch version. 27 seems just about perfect for my desktop and don't miss the 30 anymore.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, Matt and Guy:

Thanks much for your quick and helpful posts. DPI is an excellent resource and full of friendly folks.

Regards,
    John