The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s vs A7II

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I quite agree David
a certain magic. rather reminiscent of the lovely files from the A900 at low ISO . Whether it translates to print is a different issue.

I've always felt that this loveliness is to do with not stressing the colour to deal with high ISO (of course that's eisier with a lower pixel density).
"A certain magic" is a good expression and as scientific as I would go with this question. Some cameras/sensors, most of them "fat pixel" ones, have a certain "shine" or "look" that make the photos seem kind of magic. The A7s is certainly one of those, and for one who doesn't print larger than A2 and can live with the ergonomics, that's the camera to go for if you ask me.

The sensor from the A900 and D3X seems to be a special case. I've always liked the "look" from that sensor, from either camera although they are distinctly different, but "fat pixel" it is not :)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What is Phase One's track record with updating their lens profiles?

Now that Capture One 8.1 processes the A7 II files, I've been using it as the first stop in processing. While C1v8.1 has many Sony lens profiles, there are very few FE and none of the f/4 zooms. LR5.7.1 *does* have profiles for those lenses, but I'd rather stay in C1. Any guesses on lens profile releases?
I know my question was :OT:, but I found the answer: It's already there!

I processed a shot with the FE 16-35/4 at 16mm in LR5.7.1 with the lens profile correction selected and in C1 v8.1 with the "Manufacturer's Profile" choice in the Lens Correction panel and 100% distortion correction. The two results had identical geometry. There were brightness and color differences, but the lines were all in exactly the same place. :thumbs:

I read on LuLa that the C1 Manufacturer's Profile incorporated lens correction data contained in the RAW, and now I believe it.

Best,

Matt

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
They say a thread without pictures is a bit lacking....

I have not found a cogent reason for IBIS when the A7s will do insane ISO values... with my limited skills and vision it works for me.

A little off topic but just wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year ... may all your hopes and desires find a place of rest in the coming year(s).

Warmest regards,

Bob

cam

Pixel Pitch: Micron

A7r 4.9
A7II 5.97
A7s 8.4

Bob
I was more than a little slow last night… but this explains why the A7s reminds me of the Epson R-D1 -- which has 7.85 µm

And it got me thinking about the one thing I wish they'd change on the camera (but they won't because of video) is to do away with the AA filter. Now that would be sweet!

JorisV

I read on LuLa that the C1 Manufacturer's Profile incorporated lens correction data contained in the RAW, and now I believe it.
I believe you are right.

The Release Notes are very confusing because they list the FE 28-70mm lens as the only lens having an explicit lens profile.

But it appears that all lenses are supported in the way you describe above.

Paratom

I havent used the A7II enough to tell how it compares to the A7s.
I have to say - yes the A7s high ISO can be amazing - you dont see much difference if its 1600 or 10000...but I think you still see quite a difference between 400 and lower and 1600 and higher - in regards of color specially skin color.
It looks ok in jpgs but I find it kind of dull when using the different profiles in Lightroom. I am mainly talking about desaturated skin color.

jonoslack

Well
I think the A7s is wonderful . . but the high ISO on the A7ii is also fantastic . . . . and the files are pretty nice too!