Site Sponsors

Thread: Tethering a A7R?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tethering a A7R?

Can this be done?

We are integrating Hensel's Freemask system using Mask Integrator software which eliminates the tedious task of outlining complex subjects.

It requires that the camera be tethered to a computer.

My A7R is at a different location right now so I can't work out if it is possible.

Thanks,

- Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tethering a A7R?

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    It requires that the camera be tethered to a computer.
    It does not for most purposes. You can assign any of the two frames in your computer as the mask.

It is a pity that this software does not include an app for Sony to take advantage of the NFC and WiFi capabilities.

If you need to go the old fashioned way, use RCC Sony eSupport - ILCE-7 - Drivers & Software

Although, if your presumptions (shutter lag and such are) to be believed, the Hensel software would be useless with the A7r. Hensel mask apparently requires AFC of 11 frames/s and only 1/10s delay or less between two consecutive frames (according to Hensel).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think those drivers are for controlling the camera from the computer Vivek, but it doesn't say anything about importing the files shot back into the computer.

I had hoped someone had worked out a way to tether using a hot folder that showed up in Lightroom.

The software allows you to see successive shots with any sort of background you may want to use … and then alter subject lighting to match the background … thus the need for tethered capture.

A minimum of 3 FPS is required for Free-Mask which the A7R can do … 10 FPS is to assure something like blowing hair on a model will work and can be separated from the background. Not many cameras do 10 or 11 FPS.

- Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One you can tether the Sony 7 series.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think those drivers are for controlling the camera from the computer Vivek, but it doesn't say anything about importing the files shot back into the computer.

I had hoped someone had worked out a way to tether using a hot folder that showed up in Lightroom.
    Step by step:

How To Tether Sony A7 / A7R / A7S

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, Sony's Remote Camera Control crashes in OS X 10.10, so if you use the current Mac OS, this won't work.

Capture One v8.1 does work (I just tried it with an A7II), and you can set LR5 to watch the Capture folder and Auto Import (I tried it - it works).

Not pretty, but perhaps good enough?

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Capture One you can tether the Sony 7 series.
    This ^

http://briansmith.com/capture-one-pr...ring-for-sony/

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh! He suggests that the A7R will NOT work with Capture One tethering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right on Matt, thanks for checking that and posting the result. Hard to say when that is going to be fixed too, you know what Mavericks are like!

Version 8.1 Capture One Pro for Sony adds Live-View Tethered Capture for Sony A7S, A7II and A77II. The A7R is not supported, for some reason. Possibly needs a firmware update first?

Capture One Express for Sony does not support tethered capture according to my C1 source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought I had the A7r working just recently. But have not tried it with latest update of C1.
    I'll try it today
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought I had the A7r working just recently. But have not tried it with latest update of C1.
    I'll try it today
    Looking forward to hearing the results of your test Guy. The camera I would want to tether is my A7R, not my A7S. I need the greater megapixels for my tabletop work. It would sure be nice to be able to see my focus up large in Live View on my old 30" ACD before tripping the shutter.

These old eyes of mine just aren't up to peering at a tiny screen on the back or in the viewfinder for focus when the work is this critical. Focus bracketing is such a pain in the arse, and at best a hit and miss proposition.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have first hand experience with the product but this is a Lightroom Plugin that states it'll work to tether the A7R...

Sony, Konica Minolta, Pentax and Samsung Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom - DNA Software
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Capture 1 8.01

Sony A7II everything works perfectly including live view

Sony A7R tethers like normal but no live view. Its not supported yet but my bet that will change with a update.

here is the good news. You can use magnified view also to focus
    and you can use AF. It will not use focus peak on computer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can also control . Aperture, shutter ev adj., ISO and you can shoot from the computer as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also side not and OT if you have the A7II get the vertical grip. It does rock

I can't wait till they update the A7R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tethering also works directly with Lightroom and an A7r. I was able to shoot tethered directly and control some of the parameters on the computer (I forget the exact details as it has been awhile.) I was also able to set it up to pull from a hot file. That system didn't really provide tethering but it allowed me to capture the files directly in Lightroom and then send them to a monitor so that the model and I were able to see and makes changes as we shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I've almost totally abandoned tethering with my A7r and most of the time use Sony Smart Remote instead. It let's me use my galaxy note to view the images remotely and touch focus. All the files are saved to the card in the camera which I prefer anyways. Brian Smith has a detailed explanation at http://briansmith.com/sony-smart-remote-embbedded-app/ Sony is still way behind Nikon or Canon as far as the third-party programs but is catching up rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I removed smart remote from my system at first C1 needed it but now with new version it's not needed at all. You could also use Capture Pilot on your mobile device but you still need a computer in place on set.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank You everyone! Lots to digest, and then try when I get hands on my A7R again.

One thing I didn't consider is that the software for Hensel's Free Mask may directly tether anyway … but the info about the USB tether cord was helpful.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Screwed.

The Sony Remote software is for OSX 7 to OS X 9. My laptop is 10.6 and my iMac is 10.10

I still tried. Neither work.

I've never been able to get any Sony Software to work. It's always something or another.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I knew I was better off with Windows
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't need any Sony software to tether in C1 latest version of course

Post Thanks / Like

Also side not and OT if you have the A7II get the vertical grip. It does rock

I can't wait till they update the A7R
    Any news about the update?

Post Thanks / Like

Screwed.

The Sony Remote software is for OSX 7 to OS X 9. My laptop is 10.6 and my iMac is 10.10

I still tried. Neither work.

I've never been able to get any Sony Software to work. It's always something or another.

- Marc
    The Sony Remote software works fine for me with OS 10.10.3 when I test it. I use C1Pro all the time but when I run the Sony software it seems to work fine. Just no live view yet on any tethered software. For that I sometimes use the iPad with the app built into the Sony A7R camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    The Sony Remote software works fine for me with OS 10.10.3 when I test it. I use C1Pro all the time but when I run the Sony software it seems to work fine. Just no live view yet on any tethered software. For that I sometimes use the iPad with the app built into the Sony A7R camera.
    Is it possible to use Capture One and PlayMemories apps concurrently?
    (e.g. Sony camera capturing to computer via USB, and tap-to-focus on smartphone/tablet via Wi-Fi)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    Is it possible to use Capture One and PlayMemories apps concurrently?
    (e.g. Sony camera capturing to computer via USB, and tap-to-focus on smartphone/tablet via Wi-Fi)
    No, I tired it with the latest camera and application update installed and it won't work. Hence that's why I was asking about the update Guy mentioned. The A7r has no live view while tethered. This is absolutely a joke. I have no idea how people who need live view are using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abdulrahman Aljabri View Post
    The A7r has no live view while tethered. This is absolutely a joke. I have no idea how people who need live view are using it.
    I'm not sure what you mean, Abdul. I always shoot tethered. By the way, I've been using the A7r tethered to C1 Pro for months now and it's worked great for me.
    As for LiveView, I'm usually using that on camera, not through the software, which works better for me. If you want a large image, you can feed the HDMI out to a field monitor. Also, though, LiveView through C1 Pro works fine on my Mac. The zoom-in doesn't seem to do anything, but I get a feed with no issues.

CB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean, Abdul. I always shoot tethered. By the way, I've been using the A7r tethered to C1 Pro for months now and it's worked great for me.
    As for LiveView, I'm usually using that on camera, not through the software, which works better for me. If you want a large image, you can feed the HDMI out to a field monitor. Also, though, LiveView through C1 Pro works fine on my Mac. The zoom-in doesn't seem to do anything, but I get a feed with no issues.

CB
    Correct, there is no live view on the computer screen using tethering software. I don't have C1 Pro but I read about the update that included support for Sony cameras and it listed the A7r as "tethering support" only with no live view (see link below). Only more recent models such as the A7II offered live view in C1. Did Phase update C1 recently to support live view on the A7R specifically??

LINK: ILCE-A7R Yes Yes Pro Only: Tether support

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get that chart. I've had C1 Pro Live View with the A7r since 8.3 came out. You should download a demo. Personally, I prefer to use the LiveView on the camera or via HDMI out as I mentioned.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct, there is no live view on the computer screen using tethering software. I don't have C1 Pro but I read about the update that included support for Sony cameras and it listed the A7r as "tethering support" only with no live view (see link below). Only more recent models such as the A7II offered live view in C1. Did Phase update C1 recently to support live view on the A7R specifically??

LINK: ILCE-A7R Yes Yes Pro Only: Tether support
    Its not a C1P issue. It's an "issue" with the camera. Sony upgraded the components starting with the A7s so that why it and the A7II has live view on the computer. I suspect that the A7R too will as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Different people different karma.
    I tried using C1Pro 8.1, it worked perfect as I was trying. Every time I went in a job it let me down, it happened with the Nikon D800 and the Sony A7R. The problem was never the cable as I could connect to other software.
    Now I'm using Sony Remote Camera Control along with Bridge for viewing.
    This is what works for me all times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Different people different karma.
    I tried using C1Pro 8.1, it worked perfect as I was trying. Every time I went in a job it let me down, it happened with the Nikon D800 and the Sony A7R. The problem was never the cable as I could connect to other software.
    Now I'm using Sony Remote Camera Control along with Bridge for viewing.
    This is what works for me all times.
    I am going to download the trail version of Capture One Pro to try this. Does Bridge auto load the pictures as soon as you take them? If so, how did you set it up? I tired searching for this, but could not find anything.

EDIT: NVM, I found out that support for "auto preview latest file" was dropped in Bridge CS6 and never implemented in any update.
    Last edited by Abdulrahman Aljabri; 19th July 2015 at 17:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Well is not auto preview, you just set the destination folder in the Sony Remote Camera Control and you have Bridge open alongside and as soon as the image uploads you have it there, at just a 1 click away.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sad to report live view is not possible with a7r using capture one pro 8. I set my camera to pc remote and opened live view using capture one, but got this message: the selected camera does not support live view.

I took the camera with me anyway to my last hotel photoshoot and tried to use it when time permitted. On the 3 occasions I tired it, it was a negative experience mainly because of lack of live view. It's just impossible to do a hotel photoshoot cramped in very tight spaces (ex: bathroom, small bedroom) without live view. In the one occasion I had plenty of space to stand behind the camera it was an ok experience. The camera screen was a bit small to judge shifting adjustments and the Hcam adapter was not easy to adjust. I felt whatever time I could save in having the lens shifted was lost in working around the lack of live view and other short comings of the a7r (ex: limited auto bracketing).

Looks like I will be selling this camera, because the gains in no way outweigh the loses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sad to report live view is not possible with a7r using capture one pro 8. I set my camera to pc remote and opened live view using capture one, but got this message: the selected camera does not support live view.

I took the camera with me anyway to my last hotel photoshoot and tried to use it when time permitted. On the 3 occasions I tired it, it was a negative experience mainly because of lack of live view. It's just impossible to do a hotel photoshoot cramped in very tight spaces (ex: bathroom, small bedroom) without live view. In the one occasion I had plenty of space to stand behind the camera it was an ok experience. The camera screen was a bit small to judge shifting adjustments and the Hcam adapter was not easy to adjust. I felt whatever time I could save in having the lens shifted was lost in working around the lack of live view and other short comings of the a7r (ex: limited auto bracketing).

Looks like I will be selling this camera, because the gains in no way outweigh the loses.
    You can still use the EVF/Rear Screen to verify/confirm focus. All FE bodies from the A7s on though should have live view enabled through C1P8.

Post Thanks / Like

According to this topic on Capture One Pro forum live view was available with firmware 1.01 and was lost after that:

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtop...b20fbf9#p96220
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

According to this topic on Capture One Pro forum live view was available with firmware 1.01 and was lost after that:

Phase One and Leaf-Mamiya Official User to User Forum ? View topic - Live-View tethering with Sony A7R
    I can confirm that the a7r with firmware version 1.01 tethers with live view to capture one pro 9. I tested a camera that was for sale and it did work. I wanted to buy that camera to further test it but the owner forgot to bring camera accessories and we could not meet again to finalize the deal.