The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?

k-hawinkler

:(

Mine arrived today. But sadly, something is loose inside. The lens wiggles/knocks slightly when reversing focusing direction. For $800 it shouldn't do that. So back it goes for an exchange. Dang!

Hi Mike,

That's unfortunate. I hope your next copy is fine.
My copy feels heavy and solid. No wiggles, knocks, or noise.
The focusing ring is very smooth.
The aperture ring pretty stiff - as it should be for this lens.
The aperture setting really stays where I put it.
Good luck to you.

V

Vivek

This lens seems an incredible value notwithstanding some reports of it falling apart.
It sure is for the price and for those who do not have the other fast lenses. It will be fun to horse around with it (the ones that do not have such lenses can not understand that feeling) with all the fuzziness it throws out. :)

When it comes to serious stuff, such lenses are a royal pain in the back to use. It is not just the lens usage but a very good understanding of space and composition is an absolute must.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:(

Mine arrived today. But sadly, something is loose inside. The lens wiggles/knocks slightly when reversing focusing direction. For $800 it shouldn't do that. So back it goes for an exchange. Dang!

Mitakon on a7S @ƒ0.95
Bummer Mike -- but I know Popflash will make it good ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Moonrise at the lake house. Handheld, auto ISO @ 2000, 1/60th, f5.6:

I whipped up a Lightroom lens profile for the Speed Master. It corrects the mild distortion and vignetting. It is attached if anyone cares to try it.

scho

Many thanks Mike. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.
Here is a quick shot with the 50 Mitakon on the A7II at f/2. Mike's profile applied in LR. Corner vignetting and distortion was nicely cleaned up by the profile.

Center crop

danlindberg

Not trying to hijack the thread, but cannot resist in throwing in some serious smooth out of focus rendering.....;) Ofcourse it helps being a different focal length, but oh my, that bokeh is on its own...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Even a little added focal length will do wonders for aperture/subject isolation. But as we get to 50mm and less, it gets far tougher to accomplish.

cam

Even a little added focal length will do wonders for aperture/subject isolation. But as we get to 50mm and less, it gets far tougher to accomplish.
I beg to differ -- one of the keys with a 50mm is if you dare to get close enough and do!

k-hawinkler

With a close focus adapter for the A7R and Leica WATE at 16 mm and f/4 one can get focus as close as about 4" or 10 cm IIRC. With the OOF background far enough that ought to give an interesting bokeh. :D

SEJohnson83

Guy, not so fast... I know "Bokeh" and oof character are not your thing, but they are mine, and the Mitakon is a special-use lens, not an all-rounder :D

Hence, I think that *IF*

... one wants outstanding character and rendition and sharp optical performance throughout the aperture range, then for sure the ART;

... however wants maximum character at "normal" subject distances and/or gorgeous OOF rendering and Bokeh, then the Mitakon is tough to beat;

... alternatively one rarely plans on using the lens wide open and is looking for optical perfection only, then back to the ART.

All that said, I would NOT give up my ART before the Mitakon, but for anybody owning an A7 series that wants outstanding character and look from a "normal" lens, then look no further than the Mitakon... In fact, I'm going to take it a step further -- I think the Mitakon 50 is a valid enough reason *on its own* to purchase an A7 series body!

I couldn't agree more Jack. I picked up a used a7r just so I could get this lens!