The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Amin!
How different would the f/0.95 Noctilux images look on the M240 (or M9 for that matter)?
For me the Mitakon on my A7R has enough of an f/0.95 effect so that I am not tempted to acquire a Noctilux for my M9. :D
Thanks indeed! ;)
I think I am really going to enjoy the Mitakon! :)

Amin

Hi K-H, the Noctilux gains a bit of edge sharpness and edge color fidelity on M bodies, but center sharpness and overall rendering are no different on A7 vs M.

Don Libby

Since I bought this lens to work primarily on the IR converted A7r I figured this was as good a place as any to share. Both shot outdoors just as it began to rain. Handheld, with a 590nm filter on a full spectrum conversion, both shot wide open.

1/1250 ISO 100

1/3200 ISO 100

Both were processed just a little different from the other. Should also note that this is full frame and not a crop.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the false color Don. The rendering seems a hand-to-glove fit for IR :thumbs:

mmbma

I have been debating. I have the MS optical 50mm 1.1. The Mitakon should be sharper wide open with smoother bokeh, but the MS optical is so TINY and easy to carry

Don Libby

The only drawback on the Mistaken is its weight, put it on the A7r and you have a heavy system. Still not as heavy as some I've used or am currently using (you want weight try a 240 LS on a Phase DF).

j.liam

I did a quick shootout with the 50/0.95 Noctilux and 50/0.95 Mitakon. No attempt made at artistry here. Just 30 min outside in the freezing cold with the two lenses, my A7, and a tripod/self-timer.
Kudos for enduring the cold for science.

In all fairness, the Noctilux was tested on a camera it isn't optimized for (the threads about the sensor cover thickness could fill several volumes) and the scenes are illuminated by dead, flat light & contain items in a dull, subdued color palette. Probably not the best setting for a shoot-off.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Double post but I thought it is worth asking:

Anyone has a link to the lowest price (Mitakon 50/0.95) in the EU? I just looked at the lens details (wasn't available before) and I rather like it. :)

Lucille

I really enjoyed this thread which caused me to join the forum (thanks Jack for the help)

I have been eyeing the Mitakon and almost bought it, I didn't because I already have the Zeiss FE 55 and instead purchased the Zeiss 16-35 FE, but now I find myself wanting the Mitakon again, just to shoot at f/.095......

k-hawinkler

That seems a perfectly good reason to get the Mitakon!
Now f/.095...... that would be a real challenge to focus! :D