Site Sponsors

Thread: VM-E vs. Hawk's V3 Helicoid adapter ON A7S/A7ii

Post Thanks / Like

VM-E vs. Hawk's V3 Helicoid adapter ON A7S/A7ii

I've got a Hawk's v3 helicoid adapter I use on an A7 and A7s. The adapter to body fit is fine on the A7, but really tight on the A7s. It was my experience, and I think common experience, that the mount was improved on the A7 to A7s iteration and, from what I've read as I don't have one, that the A7ii shares the same mount. In general, I have much less play with both native and adapted glass on the A7s vs. the A7.

The issue is that I think the Hawk's adapter is too tight - perhaps it was designed with the A7/A7R mount in mind - and takes some care to remove from the A7s, and I fear mount wear, or adapter wear, or metal shavings in the sensor cavity, etc.

QUESTION: Has anyone used the VM-E adapter on the A7s (A7ii experience may be helpful as well) and can you comment on fit?

I was about to order one, but at $300 I thought I'd check on collective experience here first.

[Note that I posted the same inquiry on FM alt forum]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VM-E vs. Hawk's V3 Helicoid adapter ON A7S/A7ii

I have the VM-E adaptor and when I had the A7 and A7s it seemed to mount on both with the same amount of ease or resistance (depending how you want to put it) I now have the A7II and again no problem. I also have a cheap 'kiwi" adaptor which used to mount very easily on the A7 but is very stiff to get on the A7s and A7II, consequently I tend to use it less as I'm worried that once on it may not want to come off again!!

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

VM-E on A7II fits well. No unusual stiffness, but not easy. This is reassuring. The sucker is heavy, though - just about twice the weight of the ordinary metabones adapter. I don't have the Hawk's, so can't compare.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thx David and Matt!