The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

VM-E vs. Hawk's V3 Helicoid adapter ON A7S/A7ii

darrellc

I've got a Hawk's v3 helicoid adapter I use on an A7 and A7s. The adapter to body fit is fine on the A7, but really tight on the A7s. It was my experience, and I think common experience, that the mount was improved on the A7 to A7s iteration and, from what I've read as I don't have one, that the A7ii shares the same mount. In general, I have much less play with both native and adapted glass on the A7s vs. the A7.

The issue is that I think the Hawk's adapter is too tight - perhaps it was designed with the A7/A7R mount in mind - and takes some care to remove from the A7s, and I fear mount wear, or adapter wear, or metal shavings in the sensor cavity, etc.

QUESTION: Has anyone used the VM-E adapter on the A7s (A7ii experience may be helpful as well) and can you comment on fit?

I was about to order one, but at $300 I thought I'd check on collective experience here first.

[Note that I posted the same inquiry on FM alt forum]

Viramati

I have the VM-E adaptor and when I had the A7 and A7s it seemed to mount on both with the same amount of ease or resistance (depending how you want to put it) I now have the A7II and again no problem. I also have a cheap 'kiwi" adaptor which used to mount very easily on the A7 but is very stiff to get on the A7s and A7II, consequently I tend to use it less as I'm worried that once on it may not want to come off again!!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
VM-E on A7II fits well. No unusual stiffness, but not easy. This is reassuring. The sucker is heavy, though - just about twice the weight of the ordinary metabones adapter. I don't have the Hawk's, so can't compare.

--Matt