Site Sponsors

Thread: Is anyone making chips and/or chipped adapters for the FE mount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is anyone making chips and/or chipped adapters for the FE mount?

I'm thinking about the fact that there are people who make chips for the Sony A mount that work well, and those chipped lenses work on the FE mount with the Sony adapter properly as far as I can tell...

That should mean that it is possible to make a chip for the FE mount to go directly on the lens adapter for other lenses, like Nikon/Canon/Leica/Contax, etc. to FE mount adapters.

Anyone know if the chips are available, and are adapters available to mount the chips to? Doesn't look like Leitax adapters have a spot for the chips, and they are limited in the lenses they adapt anyway.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone making chips and/or chipped adapters for the FE mount?

There was a short discussion on this in FM a little while ago
    How many 'smart' adapters are there? - FM Forums

Summary was;
    Canon EF smart adapters (eg Metabones, Viltrox, ....)
    Contax N Kipon (no AF) and another with AF (Fringer)
    Leica M Phigment
    Contax G Deo Tech

Nothing for other lenses (eg OM, Leica R, Nikon, Rokkor, Contax C/Y, Canon FD etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, thanks. That seems like an opportunity for those guys who already make the chips, but there may be a reason that it hasn't happened yet.

All of my Leica R lenses are chipped and in Leitax mounts, so they report to the a7R correctly, and it would be nice to be able to get that in other lenses as well, especially if ISS will be built into the next round of cameras.

Plus, it helps sort images and develop profiles for the images for application during import, etc.

---Michael

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    OK, thanks. That seems like an opportunity for those guys who already make the chips, but there may be a reason that it hasn't happened yet.

All of my Leica R lenses are chipped and in Leitax mounts, so they report to the a7R correctly, and it would be nice to be able to get that in other lenses as well, especially if ISS will be built into the next round of cameras.

Plus, it helps sort images and develop profiles for the images for application during import, etc.

---Michael
    I have adapters for Leica R, Canon FD, Contax C/Y, and Konica AR to LM which I couple to the Phigment LM to Sony E adapter. This lets me get data for exposure and lens focal length written to exif in the raw files.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Scho,

So you go double adapter then? I wonder how that will work with lens alignment, etc.

Probably no worse than a single adapter I suppose... but could be, if they both err on the same side in the same direction.

---Michael

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    Scho,

So you go double adapter then? I wonder how that will work with lens alignment, etc.

Probably no worse than a single adapter I suppose... but could be, if they both err on the same side in the same direction.

---Michael
    No mis-alignment seen yet, but as you noted the potential is there for problems.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question... what are the expectations of such a chip?

It seems to me the use case would be mounting a single prime lens to the camera. The chip would not have the ability to gauge changes in aperture or focal length.

As such, it would need to be a fairly static parameter set indicating FL, max aperture and possibly vignetting and distortion profiles.

Am I missing anything?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Focus distance. Fix it at random, say 10m or so. This would help activate the 4th and 5th axis stabilization modes in an A7II (and hopefully other future cams with stabilization). With this, there is some added value to a "chip".

Of course, the rear clearance of any adapter has to have the maximum diameter possible, like a 39mm Leica adapter, to minimize any vignetting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Focus distance. Fix it at random, say 10m or so. This would help activate the 4th and 5th axis stabilization modes in an A7II (and hopefully other future cams with stabilization). With this, there is some added value to a "chip".

Of course, the rear clearance of any adapter has to have the maximum diameter possible, like a 39mm Leica adapter, to minimize any vignetting
    Good points... especially the clearance.

The difficult part about a chip like this is to make it mountable on third party adapters. It seems like epoxy is the way they went with the 'dandelion' chips. Unless the adapter and chip are designed together, I'm a little short on other ideas on how to make the chip universal.