The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting interiors...help please.

TEAM KEN

Greetings everyone.
I have been lurking, trying to learn all I can about the Sony offerings
LOTS to learn. The alphabet...A...E...FE..R..

I am thinking of using Sony A7 series body for real estate interior images.
Now I understand the awesomeness of the R...and starting to grasp the A72 new model features.
My current set up is the D800e and my trust old 17-35.
Don't NEED to change...just thinking of embracing the technology ;)

If I were to choose either of these bodies...which lens would be a good choice.
I;m thinking the 16-35 but don't know if the new f4 would serve me better that the older 2.8 with adapter.(I THINK I need the adapter for this to work)
This is where my confusion exist.
Let's leave the tilt /shift discussion for another day.:)

I truly appreciate any input.
Happy New Year to all.
KEN

jfirneno

Greetings everyone.

Now I understand the awesomeness of the R...and starting to grasp the A72 new model features.

I;m thinking the 16-35 but don't know if the new f4 would serve me better that the older 2.8 with adapter.(I THINK I need the adapter for this to work)

Happy New Year to all.
KEN

Ken:
What ISO level would you need and do you need good autofocus? The A7 II is reputed to have 30% better AF than A7 but the A7R has relatively slow AF (especially in low light). The A7S has the best low light capability but the other cameras are fine up to 3200 ISO.

Regards,
John

k-hawinkler

What's wrong with continuing to use the D800e and 17-35?
I own both these items and they can deliver great results.
However, I wouldn't like to carry that weight on a long hike.
But indoors use. How many shots do you take in one session?

TEAM KEN

Hi everyone,
Let me say this.
I use as low an ISO as I can.usual 320-400...do a lot of bracketing 5 images..also will use multiple off camera flash if needed.
I know tilt lens would be great...but haven't used up to now. It is on my list of lens. but for now...
I mentioned that I don't NEED to change. Just embracing the new tech...love the eye piece of the mirrorless. The tilt screen would be great in tight spaces.

I am thinking A72...and a 16-35...just don't appreciate the differences and am not sure what is the better choice.
I'm kinda old school,and enjoy having the fast glass...IF there comes a time when you need it. Just need some Sony input.
Thanks...ken

k-hawinkler

Hi Ken,

I would wait a few months and see what Sony comes up with.
If the A7RII and/or A9 materializes with IBIS you may get the best of both worlds.
Namely lots of pixels and in body image stabilization.
Then the 16-35/4 lens would be great to have.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can't leave out the tilt and shift when you talk interiors. That's exactly what there designed for.

Annna T

Greetings everyone.

Happy New Year to all.
KEN
I think that having fast glass isn't so important for interior shooting : usually you want to have as much DOF as possible and you are using a tripod ? Plus the 16-35mm is already very good at max aperture, so just in case you need F4, it is perfectly usable.

Beware however that this zoom is better at the short end. Starting at 24mm and up the 24-70mm F4 is better. At least my two zooms are so. I had hoped that the 24mm focal length would be better on the 16-35mm than on the 24-70mm, but it isn't the case. I was a little deceived by that, but it made me realize that I had a good copy of the 24-70mm.

Concerning IQ, the A7r sensor is the same as the D800, but some say that Nikon's way of processing files produce slightly better results. I came from the Canon world, so the A7r was a big change in IQ, particularly for the DR and the flexibility of the files when it comes to lifting the shadows. Adapting Canon glass on the A7 series is also easier than adapting Nikon glass. Using Canon TS (tilt shift) lenses on the A7 series would be a top combination !

There are no native wide angle prime for the moment. So if you want to stay with native glass (FE glass), the only choice is the 16-35mm. A wide angle prime is announced for next year, but I think it will be a 28mm only.

Sony's naming is rather confusing : A mount glass is for the DSLRs bodies and you would need an adapter to mount them on the a7 series which require FE lens mount.

E glass has the same mount as the A7 series, but only cover APSC format (Nex bodies and a6000 a51000).

fotografz

Hi everyone,
Let me say this.
I use as low an ISO as I can.usual 320-400...do a lot of bracketing 5 images..also will use multiple off camera flash if needed.
I know tilt lens would be great...but haven't used up to now. It is on my list of lens. but for now...
I mentioned that I don't NEED to change. Just embracing the new tech...love the eye piece of the mirrorless. The tilt screen would be great in tight spaces.

I am thinking A72...and a 16-35...just don't appreciate the differences and am not sure what is the better choice.
I'm kinda old school,and enjoy having the fast glass...IF there comes a time when you need it. Just need some Sony input.
Thanks...ken
What new tech Ken?

By "eyepiece" do you mean Sony EVF verses the Nikon OVF? Is the body size difference really important for what and where you shoot? How important is the ability to adapt other makes of lenses? What does "fast lenses" mean to you? (I'm assuming f/1.4 or f/1.8).

Were you thinking of moving away from Nikon, or is this an addition?

Electronic View Finder: this is great because you see what you will get when the camera menu item "Setting Effect On" is selected. However, when using off-camera flash, you have to dive into the complex menu and select "Setting Effect Off" for a more traditional DSLR type viewing.

Also be aware that when you shoot, the still image appears both on the LCD and in the e-viewfinder (which can be nifty or disorienting depending on circumstances). You cannot have the image automatically show on the LCD only like a DSLR. You have to set it so neither shows, then press the review button for a view of the last shot on the LCD. Probably not as important for tripod shots, but a PITA for many other subjects.

Tilting LCD: helpful for lower or higher angles, but it doesn't rotate or reverse like the Sony A99 SLT's fantastic "tight spaces" LCD.

Fast Lenses … in the native FE mount there is only a 50/1.8. There are more speedy glass choices in the Sony A mount (A99, A77-II etc), which can be adapted to the A7 series bodies.

Personally, I think you'd be better served with a A99 to dip your toe into the new tech. Then add an A7 series camera using an LEAE-4 adapter for the A99 lenses.

Just my 2¢ based on doing exactly that when I moved to Sony from Nikon.

- Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
i find a tripod and f/8, wider lenses and T/S quite useful. also the folding LCD. more mpxls means you have room to crop

mjm6

You can't leave out the tilt and shift when you talk interiors. That's exactly what there designed for.
I agree, but it sounds like he is shooting the burn and turn real estate images, where you can easily do those adjustments for small reproductions with the parallax corrections in PS, so that may not really be much of an absolute requirement anymore.

Frankly, I wouldn't shoot that without a TS, but lots of people do these days. For what little money they get, there isn't really time to do that kind of fiddly adjustments anyway.

---Michael