The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Me Buy a Leica lens - not too many $$

JMaher

I am thinking about trying a manual lens on my Sony (A7r & A7II).

I am intrigued by all the discussions on Leica lens and think I should just try it.

HOWEVER, I am being cheap about this and would like to be around $500 (less if possible) (more if I need to) :) Possibly I am crazy and there is nothing good around this price?

I have two focal lengths I am currently interested in.

- small 90 for portraits (probably my first choice).

- 28 (or even better a 24).

I call upon any of you - what would be a good place to start?

Jim

Viramati

Well you could pick ip one of the old 90 elamar's or elmarit's for a few hundred pounds and they will probably perform well for what they are. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any leica 28mm lenses that perform well on the A7's though the Minolta m-rokkor 28/f2.8 is about the best performer but then it has the issue of white spots around the front element

V

Vivek

M-Rokkor 90/4 (the smallest 90mm there is) and M Rokkor 28/2.8. Don't be spooked about the "white spots" the Leica M lenses have more problems than that (IQ wise). Both are Minolta lenses and not really Leica.

The one lens I a super pleased about (on an A7r) is the AA Summicron 75/2. If you can, highly worthwhile to have it in your arsenal.

jonoslack

The one lens I a super pleased about (on an A7r) is the AA Summicron 75/2. If you can, highly worthwhile to have it in your arsenal.
Nice to have something we can unequivocally agree on Vivek - a gorgeous lens, small but perfectly formed and sharp where it should be, with a lovely bokeh where it shouldn't.

serhan

Sony is releasing 28mm f2 in Feb-April... Zeiss wide and tele Loxias are coming at the end of this year..

For 90mm, I recommend also Contax g 90mm 2.8 ($274 at Adorama). MF adapters are not the best, but you can convert to m or get the af adapter. Other small Leica option is Summarit 90mm f2.5. I saw it used as low as $1000.

Here is Saxbike posted a Contax g photo:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/618821-post264.html

Mine on nex:

On the wide side CV21 1.8 works also, wide open on A7R:

Godfrey

M-Rokkor 90/4 (the smallest 90mm there is) and M Rokkor 28/2.8. Don't be spooked about the "white spots" the Leica M lenses have more problems than that (IQ wise). Both are Minolta lenses and not really Leica.
The M-Rokkor 90/4 was a Leitz design, and was actually made by Leitz on the same assembly line as its twin, the Elmarit-C 90/4, in Germany until Leica discontinued the CL. Minolta continued its production for the CLE in Japan.

G

JMaher

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Within the reasonable price range these are under $400
M-Rokkor 90/4
LEICA 90MM F/4 ELMAR C WETZLAR

The LEICA 90MM F/2.8 ELMARIT BLACK M MOUNT LENS {39} is around $600

LEICA 90MM F/2.8 TELE-ELMARIT-M BLACK M MOUNT LENS {39} around $900

All these are basically graded at KEH of rating of excellent

The 75/2 is around $3,000 and far out of range for a "starter" Leica lens. :(

While I loved my Contax T - the G lenses seem to be difficult to focus easily or so I have heard.

Any further thoughts based on the price comparisons?

k-hawinkler

M-Rokkor 90/4

While I loved my Contax T - the G lenses seem to be difficult to focus easily or so I have heard.

My suggestion: Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8. It's small and an excellent lens.
There is also an Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (it's not the Elmarit you listed). It's even better than the TE but big and heavy.

cam

M-Rokkor 90/4

You're not likely to find any Leica lens within your price range unless something is seriously wrong with it. You just aren't… M lenses, maybe, but not Leica branded.

What didn't you like about the Contax glass? You said you loved it but have heard they are difficult to focus? Have you tried? On what body? Manual lens will be quite similar as far as ease on the A7 bodies, at least in my experience.

If you have a lens who's draw you love, I'd try it on your cameras before searching out Leica glass -- an adaptor is far less money.

Viramati

M-Rokkor 90/4

I have the elmarit-M 90/2.8 (narrow version with built in lens hood) and it is indeed a fantastic lens. Yes it is out of your price range but is worth every penny it costs and I would say it punches well above it's price range

JMaher

Cam,

Contax makes great glass. My Contax T was a compact rangefinder with a fixed lens.

My understanding is that the "G" lenses do not smoothly work when adapted. The is not the case with all Contax glass but is particular to the "G" lens type. Please correct me if this is a mistaken opinion. I have heard noting but praise about the "G" 90 sharpness but many complaints about adapting them.

Jim

Godfrey

Everyone is focusing on Leica M-mount lenses when Leica R-mount lenses are, most of the time, equal or better quality, work better on the A7 series bodies than M-mount designs, and are generally far less expensive (until you get the late '90s super models).

Both the Elmarit-R 24 and Elmarit-R 28 mm lenses are easily findable for $500-$700. I have the 24mm and it is a peach. The 28mm (version 2) lens is even better, but it typically goes for a solid bit more money (and honestly, the differences are small).

A Summicron-R 90mm f/2 is a super lens for portraits, and also findable between $500 and $650.

Note that R lenses are not small like M lenses, but they are extremely well made and produce superb imaging qualities. My R lenses are why I own the A7—I don't have any native lenses for it, and only occasionally use other lenses on it (M-mount or Nikkors or pinhole lenses).

G

I am thinking about trying a manual lens on my Sony (A7r & A7II).

I am intrigued by all the discussions on Leica lens and think I should just try it.

HOWEVER, I am being cheap about this and would like to be around $500 (less if possible) (more if I need to) :) Possibly I am crazy and there is nothing good around this price?

I have two focal lengths I am currently interested in.

- small 90 for portraits (probably my first choice).

- 28 (or even better a 24).

I call upon any of you - what would be a good place to start?

Jim

V

Vivek

Cam,

Contax makes great glass. My Contax T was a compact rangefinder with a fixed lens.

My understanding is that the "G" lenses do not smoothly work when adapted. The is not the case with all Contax glass but is particular to the "G" lens type. Please correct me if this is a mistaken opinion. I have heard noting but praise about the "G" 90 sharpness but many complaints about adapting them.

Jim
I bought one here as a set (with Metabones adapter). I do not find it (focusing) particularly bothersome but it is too contrasty to my taste even in soft light. With flash use, it will be even worse than the FE 55/1.8 but may be sharper as well.

The focus ring is slightly wider than the E mount while the aperture ring diameter is quite narrow unlike a M-Rokkor or an Elmar 90mm.

I will snap a pic if you like.

cam

Cam,

Jim
I honestly have no clue re the G lenses.

I am just hoping you can open your mind and consider other options since, I think, the Leica ones are out of your range… There are others that are quite stunning (look in the oldies thread) and see if something thrills you.

JMaher

Cam - Thanks for your comments. I am not really hung up on Leica just looking to try something new. The idea of a small lens with great optics is appealing.

Godfrey - will look at the R versions. Probably heavier than I had hoped but they may be fun as well. Also considering the two f/4 options you suggested.

K-H - considering the Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 for it's size and quality.

Every one else, thanks as well for interesting suggestions with I could justify the more expensive lenses but probably not at this point.

Jim

scho

Hi Jim,

The Contax G lenses can be modified to Leica M mount and focusing is then quite easy and smooth.

Here is a modified Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar mounted to a Sony A7II via a Phigment M to E adapter.

Snap taken with above setup at f/4

and with the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar

As Vivek noted, the Contax G lenses have very high contrast, but are also very sharp. Bokeh is not as smooth as the leica lenses and can be harsh at times.

JMaher

Carl,

Somehow I missed this. I originally looked at these lenses for m4/3 and the adapters were pretty awkward. This is a much better option for these lenses.

Jim

Annna T

Cam,

Jim
This is all correct. I did also have a Contax T and liked it a lot. This was my first camera with a good lens. The Contax G lenses which I have too, are difficult to MF because they were made for AF and adapters have to make use of a small screw to focus it. Often they aren't able to move it smoothly. I have got a smart Deothech adapter, but my version is rather tricky and often isn't't able to focus smoothly either. Plus those smart adapters are pricey (although the price may have come down since I got mine).

The G lenses are excellent, very sharp with a lot of micro contrast, but their bokey is a little busy and they exhibit purple color fringe quite easily in backlight situations. They have a very different look from the M lenses and are better adapted to those who like very sharp pictures than to those who want smooth bokey for portrait work.

Godfrey

Godfrey - will look at the R versions. Probably heavier than I had hoped but they may be fun as well. Also considering the two f/4 options you suggested.
Here are my Leica R lenses on the A7:

The only one that's rather too unwieldy is the first, the Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1. It's a very large and heavy lens; the Elmar-R 180mm f/4 is FAR nicer to carry about.

G