The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APO Summicron 75/2 (for Sony FE mount)

V

Vivek

Hi Jonas, OTUS 85/1.4 may be your ticket. Will take care of both the flatness worries and it has a fast aperture.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, I've never found a situation where the 28, 50, or 75 Crons were insufficiently sharp wide open. I don't have any Aspherical Luxs, but the same can't be said for pre-asph versions, even at f/2.

--Matt

Jonas

Aber Vivek, the Otus is 1200 grams and bigger than my d--k. I certainly hope my "flatness worries" are imaginary only.
Cheers!

Jonas

Well, I've never found a situation where the 28, 50, or 75 Crons were insufficiently sharp wide open. I don't have any Aspherical Luxs, but the same can't be said for pre-asph versions, even at f/2.

--Matt
Oh, for flat targets as described above I can stop down to f/2.8 or f/4, no problems. I just need to know they are critically sharp from border to border, or better yet, from corner to corner. I can however not afford a buy and try experiment.
Thank you for the work and replies!

V

Vivek

Aber Vivek, the Otus is 1200 grams and bigger than my d--k. I certainly hope my "flatness worries" are imaginary only.
Cheers!
That is why I snapped a picture of the A7r with the AA 75/2 (comes with a fabulous built in hood that can be erected, er, extended when needed). :D
Buildings and such can be shot stopped down a bit and without much worries.

To summarise what I went through before settling on the 75/2:

I have tried the APO Rodagons 75mm lenses (f/4 and f/4.5 made for 1:1 and 2:1 copy work ). Their field flatness holds only for those magnifications though. Not worth the bother to permanently mount them to use with the A7r.

Others: A Zeiss S-Planar 75/4 (for 1:1) and an S-Tessar 75/4.5 documentation (copy) work (both have MTF that will knock you dead!). Zeiss Planar 75/4.5 (prewar uncoated, flat field macro lens). The Planar has "special" characteristics being uncoated. :)

Unlike the APO 90/2, the 75/2 is a modern design and absolutely works with the modern digital bodies and is way cheaper than the flawed ZM 85 Sonnar.

The best 75mm for me (for my use) is the AA 75/2.

Oh, for flat targets as described above I can stop down to f/2.8 or f/4, no problems. I just need to know they are critically sharp from border to border, or better yet, from corner to corner. I can however not afford a buy and try experiment.
Thank you for the work and replies!
Take a look to MTF of macro elmarit r 60 and apo macro elmarit r 100.
The 60 is very underrated and cheap, but should be perfect for your needs.
The 100 is fantastic, but a bit exepensive, but less than the 75.
I have both, and also your same needs.
Sergio

Jonas

Hi Sergio,
...and thank you.

I have a good copy of the Elmarit 60/2.8. For a non-APO lens it is very good, perhaps the most APO-like non-APO I've tried. But it is heavy (500+ grams with adapter), slow and a bit large with the adapter. I would like something longer, smaller, faster, smoother and, well, more APO. This is a question about diminishing returns, no doubt.

Maybe it is more theoretical at the moment. I quickly sold my A7 as I couldn't take the build quality and the feel of the shutter release. Maybe the A7MkII fits my hands better but I don't know that at the moment. We'll see.