The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9: coming soon to you ...

It taught a good lesson to all 3-d party lens manufacturers who were thinking of trying to enter FE/E-mount club with AF lenses. Sony NEX line PDAF is still not supported by Touits. Guess why Zeiss decided to stick to manual focus in Loxia line?
guess again? :)

"Touit 2.8/12 E-mount & Touit 1.8/32 E-mount:
An update to firmware version 02 is available for the Touit 2.8/12 and Touit 1.8/32 lenses with E-mount. With this version, the lenses also support phase detection autofocus and the fast hybrid autofocus of newer Sony E-mount cameras."

I believe the newer Macro already supported PD and hybrid.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would desperately love to see more crop options on the new Sony..

Namely a 5:4 ratio!

At this stage, I have the back screen taped up to represent this but when using the eyepiece, there is only 3:2 or 16:9.

Other options would be nice as well, 1:1 would be awesome and something that I often use on my Ricoh GR

The other option which would be nice but will probably never happen, is to have the camera crop to a certain aspect ratio ( 5:4 ) but then have the full 3:2 sensor file captured, leaving the option to creatively crop in post..

That is one really nice thing about the higher end Nikon DSLR's, they have a 5:4 option and it is something that I much prefer.. I t also is much closer to many medium format film cameras..

What do you guys think?
:thumbs: I agree. I have a pathological dislike for 3:2 overall, not so much in landscape orientation but it doesn't work for me at all in portrait mode. It just seems too tall & skinny. YMMV.

I'd love to have the crop option or even just a visual indicator on the EVF/LCD for both 1:1 & 5:4.

4season

Looks like Canon is very worried about what Sony might do next. The just-announced 5DS won't be available until June. That sort of pre-announcement has the smell of them trying to stop/slow defections to Nikon and Sony by being able to say 'we've got more pixels'. Never mind that everything else about the camera is the same or worse than earlier models. The DPReview first-look is lukewarm at best. Very odd strategy by Canon, methinks.

Last edited:

dandrewk

It's all a numbers game, and Canon thus far has been a 3-toed sloth with innovations. They had to do SOMETHING to try and steal the technological high road.

Now we'll see what Sony has in response. At least now we have an idea what the A9(?) may cost.

johnnygoesdigital

Maybe Canon is actually doing it right by letting all the Sony,Nikon fanboys sling it out. Most pro's I know stay with a camera/ lens combo that works for them regardless of how many models hit the market. Hobbyists and prosumers are more likely to take the bait in this ongoing planned obsolescence campaign. So while some get offended when their cameras are dissed, others will wait for great camera buys when the market is flooded with last years tech. This is more like a social experiment or a focus group because it's not so much about the newer tech, but more of ego's. IMO.

I too have wanted the best, but soon it became obvious that most cameras will take incredibly good photographs right down to my first Canon 10 D. For me it became a question of reliability over bells and whistles. It's all good when we have choices.

Uaiomex

Mirrorless main advantage has been neglected.

Mirrorless technology has advantages and disadvantages over mirrored cameras.
In my opinion the one main advantage of mirrorless has been overseen so far: Multi-ratio cameras.
Manufacturing a slightly bigger sensor than 24X36 could be enough for having in one camera all popular pictures ratios without sacrificing any effective sensor area. I mean a rectangle in any ratio bearing 864 square mils.

If I would want to push the technology even higher to the sky (heavenly), I would manufacture a 36X36 Exmor sensor.
Multi ratio and horizontal-vertical switching with a sweet push of my pinky!
This can be achieved using all FF lenses in existence. No new lenses needed as long the sensor is instructed to yield a square or rectangle within the boundaries of the image circle projected by the lens.

Regards
Eduardo

[
QUOTE=wallpaperviking;619680]Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would desperately love to see more crop options on the new Sony..

Namely a 5:4 ratio!

At this stage, I have the back screen taped up to represent this but when using the eyepiece, there is only 3:2 or 16:9.

Other options would be nice as well, 1:1 would be awesome and something that I often use on my Ricoh GR

The other option which would be nice but will probably never happen, is to have the camera crop to a certain aspect ratio ( 5:4 ) but then have the full 3:2 sensor file captured, leaving the option to creatively crop in post..

That is one really nice thing about the higher end Nikon DSLR's, they have a 5:4 option and it is something that I much prefer.. I t also is much closer to many medium format film cameras..

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]