Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 149

Thread: A9: coming soon to you ...

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow A9: coming soon to you ...

    Better start selling your A7II now ...

    (SR5) New PRO Full Frame A9 E-mount camera is placed above the A7 series.



    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Kodachrome, product life: 74 years



    Nikon F, product life: 14 years



    Sony camera, product life: 1 year



    The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    November 19, 2014?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    How would the A9 be any sort of replacement for the A7II? The A7II is a replacement of the A7.

    In all likelihood, it's a step above the A7r. Beefier, higher mpx sensor, IBIS, better AF, full electronic shutter, etc. Different camera entirely, aimed at an entirely different customer base - a complete pro level camera. It will be priced accordingly, up there with the top bodies from Canon and Nikon.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    How would the A9 be any sort of replacement for the A7II? The A7II is a replacement of the A7.

    In all likelihood, it's a step above the A7r. Beefier, higher mpx sensor, IBIS, better AF, full electronic shutter, etc. Different camera entirely, aimed at an entirely different customer base - a complete pro level camera. It will be priced accordingly, up there with the top bodies from Canon and Nikon.
    Because many of the potential customers, the pro and enthusiast photographers, currently use A7s/r/II cameras. Time will show what it's "up there with".
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Nevertheless, it's aimed at a more professional user. There are obvious exceptions, but most "enthusiasts" don't spring for a camera that's likely in the price range of the D4, or at least the D810. If Nikon released a D5, would Nikon users call it a too-soon replacement of the D750?

    The purported A9 is not an A7 next-gen upgrade. We already have that. This is a product line placed above the A7 series.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    The purported A9 is not an A7 next-gen upgrade. We already have that. This is a product line placed above the A7 series.
    That is correct, but it doesn't change the fact that many A7++ users will sell their cameras to upgrade to the A9++, making the prices of second hand A7 cameras sink even further, and that includes the recently released A7 II. For me, this is great news, since I mostly buy obsolete cameras at bargain prices.

    I'm sooo looking forward to buying the yet not announced A7s II second hand for somewhere under $1,000. With the speed Sony is working, that won't take long. The "old" A7 is already selling for such prices, which is what one have to pay for any average plastic DSLR with a crop sensor new. My ten year old F6 is probably more worth these days than a less than a one year old A7. Who would have thunk

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    I agree with that, but it's a sign of the times. It's been this way since "Moore's Law" guaranteed the computer you bought would be obsolete in a year or two. Cell phones are upgraded every year, many times with improvements being barely perceptible. For those with patience and lacking the need for "new", there is money to be saved.

    I used to beat myself for NOT being in that latter group. But now I embrace it. This makes my pockets ripe to be picked by Sony, Apple etc. So I just <shrug> and enjoy, and continue to rely on my wife's infinite patience. I'll freely admit to being a bit of a chump, but a happy one!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    I wonder if we will ever reach the point where by the time a new camera is actually available to buy in the shops, its replacement has already been announced?! Whatever, while I too am a sucker for the latest and greatest, I do miss the era when new cameras where released some years apart, not apparently on a near annual basis.

    Then again, it's the lenses that make the image, and I have just purchased a 1999 vintage Leica summilux 75mm f/1.4 to use on my A7r / A9 / A10 / A11 (etc.). Its back to the the future. I want some magic. It's all become too sterile.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Bring it on. If it's not what you want or need than wait for the next one . To me this is not about saving assets it's about functions and features that I need . The A7r is a great start but it's also limited and not a long term camera. The A7II is much better at being a long term unit. It's the second generation and the A7r needs to get to gen two. This has very little to do with losing money on depreciation . Under 3 k cameras is really not a concern. 40 thousand dollar backs that drop to 23 thousand in a year now that's far more a concern. Been there done that and burned the T shirt over it. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    haha, I have resisted the temptation of upgrading and still enjoy using my Nex 5r with speedbooster adapter . I really enjoy using the articulating high resolution EVF, and it's small size.

    As much as I enjoy my 5r, if the A7 ii indeed falls below $1k second hand I would be willing to upgrade

  12. #12
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bring it on. If it's not what you want or need than wait for the next one . To me this is not about saving assets it's about functions and features that I need . ...l
    ...and of course, we are as much to blame as the manufacturers. An A7r will be just as good in 3 or 5 years time as now, when we are all shooting 60mp or more DSLRs, but we won't be happy if we don't have the latest and greatest. Mea culpa.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

  13. #13
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Maybe this new A9 will finally have all what I want from a FF mirrorless camera.

    Hopefully

  14. #14
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Thats the beauty of it from a manufacturers standpoint, is that it will not have all you want, so you will purchase the next version with that hope.
    Hope is eternal, LOL.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    The electronic shutter is the major selling point to me, but I think I will stay with the A7r until the A9 replacement comes out in the very least. Even though I cringe at the way too soon obsolescence of my A7r, I greatly appreciate the advancement of the technology.

    Joel

  16. #16
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    All too true ............... Except the camera life is more like 6 months!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Kodachrome, product life: 74 years



    Nikon F, product life: 14 years



    Sony camera, product life: 1 year



    The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    I am going to use my Nikon F2 to smash the D70 (dead "BGLOD" due to a fatal flaw that Nikon refused to acknowledge for a year while they sold >1 million of them, they replaced that model with the D70s with no change but without the flaw) and then rip it off to use the Titanium shutter curtains as lens flocking material.

    I might even video tape the whole thing with one of my Sony cameras.

    (And make some snaps of it with expired (and long dead) Kodak Ektar 25.)

  18. #18
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse
    I think, today, I'm going to take my old, busted, obsolete, barely useable A7R and A7S out and make some images. I'll just have to suffer with them until someone makes a good camera I can buy.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Shepherdstown, WV USA
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am going to use my Nikon F2 to smash the D70 (dead "BGLOD" due to a fatal flaw that Nikon refused to acknowledge for a year while they sold >1 million of them, they replaced that model with the D70s with no change but without the flaw) and then rip it off to use the Titanium shutter curtains as lens flocking material.

    I might even video tape the whole thing with one of my Sony cameras.

    (And make some snaps of it with expired (and long dead) Kodak Ektar 25.)
    Nikon did something similar with the 8000 medium format film scanner. It had a never acknowledged problem with the illumination changing color temperature in the course of a scan, resulting in a substantial color gradient across the length of a 6 x 9 scan. They came out with the 9000 a couple of years later which solved the problem, but never any acknowledgement, fix for the 8000, or credit of any kind to 8000 owners wishing to purchase a 9000.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Shepherdstown, WV USA
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    I expect Sony will be a bit more conservative with the release of pro bodies: longer development cycles, more research, a refinement of technology introduced in the A7 line instead of introducing a lot of new technology potentially requiring v2 to fix it. I expect we will see, in addition to the 46 MPx sensor, more robust build quality, dual processors for increased speeds and (hopefully!) completely uncompressed 14 bit raw to the card, ibis, a larger or multiple batteries, higher frame rates, more refined focus tracking, etc.

  21. #21
    Member mesposito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Kodachrome, product life: 74 years

    Nikon F, product life: 14 years

    Sony camera, product life: 1 year

    The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse
    Jorgen - I think you know this, but this is not a completely valid comparison. The A7 was the first FF mirrorless, so it seems obvious to me that it would have a shorter lifespan, especially in today's competitive market. Hard to compare that with the Nikon. (or the way the market worked at that time)

    I might agree with you on your true sentiment, which I believe is that it's depressing to be feature milked to death by camera manufacturers.

    In this case though, I can't understand why we wouldn't want them to continue producing better versions as fast as they can. After-all, wasn't it you that was moving back to Nikon due to the lack of capabilities in mirrorless? It seems like a no-win then.

    Do we want the new capabilities or not? If it were an $8000 camera body I could agree that it would be crazy, but especially with the A7/A7ii it's really a low-cost body.

    Back to the A9...

    If it materializes with 40+ megapixels, I'll just say this: Be careful what you wish for. I can see the hundreds of threads now bemoaning how native FE lenses can't resolve and we need all new lenses. Mark my words. You don't have be brilliant to see this coming.

    I'd rather see them stop at 36mp and just make a better A7r.
    -- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    In 2004, all DSLR cameras had flaws. It was groundbreaking technology. In 2014/15, we have seen very little, if anything, that has been groundbreaking. Still, cameras are brought to the market with flaws, and still, new models are presented as some kind of revolution, even though they are just slight upgrades from the previous model, and in many cases introducing features that were known when the previous model was introduced. With few exceptions, this goes for all camera manufacturers.

    It seems to me that many new cameras are brought to the market too fast, before a proper evaluation has been done with regards to available technology and what would be useful for the intended target group. Unfortunately, this seems to be accelerating and unfortunately, consumers seem to accept paying to work as beta testers for the industry. That is not what I call progress.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    Nikon did something similar with the 8000 medium format film scanner. It had a never acknowledged problem with the illumination changing color temperature in the course of a scan, resulting in a substantial color gradient across the length of a 6 x 9 scan. They came out with the 9000 a couple of years later which solved the problem, but never any acknowledgement, fix for the 8000, or credit of any kind to 8000 owners wishing to purchase a 9000.
    Established liars and cheats.

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mesposito View Post
    Jorgen - I think you know this, but this is not a completely valid comparison. The A7 was the first FF mirrorless, so it seems obvious to me that it would have a shorter lifespan, especially in today's competitive market. Hard to compare that with the Nikon. (or the way the market worked at that time)

    I might agree with you on your true sentiment, which I believe is that it's depressing to be feature milked to death by camera manufacturers.

    In this case though, I can't understand why we wouldn't want them to continue producing better versions as fast as they can. After-all, wasn't it you that was moving back to Nikon due to the lack of capabilities in mirrorless? It seems like a no-win then.

    Do we want the new capabilities or not? If it were an $8000 camera body I could agree that it would be crazy, but especially with the A7/A7ii it's really a low-cost body.

    Back to the A9...

    If it materializes with 40+ megapixels, I'll just say this: Be careful what you wish for. I can see the hundreds of threads now bemoaning how native FE lenses can't resolve and we need all new lenses. Mark my words. You don't have be brilliant to see this coming.

    I'd rather see them stop at 36mp and just make a better A7r.
    Sony could easily have produced the A7 II a year ago. There's nothing in the new model that wasn't known then, some things for decades (like a decent grip and a sensible position for the shutter release). Sony brings imperfect products to the market because they aim to sell you another, better one next year. It's part of their policy to keep you dissatisfied, to want something more as soon as the smell of new camera has evaporated.

    Yes, these are new times, and the sixties won't come back. But I see an industry that is catering for consumerism as much as (or more than) they cater for photography. There's no way Sony will support all their cameras and all their standards forever. It's simply not economical. For how long will they be able to deliver parts for each model? 10 years? 5 years? 2 years?

    The best Sony camera so far was the A900. I'm afraid it will remain there at the top of the heap for a long time, unless they have a big surprise in store for us with the A9 or whatever it will be called.

    Sorry for being harsh, but as good as some of these cameras are, I see a negative development here. I've really left this train, but the stations seem to be on fire as far as I can see down the track...
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    This is nothing new. Automobile companies have released new models every year, well, for years.

    When I was a kid my dad would take me by all the car lots in the fall as soon as the new models hit.

    There wasn't a lot of new technology being released...it was all about style, feeling, design, and 'deriving pleasure from owning and using it.'

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUDl78gdelM#t=0m42s

    'Notice how your neighbors look on with admiration as you drive out in your new Chrysler'

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8857WvWyQ#t=0m34s
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

    The best Sony camera so far was the A900.
    That was a trailblazer of a camera when yours was a yesteryears Fuji Sx whatever.

    Never bought that one and you give a stamp of approval saying that was the best.

  27. #27
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That was a trailblazer of a camera when yours was a yesteryears Fuji Sx whatever.

    Never bought that one and you give a stamp of approval saying that was the best.
    Used 6 years old A900 bodies sell for about the same as used 1 year old A7 bodies.

    I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford it and because I was too heavily invested in Nikkor lenses already.

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sorry for being harsh, but as good as some of these cameras are, I see a negative development here. I've really left this train, but the stations seem to be on fire as far as I can see down the track...
    As you said: You're just taking a cheaper train a year or so later and it will whistle happely through all the beautifull stations.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Yeah, once a gear becomes old and discontinued (be it film or a camera) then it is golden.

    Someone should build a shrine. I will donate a bunch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Used 6 years old A900 bodies sell for about the same as used 1 year old A7 bodies.

    I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford it and because I was too heavily invested in Nikkor lenses already.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    As you said: You're just taking a cheaper train a year or so later and it will whistle happely through all the beautifull stations.
    When my son was little we used to take him once a year to the south of the country to watch Thomas (the steam engine). Oh, I miss those good old steam engines.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The best Sony camera so far was the A900. .
    True, in that it was a proper Nikon / Canon type dslr and intended to establish Sony as a serious player in the high end digital camera market, But it offered nothing new. I loved mine while I owned it.

    The E-Mount mirror-less cameras starting with the NEX series are something much newer. Smaller, challenging the traditional form factor for full frame, and in the probable upcoming A9 E-mount, finally achieving full pro status and features, so Sony deserve some credit as mould breakers.

    On the other hand, I find the A7r / A7II lack soul. They are great tech, and the A9 will no doubt be even better, but it's a computer with a lens mount - disposable here today, gone tomorrow technology. In comparison, I can understand why people shell out cash for a relatively antiquated design from Leica, and why film is having a bit of a revival.

    By the way, things are not much better with medium format, except there is less innovation and the depreciation is ruinous.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    We finally got rid of the smoke, Vivek

    " A new gadget that lasts only five minutes is worth more than an immortal work that bores everyone " Francis Picabia

    So hop in A9! I l'll wait for you. I am glad I did not buy all the in betweenies
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 5th January 2015 at 09:39.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    ...... I have just purchased a 1999 vintage Leica summilux 75mm f/1.4 to use on my A7r / A9 / A10 / A11 (etc.). Its back to the the future. I want some magic. It's all become too sterile.
    Good choice. I splurged recently on a 1981 Summilux-R 80MM and am having so much fun with it on my A7. Like you, I plan to use it on the A11 when it is out.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Member mesposito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sony could easily have produced the A7 II a year ago. There's nothing in the new model that wasn't known then, some things for decades (like a decent grip and a sensible position for the shutter release). Sony brings imperfect products to the market because they aim to sell you another, better one next year. It's part of their policy to keep you dissatisfied, to want something more as soon as the smell of new camera has evaporated.

    Yes, these are new times, and the sixties won't come back. But I see an industry that is catering for consumerism as much as (or more than) they cater for photography. There's no way Sony will support all their cameras and all their standards forever. It's simply not economical. For how long will they be able to deliver parts for each model? 10 years? 5 years? 2 years?

    The best Sony camera so far was the A900. I'm afraid it will remain there at the top of the heap for a long time, unless they have a big surprise in store for us with the A9 or whatever it will be called.

    Sorry for being harsh, but as good as some of these cameras are, I see a negative development here. I've really left this train, but the stations seem to be on fire as far as I can see down the track...
    Technology is never as simple to build and market as you might think. I don't think you're being harsh at all. As I said, I agree that they generally are in an environment that works as you describe it. That doesn't mean that they aren't catering to photographers as well though. We should be smarter than the consumers and buy new tech that helps us relative to the investment.
    -- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    But it's fascinating also. When the A7 was launched, I was thinking of buying one when the second hand prices went under $1,000, believing that I looked 2-3 years into the future. Now, we're there already, and I see the $500 label coming up in another 2 years, maybe earlier, particularly if many start migrating from the A7 II to the A9. I can see that happen within the coming year even.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    On the other hand, I find the A7r / A7II lack soul. They are great tech, and the A9 will no doubt be even better, but it's a computer with a lens mount - disposable here today, gone tomorrow technology.
    Quentin, most technology will be gone tomorrow sooner or later.
    And don't you think we (photographers) are the ones who have to put "soul" into our images. At least the souls of the latest Sony's can handle a lot more shadow and highlight recovery as those from the Foveon sensors whose files are rather "clean" instead of full of "soul".
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Comparisons to photographic gear from before the digital age is invalid. Back then, having an SLR set you apart from the crowd. How often would you go to popular tourist spot or events and see someone with an F2 (or similar)? Even the Brownie type point and shoots were relatively rare, compared to today. The more expensive SLRs were only for very serious hobbyists and pros.

    Nowadays, everyone with a cell phone is a photographer, and this has led to an explosion of sales. Camera depts. at all the big box retailers are huge. This "easy entry" allowed more folks to get the bug, and want something better.

    Of course the manufacturers are adjusting to the new found consumerism, because there are a LOT more consumers. More revenue, more R&D, more marketing, and more competition - all hallmarks of the much larger market. The A7 is not your Daddy's camera.

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lopez Island, WA
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    I guess I don't understand all this concern about depreciation of camera gear. I have an A7R and an A7II so I am into Sony bodies for close to $4k. And they are worth less and less every day. But I am using the heck out of these cameras for my personal and professional photography. To me it's not depreciation, it's just a use cost like skiing or a sporting events or whatever. Nobody seems to care that they are taking a hit when they buy sports tickets or lift passes or monthly cell plans, cable etc.

    I guess it would bother me if I was collection camera bodies but I'm not. I'm pretty sure my hourly cost of owning these cameras will end up being pretty low. And a far better entertainment value that a movie ticket .
    Web: Bill Evans Photography

    Facebook: @BillEvansPhotography
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    I guess I don't understand all this concern about depreciation of camera gear. I have an A7R and an A7II so I am into Sony bodies for close to $4k. And they are worth less and less every day. But I am using the heck out of these cameras for my personal and professional photography. To me it's not depreciation, it's just a use cost like skiing or a sporting events or whatever. Nobody seems to care that they are taking a hit when they buy sports tickets or lift passes or monthly cell plans, cable etc.

    I guess it would bother me if I was collection camera bodies but I'm not. I'm pretty sure my hourly cost of owning these cameras will end up being pretty low. And a far better entertainment value that a movie ticket .

    Could not agree more . For me they make me money but even if they did not the depreciation is so low to usage value it's not remotely a concern.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Sony has long been the leader in mirrorless cameras, and they stand alone in FF mirrorless cameras. The A7 series has been a great success, and no doubt the competition has taken notice and will soon have their own FF offerings.

    Sony needs to stay ahead of the the technological curve. They want to grab the DSLR owners who make the switch to mirrorless. They don't want Nikon/Canon etc. to introduce a new FF camera and have it sit next to a year old Sony on the dealer shelves.

    I think we can see yearly updates for the foreseeable future.

  41. #41
    Workshop Member Bryan Stephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    How would the A9 be any sort of replacement for the A7II? The A7II is a replacement of the A7.

    In all likelihood, it's a step above the A7r. Beefier, higher mpx sensor, IBIS, better AF, full electronic shutter, etc. Different camera entirely, aimed at an entirely different customer base - a complete pro level camera. It will be priced accordingly, up there with the top bodies from Canon and Nikon.
    According to the rumor, the price point wont even be close to the top end Nikon or Canon camera price poiints which are just shy of $7,000. The A9 is rumored to be around $3,000.
    Bryan

    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #42
    Workshop Member Bryan Stephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Could not agree more . For me they make me money but even if they did not the depreciation is so low to usage value it's not remotely a concern.
    Geez. Imagine how I feel with all the money in former Nikon and now Canon gear for my sports photography which is just a hobby to me. I only wish I could get paid.
    Bryan

    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

  43. #43
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Comparisons to photographic gear from before the digital age is invalid.
    To the contrary, its the only valid point of comparison, but it actually favours digital.

    Let me explain.

    I'm pro digital, but born out of a pre-digital age. My first "serious" digital camera was a Fuji S1, featuring a mighty 3.4mp sensor with jpeg only output, no RAW. Since then, I have owned or used more digital cameras than you can shake a stick at, as well film cameras from Zenith, Nikon, Bronica, Rollei, Mamiya, Canon and Contax, LF cameras up to 8x10'', scanned film using flatbeds, a Howtel drum scanner (think its still out in the barn somewhere....) Imacon and Nikon CCD scanners, I conclude we have never had it so good! We are spoilt for choice, the old limitations blown away. I do not miss the hassle and limitations of the darkroom, or the cost of film or of labs developing Vevia, Provia or whatever.

    It's largely all gone. And good riddance.

    So while I would like the major players like Sony to inject more soul in to their products, by making them more appealing to discerning photographers, i.e. like the great contributors to these forums, frankly if they just carry on as they are, that will do. There are quirky guys around - Sigma with their DP series of foveon based cameras for example, or Leica with its retro appeal. I use the former and appreciate and may use the latter.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    That's not the point, really.

    The complaints are that Sony (and others) surrender to consumerism by releasing marginal updates every year, not like the "old days" when a camera model wouldn't be replaced for several years.

    Consumerism for "serious" cameras in now a factor, simply because there are a lot more consumers for these products. The camera buyer is a "victim" of their camera's own success.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #45
    Workshop Member Bryan Stephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Well if the rumors are indeed true, then this release is hardly what I would consider a marginal update over their current line of cameras, as it at least appears as though they are combining the efforts on their recent additions into one camera, and increasing the mp count as well.
    Bryan

    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #46
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    The strange thing is that I owned and used a Leica M8 for over four years and sold it for half of what I paid for.

    Since I sold that camera about two years ago I have acquired two Sigmas, a Ricoh, a RX1, an A7 and and A7r.

    Maybe there is lesson in there somewhere.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #47
    Senior Member 4season's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    ...I would like the major players like Sony to inject more soul in to their products
    What is "soul"?

    To me, the A7 is a bit like a Honda automobile: You expect it to simply work without fuss right down to the smallest detail. Nothing in it's operation is different simply for the sake of being different. No one is going to write a cringe-inducing essay on "The Tao of A7"; it's just a picture-taking tool.

    As for new models, Sony will survive just fine if I don't buy every incremental upgrade they offer.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    But it's fascinating also. When the A7 was launched, I was thinking of buying one when the second hand prices went under $1,000, believing that I looked 2-3 years into the future. Now, we're there already, and I see the $500 label coming up in another 2 years, maybe earlier, particularly if many start migrating from the A7 II to the A9. I can see that happen within the coming year even.
    Bottom feeders would rejoice!

  49. #49
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    According to the rumor, the price point wont even be close to the top end Nikon or Canon camera price poiints which are just shy of $7,000. The A9 is rumored to be around $3,000.
    I doubt that Sony will make a camera which is comparable to the D4s. That's a special camera particularly suited for sports and action photographers. The relevant comparison would be the D810, which costs around $3,000.

    If frequent upgrades have any merit at all, the A9 should sail large circles around the Canons. The 5D III and the 1Dx are antiques compared to any Sony, being around three years old. Oh, the horror

    If photographers are willing to pay more for an old A900 than for an almost new A7, does that mean that the A900 is a better camera or that photographers are stupid?

    Edit:
    I found the answer to the question myself. Even the ancient (more than 6 years old) Canon 5D II sells for more than the Sony A7. Photographers must indeed be stupid and unable to understand that salvation is available from Sony already. Sony should sell these cameras on a subscription basis. "Deposit $20,000 with Sony and receive a brand new Sony A-Something each year for ten years and the 11th camera for free. New user interface guaranteed with each new model!"
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 5th January 2015 at 16:09.

  50. #50
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: A9: coming soon to you ...

    Dang...

    I guess this means I might as well sell everything since I can't keep up!


    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •