Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Yes, and it is amazing how they got one lens so right (55/1.8) and the other lens so mediocre (35/2.8)

LouisB
    I would hesitate to call the 35/2.8 mediocre. Don't confuse a pedestrian lens speed for poor optics.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The Nikkor will not hold a candle to that 55/1.8 whether it weighs nothing or weighs a ton. Absolutely no match whatsoever.
    Well it should, shouldn't it, costing nearly 5 times as much. One can of course compare it with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S that coincidentally weighs exactly the same as the Sony lens and still costs less than half. One can also claim that the Sony is a Zeiss, and therefore is a much better lens, but I look at the photos and see very little difference, if any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really miss GetDPI.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are people heaping lavish praise on the Sigma ART 50/1.4, in case you have not noticed.

Nikon are hardly known for their 50s despite what the Nikonistas may believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Well it should, shouldn't it, costing nearly 5 times as much. One can of course compare it with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S that coincidentally weighs exactly the same as the Sony lens and still costs less than half. One can also claim that the Sony is a Zeiss, and therefore is a much better lens, but I look at the photos and see very little difference, if any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Read my post again Jorgen, I said, paired with the A7 bodies. Even if they are equivalent lens weights, the Sony is going to be a lighter combination that takes less volume in your bag.

You can play the lens equivalent game all day and lose.

Canon 5D Mark III with 16-35mm f/4 860g + 615G = 1475g (plus camera body bulk and extra 3/4" of lens length when packed in your bag)

A7mII with 16-35 f/4 550g + 518 = 1068g and a smaller volume package.

Want to compare to the Nikon D810 and A7r?

880g+680g = 1560g (plus a full 1" longer lens) vs 407g+518g= 925g and a much smaller volume package.

Basically the weight of the lens is saved in this comparison!!!
    If you compare with the larger Canon/Nikon bodies instead of the 6D/D750, they will obviously be larger as well as heavier. That was rather predictable, wasn't it? I don't know the Canon 5D III well, and it's a rather old camera now, but I have compared the D810 with the A7 II and the A7r. Image quality, specs as well as ergonomics left me with no doubt, which is why I bought the Nikon despite it being the more expensive and heavier/larger choice, and I did that after using mirrorless cameras for most of my photography for 5 years. One of the reasons for my choice was the size of the Sony lenses, which are almost without exception as large and heavy as their Nikkor counterparts. I can live with a camera that is 300 grams heavier then, a camera where I need only two batteries for a full day of shooting and where I don't need a vertical grip to get a firm grip of the camera for long shoots and use with heavy lenses.

Sorry for being grumpy and a bit off topic. It's six in the morning.

Edit: I use a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW to carry my camera and lenses most of the time. I've tried that bag with the D810 and with the A7 II plus lenses. There's space for exactly the same number of primes of similar focal length (4 mostly) in addition to the camera body, batteries, cards etc. if I put either the Sony or Nikon body in there. The 300g weight difference is hardly noticeable with a bag that totals around 3 kilograms, and since 6 batteries are needed to power the Sony for a day of shooting vs. the Nikon's two, the two cameras would be the same weight more or less. Adding the, in my view, necessary vertical grip to the Sony, something I haven't been able to try, would complicate matters.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 11th January 2015 at 16:09.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

best line:
    "no smiley"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are only OT on the Nikon forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are people heaping lavish praise on the Sigma ART 50/1.4, in case you have not noticed.

Nikon are hardly known for their 50s despite what the Nikonistas may believe.
    I don't care what Nikon is known for. I care what I see in photos.

What is a Nikonista? I have used Olympus for 30 years and Fuji, Panasonic and Nikon for 5 years each. Is that what defines a "Nikonista"?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and the Leica 50 Lux costs 4X as much as the Sony Zeiss 55FE. You're just reaching for an anti-Sony point now.

Back on topic.

I don't see why choice is such an inflammatory topic for some. If you don't like it then don't buy it. I've been waiting on his lens since it was announced last May. While I agree there are some notable holes in the lineup like a fast ultra wide prime and a fast portrait AF lenses (Rokinon has non-AF options.) I'm happy that they are providing fast lenses for those who actually need them because f/2.8 is slow for my personal uses. I actually bought Guy's Sigma Art 35 for that reason. Yes the Sigma is large but it's not ungainly on the A7 cameras. Most importantly it provides enough resolution/resolving power for the A7r.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't care what Nikon is known for. I care what I see in photos.

What is a Nikonista? I have used Olympus for 30 years and Fuji, Panasonic and Nikon for 5 years each. Is that what defines a "Nikonista"?

Not a single mention of the "walkman" use and you are here lecturing about what is wrong with them while talking up the flavor of your month (or more exactly half a decade).

Is that not obvious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The title of this thread is "New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.". I did not start it. I have not stated that the Sony cameras are bad in any way, rather the opposite actually. But I have stated the rather obvious fact that due to the size and weight of the lenses, a mirrorless 35mm camera represents little size and weight savings over a corresponding DSLR camera as a total package. I do however experience, like other posters on other forums, that criticizing Sony is not a smart thing to do.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not stated that the Sony cameras are bad in any way, rather the opposite actually.
    "cameras that everyone wants but no one needs". On the A7 series, just in another thread (not Nikon forum but here).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The title of this thread is "New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.". I did not start it. I have not stated that the Sony cameras are bad in any way, rather the opposite actually. But I have stated the rather obvious fact that due to the size and weight of the lenses, a mirrorless 35mm camera represents little size and weight savings over a corresponding DSLR camera as a total package. I do however experience, like other posters on other forums, that criticizing Sony is not a smart thing to do.
    Criticizing Sony is fine and I think most Sony owners have some criticism of their products/service. That being said there has been a more agressive change in Sony's strategy since the NEX-6 that's been more proactive towards positive changes based on consumer feedback.

It's just when you erroneously spout so many half truths or rarely remain constructive or fair in your criticism that some take exception to your opinions.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK, Sony has never advertised nor promised a small, compact SLR. The A7/r/s being smaller is a byproduct of mirrorless technology, not a feature of it.

All this "concern" about Sony somehow losing its way with larger lenses and bodies is addressing a feature that has never existed. The fact will always remain that faster lenses will require larger lenses. Mirrorless doesn't change that.

If size/weight is an issue, there are perfectly good non-SLRs that will fit the bill.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    AFAIK, Sony has never advertised nor promised a small, compact SLR. The A7/r/s being smaller is a byproduct of mirrorless technology, not a feature of it.

All this "concern" about Sony somehow losing its way with larger lenses and bodies is addressing a feature that has never existed. The fact will always remain that faster lenses will require larger lenses. Mirrorless doesn't change that.

If size/weight is an issue, there are perfectly good non-SLRs that will fit the bill.
    I agree and I suggested that to many who were concerned over lens size or wanting greater DoF. Micro 4/3 is an excellent and complete system for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you compare with the larger Canon/Nikon bodies instead of the 6D/D750, they will obviously be larger as well as heavier. That was rather predictable, wasn't it? I don't know the Canon 5D III well, and it's a rather old camera now, but I have compared the D810 with the A7 II and the A7r. Image quality, specs as well as ergonomics left me with no doubt, which is why I bought the Nikon despite it being the more expensive and heavier/larger choice, and I did that after using mirrorless cameras for most of my photography for 5 years. One of the reasons for my choice was the size of the Sony lenses, which are almost without exception as large and heavy as their Nikkor counterparts. I can live with a camera that is 300 grams heavier then, a camera where I need only two batteries for a full day of shooting and where I don't need a vertical grip to get a firm grip of the camera for long shoots and use with heavy lenses.

No need to apologize. I respect anyone's decision to shoot a DSLR. Unfortunately some people can't just leave it at a personal decision and must question the viability of an alternate choice because it doesn't fit their needs or they think Sony should be able to design rangefinder sized AF 35/1.4 lenses.

Just don't have a lot of patience for platform shaming.

At the end of the day, if you want a FF platform that can shoot the smallest lenses with the smallest bodies, the only arguable options are a Leica or a Sony with rangefinder glass.

The problem we have here is that some view the Sony as a pure DSLR replacement and one that must do all the same things with the same lenses but smaller and lighter. I continue to think that this is or will become possible to an extent, but it is not the reason I am using the platform. I'll say it again - it is all about flexibility for me. I can configure the A7 S, M, L or XL. Can't do that with a D810, at least not to the point where the camera slips into my windbreaker pocket.

At the end of the day, that's what I'm looking for but that's just me.

hmmm, I don't think the D750 compares too well either...30% heavier and significantly larger.

Last edited by Show Performance; 11th January 2015 at 16:56. Reason: Added size comparison
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chad, That D750 is in my radar (notwithstanding the size or the bulk) as it promises to be the digital Holga. Google "D750 flare" and there are plenty of images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"cameras that everyone wants but no one needs". On the A7 series, just in another thread (not Nikon forum but here).

There are many good cameras on the market that many want but no one needs, or at least very few. The Nikon Df is another one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many good cameras on the market that many want but no one needs, or at least very few. The Nikon Df is another one.
    Interestingly enough is the Nikon Df is the one Nikon I'd be interested in...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can configure the A7 S, M, L or XL. Can't do that with a D810, at least not to the point where the camera slips into my windbreaker pocket.
    ... and that is obviously one of the great things with mirrorless systems, the different A7 models included. This is also why I don't understand why Sony haven't given higher priority to a complete range of compact prime lenses, from around 20 to around 85 or 100mm. This was one of the main reasons for the fantastic success of the OM cameras and it's one of the reasons for the success of Leica M. Adapted lenses are fine, but they have to be bought too, and they mostly don't feature AF. Sony certainly don't make any profit from those adapted lenses either. I would think that profit is as important for Sony as for any other commercial enterprise.

And don't say it's because it's a young system. Professional manufacturers plan these things. Look at m4/3, look at Fuji. They both follow a clear, easy to understand plan for their lens road maps. If Sony don't understand the important success factors in this market, it's worrying. It's worrying because it will have impact on the system as a whole. I would have been an A7 user and a Sony customer if I knew I could trust them with these things. I don't, so I'm not. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Interestingly enough is the Nikon Df is the one Nikon I'd be interested in...
    there you go. There must be something wrong with you

To be honest, it's one of my favourites too, but I can't afford it, not now anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Criticizing Sony is fine and I think most Sony owners have some criticism of their products/service. That being said there has been a more agressive change in Sony's strategy since the NEX-6 that's been more proactive towards positive changes based on consumer feedback.

It's just when you erroneously spout so many half truths or rarely remain constructive or fair in your criticism that some take exception to your opinions.
    Hired Arm:

What you say resonates with what I think. To my mind the constant harping is way over the line. But the admins say this is just spirited discussion. So I must be the one out of line. I'm finding myself getting annoyed and sarcastic so it's time to give up on this thread.

Jorgen:

You've taught me a lesson. GetDPI can resemble DPR, but only if you let it.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

there you go. There must be something wrong with you

To be honest, it's one of my favourites too, but I can't afford it, not now anyway.
    Yeah and prior to the A7'the M9 was my main system for 4 years as limiting as it can be. I originally bought the A7R as a backup body... That was the plan. I liked the A7R so much I ordered a A7 the same week.

As for the Df I thought about getting one for my woman for Christmas but now I'm leaning more towards an A7II.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't let it , it's only opinions. Some systems carry very passionate followers. For me I dont buy labels and I mostly go by what works and what does not for me as a whole. On spirited discussions all for them but this will never be DP review as long as my fingers on are on the control switch. I have little tolerance for insults
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... and that is obviously one of the great things with mirrorless systems, the different A7 models included. This is also why I don't understand why Sony haven't given higher priority to a complete range of compact prime lenses, from around 20 to around 85 or 100mm. This was one of the main reasons for the fantastic success of the OM cameras and it's one of the reasons for the success of Leica M. Adapted lenses are fine, but they have to be bought too, and they mostly don't feature AF. Sony certainly don't make any profit from those adapted lenses either. I would think that profit is as important for Sony as for any other commercial enterprise.

And don't say it's because it's a young system. Professional manufacturers plan these things. Look at m4/3, look at Fuji. They both follow a clear, easy to understand plan for their lens road maps. If Sony don't understand the important success factors in this market, it's worrying. It's worrying because it will have impact on the system as a whole. I would have been an A7 user and a Sony customer if I knew I could trust them with these things. I don't, so I'm not. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Their lens lineup works for me (helps that I was an A-mount shooter and have rangefinder glass) and I trust them based on everything they have done since the release of the A7.

The NEX line was for consumers, while Fuji and Olympus differentiated by targeting traditional photographers and enthusiasts - and did a fantastic job (I've used them all).

With FE, Sony is going upmarket and their lens lineup and roadmap reflects that. I don't think it is as laser focused as Fuji's but it is also very early - just over a year in so yes it is a young system and there is a planned, respectable roadmap. No one else is doing it with FF and if they start, they are going to have to reset their lens lineup as well.

Don't expect to or want to convince you that Sony is going to produce everything you want or need. For me, I'm about 80% there. Once I get my remaining A-mount lenses in FE mount (28/2, 35/1.4, 135/1.8 and 200/2.8), I'm done. I'll be halfway there in March. For the other two, I can wait out the native versions since I can continue to use them adapted today.

Future is bright.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Hired Arm:

What you say resonates with what I think. To my mind the constant harping is way over the line. But the admins say this is just spirited discussion. So I must be the one out of line. I'm finding myself getting annoyed and sarcastic so it's time to give up on this thread.

Jorgen:

You've taught me a lesson. GetDPI can resemble DPR, but only if you let it.

Regards,
    John
    I hear you and in reality I think Jorgen is a really decent guy and long time contributor. Sometimes you just learn to compartmentalize opinions on some level. I'm sure others do that for me too. That's cool. I am a very opinionated person myself so I can respect him having an opinion even if I don't agree with it.

My main motive in responding is that there are those that lurk or are doing their own research and may take Jorgen's opinions as fact although he hasn't lived with any of the A7 cameras (or even handled one until recently.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chad, That D750 is in my radar (notwithstanding the size or the bulk) as it promises to be the digital Holga. Google "D750 flare" and there are plenty of images.
    hahah

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me the Sony was a possible alternative to the Fuji X-T1 or the Leica M 240. With these big lenses the Sony is no longer under consideration for me.

I am not looking at the Sony as a DSLR replacement.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Future is bright.
    Indeed!

Congrats on being selected by Sony into their Artisan program, Chad.

[he's too modest to mention this himself.]
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Indeed!

Congrats on being selected by Sony into their Artisan program, Chad.

[he's too modest to mention this himself.]
    Thanks Robert.

To clarify, I am not a Sony Artisan. I believe they call it "Sony Associate of Imagery"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert.

To clarify, I am not a Sony Artisan. I believe they call it "Sony Associate of Imagery"
    Congrats. What does that mean!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    For me the Sony was a possible alternative to the Fuji X-T1 or the Leica M 240. With these big lenses the Sony is no longer under consideration for me.

I am not looking at the Sony as a DSLR replacement.
    If size is your concern, aren't your Leica lenses the same size on either the Sony or the Leica?

The Fuji lens lineup is beyond reproach but you are shooting APS-C. Nothing lesser about that but if you want (for your own reasons) to be shooting FF, well, APS-C isn't.

And please don't think I am instigating a FF vs APS-C vs m4/3 argument. Nothing would bore me or the members of this thread more If m4/3 or APS-C is acceptable or preferable for you, then those platforms are mature and fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats. What does that mean!?!
    I'll get to attend and speak at some Sony events, provide content to them, etc.

Probably similar to the other manufacturer's shooter programs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you and in reality I think Jorgen is a really decent guy and long time contributor. Sometimes you just learn to compartmentalize opinions on some level. I'm sure others do that for me too. That's cool. I am a very opinionated person myself so I can respect him having an opinion even if I don't agree with it.

My main motive in responding is that there are those that lurk or are doing their own research and may take Jorgen's opinions as fact although he hasn't lived with any of the A7 cameras (or even handled one until recently.)
    Thank you for that, and let me also add that the choice between Nikon and Sony was not an easy one this time. There were other factors too involved, in both directions, that I haven't mentioned here. These are exciting times. I'm off to Vietnam in a few hours. Hopefully there will be time for a photo or two, but those will be posted on another thread

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats, Chad!

May the force be with you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Chad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If size is your concern, aren't your Leica lenses the same size on either the Sony or the Leica?

The Fuji lens lineup is beyond reproach but you are shooting APS-C. Nothing lesser about that but if you want (for your own reasons) to be shooting FF, well, APS-C isn't.

And please don't think I am instigating a FF vs APS-C vs m4/3 argument. Nothing would bore me or the members of this thread more If m4/3 or APS-C is acceptable or preferable for you, then those platforms are mature and fantastic.
    Fuji may have found the perfect compromise between image quality, size and price. When (if?) they fix the video performance, they will be very hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji may have found the perfect compromise between image quality, size and price. When (if?) they fix the video performance, they will be very hard to beat.
    The market is so fragmented. I don't know that anyone is going to win or lose. And by anyone, I mean us, the shooters.

*edit

oh boy, that made no sense. Meant that we are all going to win. Hope no one loses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a real video camera for video, so for me that's a non-issue. I do love the X-T1 and lens lineup when I need autofocus, and the M240 does everything else for me except sports.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I use a real video camera for video, so for me that's a non-issue. I do love the X-T1 and lens lineup when I need autofocus, and the M240 does everything else for me except sports.
    hehe, three cameras? That's a lot to pack.

The A7mkII can tick all those boxes for you

Just playing Brad. Sounds like you are in Excellent (even envious) shape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hehe, three cameras? That's a lot to pack.

The A7mkII can tick all those boxes for you

Just playing Brad. Sounds like you are in Excellent (even envious) shape!
    +1 to that. The A7 II and S plus the GH4 are probably the best video cameras on the market below $5,000 once you get used to the different ergonomics. I have mostly used the GH3, and the quality is very, very impressive. The A7s is simply beyond belief. An A7s II with the ergonomics and IBIS of the A7 II and internal 4K recording will be very hard to resist.

What?!? Did I say something positive about a Sony product? And one that won't be launched for several weeks even?
    I'll wash my mouth later today... promise

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What?!? Did I say something positive about a Sony product? And one that won't be launched for several weeks even?
    I'll wash my mouth later today... promise
    Hahah, do it now Jorgen!

Yeah, I think there are quite a few people waiting for an A7sII with IBIS. Anecdotally, I have a couple concert shooter friends on Canon that also do video and they can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you missing the days of your youth? I ask because you seem to be inexplicably attracted to flares.
    Mid-life crisis!?!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am afraid that I can not relate to your younger days. FWIW, I was up to my neck with books.

We are talking about camera gear and there is an unique, long sought after digital Holga in the D750 from Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, I was up to my neck with books.
    That's a great way to hide your flares!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, I have no clue what your ailments were or what you are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You've never heard of flares?( Flared trousers) Are you too young?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you don't mean "flair"?

37 Pieces of Flair on Vimeo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brilliant. Now THERE'S a guy who definitely wears flares!
    I must stop this. I seem to be obsessing!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and prior to the A7'the M9 was my main system for 4 years as limiting as it can be. I originally bought the A7R as a backup body... That was the plan. I liked the A7R so much I ordered a A7 the same week.

As for the Df I thought about getting one for my woman for Christmas but now I'm leaning more towards an A7II.
    This is pretty much my story as well. When I went digital I had been shooting Nikon for years so had a lots of their lenses and ended up with the D700 and the holy trinity of nikkor zooms etc. a versatile but hefty setup with the introduction of the Leica m8 I started to expirement with the Leica system and ended up totally switching systems. As much as the Leica system is very good and fits my style of shooting it has some severe limitations so I dabbled with the Fuji X systems and as good as it is the crop factor annoyed me so when the Sony
    System appeared I tried out with the A7 and have been slowly building my Sony kit to the point where the Leica M doesn't often see its way out of the safe. Size wise the bodies are similar and yes the Sony lenses are bigger but I can use my Leica lenses on it on the Sony which I can't on the Nikon DSLR.