The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Advantages and disadvantages of large and small maximum apertures can be discussed till the moon turns into a blue cheese. There will always be different needs. I believe the main reason for large apertures on older cameras was the lack of high ISO film. Today, it has become part of the creative expression for many, like ultra wide angle lenses, macro lenses and other gear that make photos look differently from what the eye appears to see.

Personally, I find most f/1.4 lenses to be too large, and I rarely need or use lenses faster than f/2 or 1.8 on 35mm. Still, I wouldn't mind a 24mm f/1.4 for low light photography. But for a camera that boasts small size as one of its features, it becomes rather counterproductive. The OM Zuiko lenses didn't go larger than f/2.0 for anything but the 50/55mm lenses to maintain the compact size of the system, and even those 50mm lenses were launched relatively late if I remember correctly.

If I were Sony, I would have designed an extensive range of f/2.0 or f/1.8 primes for the A7 Series cameras, similarly to what Nikon has done for their FX DSLR cameras lately. They could even sell them as sets, like 20/28/50/85. Instead, they launch a mammoth 35mm f/1.4 that will probably only be bought by a limited number of enthusiasts.

cam

I have been hearing so much about the Mandler magic. A thoroughly fascinating conversation topic, especially in a Sony forum. :p
You can use Mandler lenses on the Sony and other older character lenses, as you well know.

But if you insist on me keeping it "all Sony," so be it… Why can't they make an FE equivalent of the lovely little 35/2 Sonnar on the RX1/R?

V

Vivek

But if you insist on me keeping it "all Sony," so be it… Why can't they make an FE equivalent of the lovely little 35/2 Sonnar on the RX1/R?
I don't and I have no idea why you are projecting. Have you posted any images here?

Why is the 35/2 Sony lens in the RX1 lovely? Any samples? :)

[Sony have what they call "advanced aspherical" lenses. I asked Zeiss about it and they have no idea.]

Personally, I find most f/1.4 lenses to be too large, and I rarely need or use lenses faster than f/2 or 1.8 on 35mm. Still, I wouldn't mind a 24mm f/1.4 for low light photography. But for a camera that boasts small size as one of its features, it becomes rather counterproductive. The OM Zuiko lenses didn't go larger than f/2.0 for anything but the 50/55mm lenses to maintain the compact size of the system, and even those 50mm lenses were launched relatively late if I remember correctly.

If I were Sony, I would have designed an extensive range of f/2.0 or f/1.8 primes for the A7 Series cameras, similarly to what Nikon has done for their FX DSLR cameras lately. They could even sell them as sets, like 20/28/50/85. Instead, they launch a mammoth 35mm f/1.4 that will probably only be bought by a limited number of enthusiasts.

And there lies most of the problem with personal opinion. It is personal :LOL:

I'm thrilled they are coming out with a large aperture 35mm since it is one of my tools of choice, for various reasons - I would not bother justifying or defending them.

Still, I agree that Sony should target the photographer's set in smallish size in the f/2.0 to f/1.8 range and they must agree as well since it looks like they basically have 28/35/55 knocked out if we forgive the 35mm for being a 2.8 and the 50mm for being a 55mm.

Not sure if we will ever get a small 85mm though.

V

Vivek

If I were Sony,
You are not Sony, you have no interest in buying their "Walkmans". That is a given. :)

I am going to look more into that ""I AM Advancing" slogan and see if that advances any Nikon shooter in any way. :)

cam

Why is the 35/2 Sony lens in the RX1 lovely? Any samples? :)
You've seen plenty of samples (even here on this forum)…

I happen to think Sony got the look, size, and speed right with that lens and wish it would consider an f/2 range as Jorgen said… I personally find it a much more pleasing lens than the FE 35/2.8. My own personal opinion, obviously.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm struggling to find the problem here.

The 35/1.4 is on the large size of the spectrum, granted, but it looks to my eyes to be about the size of the 35G and LA-EA4 combo and likely will weigh much less.

Look at the Canon, Nikon and Sigma 35/1.4 if you want large and heavy.

The new Zeiss FE paired with one of the A7 bodies is going to be smaller, weigh less and be just as good if not better than the DSLR equivalents.

If size is the issue, go small with rangefinder glass. Can you do that on your DSLR? Want AF and compactness? there is always the FE 35/2.8.

This is the beauty of the A7. So much flexibility.
Why would the 35mm f/1.4 weigh much less than a DSLR equivalent? Few if any other Sony FE lenses do that, which is shown with the zoom lens examples above. The FE 55mm f/1.8 weighs 281g while a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G weighs 187g and is considerably smaller.

Jonas

That is what I referred to as speculations and suggestions. :)

Do not take offense but Ken Rockwell's "review" of the A7 pretty much said the same in a practical sense.

With so many variables and problems with usage depending on the user, there is little point in comparing camera A and B (assuming all else is the same).
...and then we can agree that it is not about the sensor size, right? Can we also agree that everybody involved in the discussions are a) saying the can see things they wish weren't there, and b) that it is too early to say anything for sure. In fact, we were much more humble than you when you mixed in the sensor size. Not everybody are idiots.

I don't take any offense. I stopped reading KRockwell years ago. If he found something about reflections internally caused by the sensor topping it is more than I expected from him.

About your last sentence... It should be mentioned that it also has been about the same user, the same tripod, the same lens the same adapter and the same freaking everything except for the camera and one minute in time. I'm sure you can find variables but I find the comparisons valid. All of them together make it very clear there are differences between the A7 and the other models. OK, if you have no problems with the sensor topping reflections then it is good for you.

EDIT: Now seeing more replies posted while typing I wish I hadn't entered this thread. So confronting, so much bad karma. I think I'll stay away for a while.

Last edited:

jaree

It is great that Sony is coming out with these new lenses and if they are large, then good so long as the build quality and IQ is great. Current FE 35 is small enough and quite good. For those that find the new FE 35/1.4 large can pick the current FE 35.

There is no issue with the new lens sizes as there are plenty of options for small adapted lenses on the A7 series. And if this is not enough, then I am sure manufacturers other than Sony will have something that meets the criteria for folks looking for a small FF camera with an EVF, a superb sensor and really tiny native large aperture AF lenses with superb build and image quality.

Next in line, please.

V

Vivek

The FE 55mm f/1.8 weighs 281g while a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G weighs 187g and is considerably smaller.
The Nikkor will not hold a candle to that 55/1.8 whether it weighs nothing or weighs a ton. Absolutely no match whatsoever.

V

Vivek

OK, if you have no problems with the sensor topping reflections then it is good for you.
Hi Jonas, Please do not read too much into things which aren't there at all. You bought the A7. Did not like it for various reasons and sold it. End of story.

Annna T

I think for those who like a little more shallow DOF constantly m43 is the better path.
But if you dont want shallow DOF, one also has not to complain about the size of the mockup 35/1.4 because one could just use the 35/2.8 instead.
The problem doesn't lie with the 35mm focal length, but with the priorities they have chosen and the lack of coherence : they have managed to issue a lovely small FF mirrorless body, with which one would expect smaller and lighter lenses (at the cost of speed), but now before issuing a few F2.8 wide angle lenses, they are putting out a monster 35mm F1.4, while we already have a 35mm F2.8 and the Loxia F2. There are already three 35mm and barely one 28mm F2 announced. They are issuing another 90mm macro monster, but there are no nice small all round 90mm.

The A7 serie and FE system isn't well thought. It is rather erratic in its development. Or it is like those TV series where the producers ask the followers how the story should go on, but there is no united voices and so they proceed without any readable logic. Once left, once right as if pushed by the wind.

Jonas

Hi Jonas, Please do not read too much into things which aren't there at all. You bought the A7. Did not like it for various reasons and sold it. End of story.
Lol. Vivek, why not look at what's there instead of ignoring it? No smiley.
Maybe you noted I edited my last reply a little. See you later.

V

Vivek

The A7 serie and FF FE system isn't well thought. It is rather erratic.
You can say the same thing about any other system. The Leica M (notwithstanding some claiming Mandler magic and all that is ancient) has a brand new set of lenses for digital with spanking new designs. Nikon have a brand new set of lenses that serves the current FF bodies. Canon are out of the running at the moment as their sensors are dated.

V

Vivek

Lol. Vivek, why not look at what's there instead of ignoring it? No smiley.
Maybe you noted I edited my last reply a little. See you later.

Cheers, Jonas. :)

I would admit that I do not visit many (almost none) fora out there and am not privy to an ongoing, long running discussion elsewhere. May be I should keep out of FM, dprevs, etc forum references and what goes on over there, even when it is inserted here.

Annna T

You can say the same thing about any other system. The Leica M (notwithstanding some claiming Mandler magic and all that is ancient) has a brand new set of lenses for digital with spanking new designs. Nikon have a brand new set of lenses that serves the current FF bodies. Canon are out of the running at the moment as their sensors are dated.
Not sure to get your point ? It is absolutely normal that old systems already having a lot of lenses are evolving and adapting their line to digital, plus they do already satisfy different needs for different customers. The Sony FE system however is something entirely new and their development plans aren't very clear IMO.

jfirneno

First two FE primes:
FE 35 f/2.8
FE 55 f/1.8
Coming in February FE28 f/2

Gee it's like they went forward into the future and read your post and then went back in time and did it.

Regards,
John

Last edited:

biglouis

Yes, and it is amazing how they got one lens so right (55/1.8) and the other lens so mediocre (35/2.8)

LouisB

Why would the 35mm f/1.4 weigh much less than a DSLR equivalent? Few if any other Sony FE lenses do that, which is shown with the zoom lens examples above. The FE 55mm f/1.8 weighs 281g while a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G weighs 187g and is considerably smaller.
Read my post again Jorgen, I said, paired with the A7 bodies. Even if they are equivalent lens weights, the Sony is going to be a lighter combination that takes less volume in your bag.

You can play the lens equivalent game all day and lose.

Canon 5D Mark III with 16-35mm f/4 860g + 615G = 1475g (plus camera body bulk and extra 3/4" of lens length when packed in your bag)

A7mII with 16-35 f/4 550g + 518 = 1068g and a smaller volume package.

Want to compare to the Nikon D810 and A7r?

880g+680g = 1560g (plus a full 1" longer lens) vs 407g+518g= 925g and a much smaller volume package.

Basically the weight of the lens is saved in this comparison!!!