The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The astonsishing a6000

AndyPtak

I just broke down and got an a6000 at a "too hard to resist" price.

Am I nuts or is this as good as my a900? I'm using an A mount Zeiss zoom and I can't believe the quality. I haven't run head to head tests yet, but are my eyes deceiving me?

I just broke down and got an a6000 at a "too hard to resist" price.

Am I nuts or is this as good as my a900? I'm using an A mount Zeiss zoom and I can't believe the quality. I haven't run head to head tests yet, but are my eyes deceiving me?
Depends on your measurement criteria.

I'll take the AF focus system of the A6000 over the A900 - fast, accurate, better tracking and more fps. The A6000 sensor is the equal of the A900, maybe a hair better if you believe DXO Mark.

But, I'll take the shooting experience of the A900 - the gorgeous big viewfinder, and the FF look with fast glass.

AndyPtak

I hear you Jack, but I wanted to keep this non-technical - no pixel peeping, just a gut feel as to how it looks and feels.

Maybe my old trusty a900 workhorse is much older technology than I realized.

bipbip

Bought a NEX6 back in the day and dabbled with manual lenses on it as the little kit zoom was pretty terrible. Saw the a6000 and never looked back. As a travel kit I use the Zeiss 16-70 (not the best, despite being Zeiss but better than the alternatives) and the Sony 35mm which is an excellent lens.

dandrewk

The A6000 is a perfect companion for Sony's FF cameras. Small and light enough that it fits into small pockets on a camera bag, it can be a backup. Or it can be awesome for those times when you really need a small, unobtrusive camera. Or it can be awesome if you need the extra reach from the crop factor. Or it can be awesome if you need amazing AF performance.

Just bring it along and slap on any of your FE mounts. Did I mention it was awesome? :)

pegelli

Can't find much online about how nicely it plays with wide angle M-mount lenses. Anyone tried?
Historically the 16 MP NEX 6 fared much better with rangefinder WA's than the 24 MP NEX 7. Would be interesting to know if the new 24 MP sensor of the A6000 changes this vs. the older NEX 7.

Steve P.

Historically the 16 MP NEX 6 fared much better with rangefinder WA's than the 24 MP NEX 7. Would be interesting to know if the new 24 MP sensor of the A6000 changes this vs. the older NEX 7.
Exactly. Some models seem to do better than others. The fact there's not a lot of information out there suggests either the A6000 performs closer to the NEX 7, or that most M lens users have given up trying to find a mirrorless Leica alternative that works as well with wides as the Ricoh GXR. At this rate I might just have to bite the bullet and go for an A7s but there's so much to like about the A6000, not least value for money, that it might suit me nicely - if it works well enough.

simonclivehughes

I have a pair of NEX 7s and recently added an a6000, primarily for the speed and AF performance. I haven't been disappointed.

I also find better performance with my Voigtländer WA, both the 12mm f5.6 and the 28mm f2. Much less vignetting and magenta corners.

V

Vivek

I have a pair of NEX 7s and recently added an a6000, primarily for the speed and AF performance. I haven't been disappointed.

I also find better performance with my Voigtländer WA, both the 12mm f5.6 and the 28mm f2. Much less vignetting and magenta corners.
Simon, Anything will do better than the 7 when it comes to WA. The magenta is still there, right?