Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New issue A7II 'camera error'

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New issue A7II 'camera error'

Truth be told I did buy a new Backpack by Think Tank Airport essentials which is just about 2 lenses bigger than my TT streetwalker. I did sneak out in LA for a Samys camera visit.

Pretty soon I'll have enough bags to leave every member here a bag when they put the lid on me. ROTFLMO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW OT is fine but folks try to keep it within reason. When it gets really out there than the thread message does get lost. Or better said keep it within at least 3 zip codes. Lol

Our international friends may not get that joke. Just ignore me I'm on 3 espressos
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    BTW OT is fine but folks try to keep it within reason. When it gets really out there than the thread message does get lost. Or better said keep it within at least 3 zip codes. Lol

Our international friends may not get that joke. Just ignore me I'm on 3 espressos
    Or on the other hand they might! (I'm on 3 glasses of wine though )
    . . . and bags is on topic? (bet I've got more than you).

. . . and so . . my A7ii seems to be behaving properly, and so does Silas's (FWIW)

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I wish I knew the source of my two failures, I'm still leaning at 2 things a pretty hot cam from heavy use and maybe the vertical grip. Really hard to say since it was pretty rare instance. If it happened more I maybe could pin it down but as we all know we are shooting computers now and any electronic device will get its wires crossed at some point.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know but this is so far off topic, its scarying me folks are not even remotely close to being on topic. Last week I shot this A7II about as hard as anyone can shoot a cam. 13 thousand images in 4 days. That's a ton of shooting and I may add without out review on, I barely went through batteries as I thought I would. Now I had two freeze ups where AF failed to focus, failed to shoot and failed to operate in the proper manor. It was with both a FE lens and a A lens with adapter. All I know was I was half pressed each time. Now given I was shooting as hard as I and my assistant where it really did not bother me much but did lay down a question mark. Oh and this was with old firmware and new firmware. So that was not it either. Both times though vertical grip was attached. After the second time I removed the grip. But I'm still not sure it was that or what was the cause. In my case not sure its worth reporting it to Sony but my statement is here . I'm not going to worry about this but it was strange. Next week I have a 3 day gig and I'll be shooting the A7II as my primary.

Just a reminder this is a Sony forum I could give 3 shits about Nikon, canon, Olympus or any of them. I care about what I'm packing in my bag.

Amazing! How many of those images get actually used? Could you please show a sample? TIA.
    BTW, my Mitakon is still on the A7R.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this out. I would say all are the A7II except the Red Carpet stuff. Shot the A7r and other shooters where involved so ignore this one

IMTA : Other

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See if you folks can pick this up on Screen-test I shot in camera jpegs only and the rest i shot Raw. After the Screen Test i immediately dumped that idea as the compression in camera just sucks. I did not edit anything as people buy even the ones with closed eyes. Yea crazy but they do

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, i´m suffering the same issue on my brand new A7II right out of the box. Then i saw this thread and applied Viramati´s quickly on off workaround, of course with the same IBIS malfunction, but also a black bar like heavy vignetting appeared on the left side of the pictures on landscape orientation and heavy blur like lens decentering on the right upper corner....Decentering was the key... I´ve heard about decentering on lenses but.... is possible on a sensor? A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow that is not good at all. Needless to say this but return it today or sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edgarco View Post
    Hi everyone! Unfortunately, i´m suffering the same issue on my brand new A7II right out of the box. Then i saw this thread and applied Viramati´s quickly on off workaround, of course with the same IBIS malfunction, but also a black bar like heavy vignetting appeared on the left side of the picture on landscape orientation and heavy blur like lens decentering on the right upper corner....Decentering was the key... I´ve heard about decentering on lenses but.... is possible on sensor? A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....
    BTW welcome to the forum and great first post but sad to say what you have here is pretty rare when a sensor is what looks to me is not just not seated well but completely off its mounting points

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....
    That looks like my right knee after a mishap few days ago!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW welcome to the forum and great first post but sad to say what you have here is pretty rare when a sensor is what looks to me is not just not seated well but completely off its mounting points

Yeah pretty good diagnosis (of my knee)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No thats on topic. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That looks like my right knee after a mishap few days ago!
    Vivek,

I hope you recover soon and completely.
    What happened?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, i´m suffering the same issue on my brand new A7II right out of the box. Then i saw this thread and applied Viramati´s quickly on off workaround, of course with the same IBIS malfunction, but also a black bar like heavy vignetting appeared on the left side of the pictures on landscape orientation and heavy blur like lens decentering on the right upper corner....Decentering was the key... I´ve heard about decentering on lenses but.... is possible on a sensor? A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....
    I'm pretty sure that's the A7 III. You know, the one that shoots around corners.
    You may laugh but it's coming. Just a matter of time.
    Sorry about your misfortune Edgarco. Luck of the draw, sometimes. They'll soon have it sorted for you, I'm sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H, Thanks

Just fell off a chair (non photography related) with the knee in a weird position and it isn't like a former neighbor of mine who cracked his forehead getting a Leitz Focomat from his attic.

Just discomfort now. Will see in the next few days if it heals on its own or needs some intervention.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Guy!, By the way i´m the issueman, i´ve got every issue on every camera i had (except my beautiful Nikon F3!), overheating on the Canon 7D, dust and debris on the Nikon D600 and now this sensor on my brand new A7m2, but nothing will discourage me from doing what i love the most.... Maybe a Phase One will bring me luck?
    Vivek i also hope you recover soon!
    Steve P. Yeah i got a prototype for testing... but something´s wrong..... Sony didn´t pay me for it, instead i had to pay..... hmmmmmm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    K-H, Thanks

Just fell of a chair (non photography related) with the knee in a weird position and it isn't like a former neighbor of mine who cracked his forehead getting a Leitz Focomat from his attic.

Just discomfort now. Will see in the next few days if it heals on its own or needs some intervention.
    Thanks Vivek.
    Don't wait too long to have it checked out.
    Better safe than sorry.
    Again, good luck with the healing.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Guy!, By the way i´m the issueman, i´ve got every issue on every camera i had (except my beautiful Nikon F3!), overheating on the Canon 7D, dust and debris on the Nikon D600 and now this sensor on my brand new A7m2, but nothing will discourage me from doing what i love the most.... Maybe a Phase One will bring me luck?
    Vivek i also hope you recover soon!
    Thanks! Welcome and good luck!

K-H, I am less worried than some others around me here and sorry to spread that concern all around.

From a few days ago (already checked by our doctorbut will ceratinly follow it through): http://www.getdpi.com/forum/620550-post276.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

dust and debris on the Nikon D600
    Well, we've ALL had that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Well mine started working again yesterday morning and still seems ok. Will go into my dealer next week and probably get it sent off even if it is still working.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Well mine started working again yesterday morning and still seems ok. Will go into my dealer next week and probably get it sent off even if it is still working.
    Thanks David. What you guys are experiencing seems to be that the SSI gets totally out of alignment, but then somehow finds its way back and then works again. Is that it? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the really cool shot in post #58 that should be very helpful to Sony to debug the problem!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks for the really cool shot in post #58 that should be very helpful to Sony to debug the problem!
    Could be if they link everything up. My case number with them is 11882485 so if Edcargo contacts them maybe he could link into my case

Post Thanks / Like

Could be if they link everything up. My case number with them is 11882485 so if Edcargo contacts them maybe he could link into my case
    Yep, i did my homework and sent the shots to Sony, but i was not aware of your post, so i will link your case in my next communication with them. By the way my case number is 21865. Also everybody feel free to use the shots in order to illustrate the problem.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Or on the other hand they might! (I'm on 3 glasses of wine though )
    . . . and bags is on topic? (bet I've got more than you).

. . . and so . . my A7ii seems to be behaving properly, and so does Silas's (FWIW)
    And I bet I've got more than both of you combined
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    Well, we've ALL had that one!
    d600 dust fest - you know what, I didnt. That said I also learned a long long time ago that sensors need wet cleans every so often. Just saying ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, my A7II has been flawless as has the A7s. However, after updating the firmware on my 2 A7r bodies, which was a major pain to do and get completed, they've both had narcolepsy awaking a few times but then fine. Maybe I should reinitializing the firmware again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All!,

I had the 'camera error' message yesterday

But: i quickly turned it off and on again and it's fine now (IBIS working too)... I'm very much hoping it's a different issue from the above.....

The other Slack
    Silas Slack

www.silasslack.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Silas, I suspect (speculate) that it is all the same and as diagnosed by Guy above.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy didn't get the same message though right (or I may have missed a bit of the thread above?)

I've certainly had no issues with the sensor. IBIS is still happily buzzing away. Hoping it stays that way.

If it's relevant I haven't used any native lenses on it. Just adapted Leica M, OM, Nikon and Pentax ones.
    Silas Slack

www.silasslack.net

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Silas. So did it say just 'camera error' or 'camera error turn on and off'?

Post Thanks / Like

It said 'camera error turn on and off'. It looked just like the one in post 58... I did, pretty quickly, and it has been fine ever since.

for context, It was the first time i'd turned it on that day. Cold dog walk. No bumps or bangs, etc.
    Silas Slack

www.silasslack.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that's the recipe for getting the camera started, namely: Turn on, off, on? :-)
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should name this one Sensor Jump. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should name this one Sensor Jump. Lol
    Apparently a self healing one at that!

Post Thanks / Like

Turning it off and on again cures all evils relating to high tech gizmos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Turning it off and on again cures all evils relating to high tech gizmos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8
    Very funny! Well, it works also for Leicas - most of the time!
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm happy to say I've had no problems at all, freely switching from FE lenses to screw mount (Leica and Yashica) to MF to LA4/A mount. Camera on, camera off, no problem.

Of course, now I've made this public statement, all hell will probably break loose.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Well mine packed up again this morning so have taken it back to my dealer who have sent it off and have kindly loaned me a used A7 for the time being and strangely I have to say i like the lighter weight of it. Anyway will keep you all posted

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm having a failure only with the Canon 400/5.6 on Metabones, where the screen blacks out and the camera won't shut off for about 20 seconds. This happens when zoomed in for manual focus (AF is too unreliable with that combination - not in its native habitat!) and either unzipping or taking a picture.

I haven't tried dropping the battery, but I'm not inclined to experiment further with that combination.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt it maybe the green switch on the Metabones adapter. Look up on Metabones site about the green switch. I think it's called the green switch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Read this

Metabones®

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Guy. I'll experiment.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I had a issue with the Metabones 3 version and that switched worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huh! It seems to work. No AF, but then the AF with the 400/5.6 was pretty useless. But it doesn't crash the camera (Black Screen Of Death?).

Minolta 100f/2 just arrived. Looks like it needs a bit of AF offset wide open. Very sharp, if less contrast than the 75 Cron. But it *does* have AF...

Thanks again,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will notice some of the A mount lenses will need a little adjustment to the AF. So that is normal. Each lens BTW is recorded as each lens you put on and make the adjustment. It never shows a list of all your lenses but it does read which one is on the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Huh! It seems to work. No AF, but then the AF with the 400/5.6 was pretty useless. But it doesn't crash the camera (Black Screen Of Death?).

Minolta 100f/2 just arrived. Looks like it needs a bit of AF offset wide open. Very sharp, if less contrast than the 75 Cron. But it *does* have AF...

Thanks again,

Matt
    Contrast in Post is just as effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the partly good news is that they have finally admitted it has a problem. The bad news is that they don't have the part to fix it at the moment Thankfully my supplier loaned me an A7 in the meantime

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the partly good news is that they have finally admitted it has a problem. The bad news is that they don't have the part to fix it at the moment Thankfully my supplier loaned me an A7 in the meantime

Thanks David.
    How long do you have to wait?
    Any estimate?
    TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.