The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New issue A7II 'camera error'

Viramati

Well my camera basically stopped working today with me getting the message "camera error. Turn camera off and on". I tried different batteries, card and a full reset all to no avail. I did get it to work for a while by mounting the FE 35 (I had been using the 16-35). Anyway I have spoken to Sony who say this issue has been reported by other users and a replacement program maybe set in place. So just wondering if anyone else has the problem.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got freeze up with the 16-35 and a Lae4 with the 70-200 ZA 2.8. Never got a display saying camera error though. Still not sure what it was

jonoslack

HI David
Not I - seems to be working well at the moment.
(like Guy I've had an occasional freeze - but all cameras seem to do that!)
Good Luck with them.
all the best
Jon

k-hawinkler

HI David
Not I - seems to be working well at the moment.
(like Guy I've had an occasional freeze - but all cameras seem to do that!)
Good Luck with them.
all the best
Jon
Sure, my M9 used to do that.
But that's not my experience with my other cameras! :D

iiiNelson

Sure, my M9 used to do that.
But that's not my experience with my other cameras! :D
My M9 did that a few times. One time required me to reformat my SD card (thankfully) I hadn't taken many pictures... Just a few test shots. The other two times were a result of the baseplate not registering a secure position I assume. Turn the camera off and reattachment fixed those issues.

Viramati

Unfortunately the camera has become as the say a 'Brick' and unresponsive to any different combination of setting etc. Anyway I seem to have maybe found a work around if after getting the error message I turn off and then on again very quickly it seems to partially start working again without IBIS kicking in and I also notice that the cleaning mode won't work any more (can't hear or feel it shacking around like before)
As I am away from home it is all a bit of a pain but at least I have the A7s and the M with me though I didn't bring the WATE with me as I was really going to only shoot with the Sony's

Last edited:

Viramati

Maybe load firmware again
Maybe but I think will wait to see what Sony say as the person I spoke to said that the issue has been reported by other users and they are looking into it and will get back to me in 48 hours as they maybe initiating a replacement programme. Anyway I installed the new firmware on the day it was released and the problem only appeared today.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With the current speed of camera development, these issues are unavoidable. Most amateur users won't give it much attention, since this has been the rule for many consumer products for years. The "do-it-right-from-the-outset" quality thinking that was so common with large corporations 30 years ago seems to have evaporated. Cameras that are released without problems are becoming the exception rather than the rule now.

monza

C̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶s̶ Computers that are released without problems are becoming the exception rather than the rule now.

FIFY

:D

jonoslack

With the current speed of camera development, these issues are unavoidable. Most amateur users won't give it much attention, since this has been the rule for many consumer products for years. The "do-it-right-from-the-outset" quality thinking that was so common with large corporations 30 years ago seems to have evaporated. Cameras that are released without problems are becoming the exception rather than the rule now.
I know it's good to think of the 'good old days' (keeping in touch with one's inner grumpy old man), but I reckon companies are much keener to "do-it-right-from-the-outset" than they ever used to be.

Time was when an issue would never see the light of day, so it seemed that everything was great . . . . whereas nowadays, one slip up and it's all over the internet.

Sure - they had to fix things in the past on a camera by camera basis, but the chance of it getting around to normal users was very remote, whereas nowadays there's no chance of hiding things.

V

Vivek

There weren't any "good old days" (aka film which is long dead)! How do one explain the Nikon F4, the Nikon F3AF, Nikon F3H, etc, etc?

What is current is super and the future is even brighter.

Viramati

Further testing seems to confirm failure of the IBIS system through OSS lenses will still work. Will think twice about being an early adopter next time!!!

Steve P.

Further testing seems to confirm failure of the IBIS system through OSS lenses will still work. Will think twice about being an early adopter next time!!!
By exposing the original IBIS issue you have angered The Sony Gods. This is their revenge! :eek:

Viramati

By exposing the original IBIS issue you have angered The Sony Gods. This is their revenge! :eek:
Oh dear hadn't thought of it like that!! I will immediately make offerings and light some incense on the shrine, so as a Buddhist maybe the bodhisattvas will come to my rescue.