The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 35mm f2 Loxia or Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM

ejw

Hello all Just joined this forum, Sold of my XT-1 Jan 15, Picked up 2 sonys a7MKII, 55mm Sony lens voightlander 21mm f1.8

which one would ii should pickup?
Thanks

jfirneno

Hello all Just joined this forum, Sold of my XT-1 Jan 15, Picked up 2 sonys a7MKII, 55mm Sony lens voightlander 21mm f1.8

which one would ii should pickup?
Thanks
Welcome ejw. That depends. What do you like to shoot? You've got wide angle and normal covered.

Regards,
John

ejw

Hi Jfernino, After comparing these 2 lenses the 35 zeiss loxia and the zeiss 25mm ..am thinking strongly of actually picking up both, BY my standard admissions, hate comparing lenses. I can get used to both each one has a different perspective. to which I will enjoy both lenses on the camera that should be good to go.
Ty

Also can anyone share some setting please ty.

turtle

I doubt the 25mm Biogon will fare well on the A7II sensor. The 21mm, 28mm and 35mm Biogons are pretty poor. The 35mm Loxia sounds like a much better bet and you can always add the Sony G 28mm f2 when it is available in a month or two.

sjg284

Given the wide focal length, I've found the ZM25 to perform surprisingly well on my A7s.
I only have the A7s so I cannot report back on A7/A7r performance, but I have a good number of photos posted.. I've used it mostly to help photograph my friend's gym for his website.

This search should bring up items tagged in my set as A7s + ZM25 - https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=sony a7s biogon&sort=relevance&user_id=80092682@N00

I am still interested in the Loxia lenses myself though I'm not sure if I'd prefer the 35 or 50.
I currently have the great FE 35/2.8 .. which I am happy with.
I also have nice Leica Summilux ASPH in both 35 and 50mm.. though I find the 35mm Lux much less usable on the A7s due to extreme vignette.

sjg284

Note I tend to add a mild vignette to photos, so these ZM25 photos above have had vignetting added to them. So whatever vignette you may see in those photos is mostly the added one, not straight from camera.

If anyone needed to see a really clean out of camera shot, that could be arranged.

Steve P.

If anyone needed to see a really clean out of camera shot, that could be arranged.
I'd love to see one please, Steve. I have the ZM 25 as a normal-ish focal length on my Ricoh GXR and it's performance on the A7 range, along with that of the 15mm Voigtlander is the main reason I haven't jumped in yet. If the 25 works well enough on the A7s that would be a big deal for me. Thanks in advance.
Out of interest, which adapter do you mount it on?

ejw

Here we go ladies and Gents:
Picked up both lenses and will try them not today getting a lot of snow coming across from the US
I actually picked up the 21mm Zeiss 1.8 instead of the 25mm

sjg284

It looks like you picked up the 21/1.8 Voigtlander right?

The superwide Zeiss ZM lenses are f2.8

Steve

ejw

Also curious - what country are you located in?-- Toronto
Lenses..
loxia 35mm
Voightlander 21mm,12mm UWA,
Sony Zeiss 55mm

sjg284

OK A7s + ZM25 shots, using metabones adapter.
Only adjustment made in LR was exposure, no other adjustments made.

Let's pick a subject to exaggerate as much as possible

Off in the snow

V

Vivek

Steve, It looks like it covers about 12mm circle (though illuminates the whole frame).

ejw

So what do you think of the 25mm Zeiss, do you like the pics you get with it is it wide enough, sharp
Please let me know

sjg284

I've been happy with the ZM25, I've always found it to be very sharp and low-distortion for its focal length.
Used it with M8/GXR/M240 and now A7s as well.

Looking at the photos above..
When I really tried to force it / look for it, the lens does vignette more on the A7s than I thought.. but such is the case with "brick wall" type tests.

I've been happy with it in practice, and used it extensively for indoor architectural type shots lately.

ejw

It was a toss up between the 25mm and the loxia 35mm I luv the 21mm used it before and made a mistake by selling it, got it back and its a keeper

Michiel Schierbeek

I once took a few snaps with the Zeiss 25 Biogon. Blurry corners and margenta cast.
Rather sharp in the center. As much as I liked it on my GXR as little I like it on the A7R.
Could be a bit better on the 24 mp A7's.
No PP applied.