Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A7r Successor Coming Soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7r Successor Coming Soon

Bill is absolutely right, but having it with you - that's the key. A wonderful medium format camera and lenses too heavy to take with you are useless, as I have found.

My apologies, but I include the following non-MF image to make the point that a heavyweight monster left back at home is not a useful as a lightweight high quality compact camera taken with you. Particularly as one gets older

This image was stitched from 2 rows of 5 images each using a Sigma DP2M, Fanotec Nodal Ninja 3II pano head and a very compact Induro tripod, carried in a Domke vest, all of which weigh very little and do not spoil the enjoyment of just walking around selecting locations and enjoying the moment. Original image is a very sharp, very detailed 30" x 43 " at 300ppi.

This is why my MF kit is now largely confined to the studio.

Sunset over Downderry, Cornwall, England, January 2015.

The same principal applies to a Sony A7r or its successor, only if the Sony A7rII has 50mp, you can save on much of the stitching. Heck, the Sigma DP2M is only 15 (Foveon) MP. The key (for me) is to have the camera with you and to enjoy the moment without the heavy lifting.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a curious thought yesterday. I wonder if Sony might use the Hasselblad/Olympus shifting technology using IBIS in the next A7RII/A9 camera? You could theoretically pump out a 200MP picture with a new 50 MP sensor or a really nice 48MP shot using the A7S sensor with IBIS. If they pulled this off, they would continue to leave CANIKON in the dust and you would have an incredibly powerful/versatile camera in a small package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    I had a curious thought yesterday. I wonder if Sony might use the Hasselblad/Olympus shifting technology using IBIS in the next A7RII/A9 camera? ................................
    Unfortunately I suspect the resolution would be limited by the current crop of e-mount lenses and how they interact with the sensor, corner smearing etc.. The A7R is already showing this with many lenses.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which lenses in the FE range would you nominate, Bob, ones that are currently giving trouble with interaction and smearing on the a7r?

All my film era CY and Leica R lenses work really well on the a7r - far better than on any other camera I've used them with, in fact. You might be able to point us to examples of these problems, so users can avoid them. The FE 16-35/4 is truly great at the wide end, and Sony's optics guys have stated the FE configuration actually makes wide angle design easier - it's the longer FLs that are harder.

Nuevos objetivos Sony FE

CP+ 2015 Encuentros

Some very indicative images of the new lenses at these links, wow that macro is large, but has OSS and 1:1.

A 24Mp APS-C sensor has higher resolution than a 50Mp full frame sensor, being a 54Mp equivalent in FF. No one complains. All three FF makers think we are ready to step up, I'd say they are all right. ;-)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post