The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r Successor Coming Soon

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill, how would a 50.6Mp DSLR camera go for enlargement comparisons?

(CW5) Image and Specs of Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R leaked (50MP sensor) - CanonWatch

I'd find it hard to resist more high res crack cocaine now the a7r has been with me awhile.. ;-)
Some months ago I published tests of the a7r/FE55 against IQ180/SK 80.
24 inch prints were virtually indistinguishable for resolution but the MF held better tonality. At 36 or 48 inches there was no competition.

Having said that, the remarkable definition of the FE55 is not shared by the other Sony lenses, whereas most of my MFDB lenses are the equal - or even better - than the SK 80mm.

Of course the a7r is 36 mpix, less than half the IQ180; a 50 mpix sensor would likely be much closer to the MFDB.

We'll have to see - meanwhile portability means the Sony is getting more use than the MFDB unless I'm on a photo-specific venture where ultimate quality (short of a tech cam) is needed.

jlm

Workshop Member
how tiny can those sensor cells get before problems appear, and what is the tiniest one out there?

philip_pj

Ta, Bill, I do recall your very informative posts; not many people get to see these kinds of real world comparisons. There is a kind of air of incredulity about the 50Mp rumors right now, some say the Canon will be very restricted in ISO and have a thick CFA for better color, others say it's all nonsense. Might be an interesting next couple of months, and Sony - what will you do? ;-)

Uaiomex

Ta, Bill, I do recall your very informative posts; not many people get to see these kinds of real world comparisons. There is a kind of air of incredulity about the 50Mp rumors right now, some say the Canon will be very restricted in ISO and have a thick CFA for better color, others say it's all nonsense. Might be an interesting next couple of months, and Sony - what will you do? ;-)
It all depends on Canon. If the new camera has the expected improves in DR and it sports an articulated screen, definetely I'm buying. If it fails to come witih either of these personal wants, who knows then.
On the other hand, the new Sony will come with a Sony sensor of course and that means the DR I want and probably improved upon. The tilt screen is a given.

So, it still looks like Sony will get my money. Hopefully a few more days to know if otherwise
Eduardo

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Bill is absolutely right, but having it with you - that's the key. A wonderful medium format camera and lenses too heavy to take with you are useless, as I have found.

My apologies, but I include the following non-MF image to make the point that a heavyweight monster left back at home is not a useful as a lightweight high quality compact camera taken with you. Particularly as one gets older :D

This image was stitched from 2 rows of 5 images each using a Sigma DP2M, Fanotec Nodal Ninja 3II pano head and a very compact Induro tripod, carried in a Domke vest, all of which weigh very little and do not spoil the enjoyment of just walking around selecting locations and enjoying the moment. Original image is a very sharp, very detailed 30" x 43 " at 300ppi.

This is why my MF kit is now largely confined to the studio.

Sunset over Downderry, Cornwall, England, January 2015.

The same principal applies to a Sony A7r or its successor, only if the Sony A7rII has 50mp, you can save on much of the stitching. Heck, the Sigma DP2M is only 15 (Foveon) MP. The key (for me) is to have the camera with you and to enjoy the moment without the heavy lifting.

markymarkrb

I had a curious thought yesterday. I wonder if Sony might use the Hasselblad/Olympus shifting technology using IBIS in the next A7RII/A9 camera? You could theoretically pump out a 200MP picture with a new 50 MP sensor or a really nice 48MP shot using the A7S sensor with IBIS. If they pulled this off, they would continue to leave CANIKON in the dust and you would have an incredibly powerful/versatile camera in a small package.

Bob Parsons

I had a curious thought yesterday. I wonder if Sony might use the Hasselblad/Olympus shifting technology using IBIS in the next A7RII/A9 camera? ................................
Unfortunately I suspect the resolution would be limited by the current crop of e-mount lenses and how they interact with the sensor, corner smearing etc.. The A7R is already showing this with many lenses.

Bob.

philip_pj

Which lenses in the FE range would you nominate, Bob, ones that are currently giving trouble with interaction and smearing on the a7r?

All my film era CY and Leica R lenses work really well on the a7r - far better than on any other camera I've used them with, in fact. You might be able to point us to examples of these problems, so users can avoid them. The FE 16-35/4 is truly great at the wide end, and Sony's optics guys have stated the FE configuration actually makes wide angle design easier - it's the longer FLs that are harder.

Nuevos objetivos Sony FE

CP+ 2015 Encuentros

Some very indicative images of the new lenses at these links, wow that macro is large, but has OSS and 1:1.

A 24Mp APS-C sensor has higher resolution than a 50Mp full frame sensor, being a 54Mp equivalent in FF. No one complains. All three FF makers think we are ready to step up, I'd say they are all right. ;-)