Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A7M

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7M

Hiep, on the decreased DOF, this is well exploited by the m43rds users for years (the is a long running thread on bokeh), despite the very small real estate offered by the m43rds sensor. This is entirely possible because of the sensor stack thickness ~5mm.

I am surprised that no one is giving actual stack measurments after the mod and allude it being same as the M9 and such. They can not be the same as the Sony sensor has an epoxied ~0.5mm clear glass on it. The thin UV/IR cut filter then will have to be 0.4 mm thick. To have that and to maintain infinity focus is not an easy thing to achieve.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Vivek. Great question. Over on fredmiranda Charles got a similar question and he was okay with that if it should happen as he didn't plan on using the camera for very long before replacing it with a better one. Well, that was my impression anyway.
    Heip, excellent work! I was keen to see how the A7s would perform. I love the A7r modification, as it is a very different camera now.

With regards to corrosion I feel this is a non issue, as it is to be upgraded at no expense if any corrosion appears. If I wish to upgrade for any reason before, then I will pay a lesser fee for the upgrade, which I feel is very reasonable.

I have no problems replacing the "thin filter" as it is a very quick turn around. I just wished Leica could have had this service for the RF calibration and M9 sensor replacement. Servicing is not an issue IMO if it is quick and responsive.

The latest thin filter replacements with out the potential for corrosion are even 0.2mm thinner, and think it is the same thickness as the M240.
    Last edited by CharlesK; 19th March 2015 at 22:36.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    Heip, excellent work! I was keen to see how the A7s would perform. I love the A7r modification, as it is a very different camera now.

With regards to corrosion I feel this is non issue, as it is to be upgraded at no expense if any corrosion appears. If I wish to upgrade for any reason before, then I will pay a lesser fee for the upgrade, which I feel is very reasonable.

I have no problems replacing the "thin filter" as it is a very quick turn around. I just wished Leica could have had this service for the RF calibration and M9 sensor replacement. Servicing is not an issue IMO if it is quick and responsive.

The latest thin filter replacements with out the potential for corrosion are even 0.2mm thinner, and think it is the same thickness as the M240.

Many thanks Charles for correcting my impression!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Few samples from a modified A7 with the new Distagon 35/1.4 ZM

Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is an overall dullness (for the lack of a better description) in the pictures from the modified A7 cams. Anyone cares to address that?

Ario, thanks for the samples!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There is an overall dullness (for the lack of a better description) in the pictures from the modified A7 cams. Anyone cares to address that?

Ario, thanks for the samples!
    Hi Vivek,

Yes the RAW files are really no different than the RAW files from the Monochrome. The A7r has an excellent DR, and will appear flat at first, and it allows for a lot of malleability in PP'ing to achieve the look you prefer.

Ario, love the depth and clarity to your shots
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Charles, Thanks! That ("flat files") plus the colors are basis of my query, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Charles. I hope this would give people on the fence a push to go through with this . In short, if you manage the DOF, sharp corner-to-corner can be achieved around the same optimal aperture on the M9/M240. M9/M240 users don't have the luxury to do so easily (distance scale is just a guideline). The ZM 15 is among the trickiest, shortest flange distance ZMs (only ZM 18 and 21/4.5 are shorter). After this mod, I can shoot WO again.

Vivek: that is an interesting point you raised about the thickness and DOF. In my mind, the thinner DOF is mainly because of the severe bowing of the field curvature. As for the thickness, I would ask Ilija. But no matter what thickness, the current performance is already astounding!

As we discussed on FM, this mod also has other nice side effects, bonuses of sort. Charles, and a few others, noticed a decrease in purple fringing. For longer lenses, this mod would still give noticeable effect. Lloyd's test shows drastic improvements even on the 50 APO. I tested the G90 on this yesterday, and the modded cam shows clear advantage in the corners, at all apertures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ti33a0k2n...%20BA.rar?dl=0

If the weather permits, I would test my Contax 55 and 85 Jahre on these cams. Preliminary testing yesterday indicates my 55 no longer has the mild mid-zone dip. I also feel that with the modded cam, the picture has less veiling haze effect at WO. Nothing is definitive yet, so I will hopefully find that out soon. I would feel guilty for keeping my cousin's A7s too long (yes, he loves mine so much that he decided to get one himself).
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hiep, Thanks.

As I already mentioned, I have a "thin" filter camera that use (A7) for Ultraviolet.

I am envious about your Zeiss arsenal. Look forward to your pics with the 55/85 f/1.2 lenses.

Oh, the A7s, it is the best that Sony has ever made!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hiep, Thanks.

As I already mentioned, I have a "thin" filter camera that use (A7) for Ultraviolet.

I am envious about your Zeiss arsenal. Look forward to your pics with the 55/85 f/1.2 lenses.

Oh, the A7s, it is the best that Sony has ever made!
    Vivek, fully agree with you on the A7s thing. It's why I have not been too excited about the new A7R Mark 2 rumor. Going to wait for the A9.

As for this mod, Ilija actually had to re-position the sensor closer to the shutter curtain. Typically from what I heard, the UV mod would need a simple AF adjustment algorithm on the sensor front. But it's all hearsay for me .

Quick test on the 55 Jahre WO

Left - normal, right - modded

Center focus on the tree in the middle.

Too bright even with overcast.

Disadvantages with this mod so far: Wonky WB and it seems to rob about 0.5 stop of light.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post