The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7M

uhoh7

Hi everyone.

My camera is back from Kolarivision with thin sensor cover mod complete. We have decided to call these the A7M A7rM etc. M is for Mod, M-mount and Michael who got the ball rolling with Kolari. The mod costs 400USD.

28 cron anyone?

You guys tell me, how's it doing?

DSC00327 by unoh7, 5.6

DSC00326 by unoh7, 5.6

DSC00335 by unoh7, 2.8

DSC00347 by unoh7, 5.6

DSC00346 by unoh7, f/3.8ish

DSC00363-2 by unoh7, f/8

Very minmal PP and fulls can be reached on flickr. :)

bensonga

Darn. When I saw the "A7M" title, I was hoping to see an announcement from Sony that they were going to produce a monochrome version of the A7. :(

Your pics look very good to my eyes.

Gary

uhoh7

Here is the ZM35/2 which was also bad before:

DSC00304 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00306 by unoh7, on Flickr

these at f/5.6

I think we are seeing a big improvement, the M240 is still a bit better on the edges, I'd guess, but suddenly the camera is quite decent with these two lenses. Had it been this good stock I doubt I would have bought an M9. I love that camera and am glad I have it now.

AF seems to work fine with sony lenses as well.

Consider: an A7 used is 900ish + 400 = 1300 for a pretty decent M240 alternative.

Here is ZM18
DSC00220 by unoh7, on Flickr

this lens shows a big colorcast, as it does on M9 without correction. But edges are way way better.

uhoh7

Thanks. How does the 35 Summilux ASPH do?
Just send yours over and I can test it extensively :angel:

Don't have that one, Sry

But someone will. :) There are a number of these cameras out already and within a month I'd expect there will be 100.

iiiNelson

It's an improvement but it looks like there still a color cast and smearing problem in the corners. I'm awaiting my full spectrum conversion on my A7R which will be here next week hopefully but I generally only use my rangefinder lenses that play nicely on my A7/A7R.

uhoh7

It's an improvement but it looks like there still a color cast and smearing problem in the corners. I'm awaiting my full spectrum conversion on my A7R which will be here next week hopefully but I generally only use my rangefinder lenses that play nicely on my A7/A7R.
These lenses also cast colors on the M9 and 240, uncorrected.

If the smearing is only seen in the corners and it is more subtle, that is huge since it has been on the edges to date.

This is a 1300USD camera. It will outperform any A7 version with any lens designed for film. In the case of RF wides and the 50 Lux asph it will outperform them by a long ways.

It is not better than the M240. It is not better than the M9.

But it's pretty good :)

28 cron 5.6:

DSC00357 by unoh7, on Flickr

V

Vivek

When you say it will "outperform", does it include moire?

BTW, is the dust shaker still there or gone? Can you post a picture of the camera showing the sensor? TIA!

uhoh7

When you say it will "outperform", does it include moire?

BTW, is the dust shaker still there or gone? Can you post a picture of the camera showing the sensor? TIA!
No moire will be worse for sure. I just mean sharpness. :)

I think dust shaker is gone. I will try to get a pic of the sensor.

Also I was just peeping one of the 5.6 cron shots and could not find outright smearing in the corners. :)

But I need some long landscapes to really tell and we have bad weather here now.

28 cron f/11:

DSC00342 by unoh7, on Flickr

Below wide open:

DSC00349 by unoh7, on Flickr

Now, I could always be wrong :) I just report my impressions so far from testing and interaction with others. I'm not afraid to amend my opinion in future :)

Camera seems very much improved in sharpness, especially on edges. The FM thread has some close crops with and without Mod on 50 Lux asph which are crazy.

Also in case anyone wonders: I paid full price for the Mod. I have no business association with Kolari. :)

V

Vivek

I, for one, do not mistake your enthusiasm for a commercial plug. I applaud that you went through with the mod and thank you for showing the results. :)

The 28 M Summicron does look better on the modified camera with no obvious corner mush. :)

jonoslack

Hi There
It looks interesting BUT it was always at infinity that the M lenses performed really badly on the A7 . . . do you have any landscape shots near infinity?

V

Vivek

Were the Leica M lenses, especially the unit focusing ones, ever designed to be shot at infinity?

IIRC, Jack wrote (posted) a very nice and succinct piece about how the Leica M lenses shine at around 1/20 to 1/30X magnifications and why.

cam

Thank you for sharing. Have you noticed it behaving any differently with your FE lenses? I can see the sharpness, etc., just wondering if AF is affected.

Hmmmmmm… and still can't help wondering if anybody has done this mod on the A7S.

uhoh7

Hi There
It looks interesting BUT it was always at infinity that the M lenses performed really badly on the A7 . . . do you have any landscape shots near infinity?
You are exactly right. The f/8 28 cron shot is at infinity. My was problem a storming coming in. I will be sure to get you guys proper infinity shots with my M wides.

Here is ZM 18 at f/8 inifnity. Hair on sensor confirms vivek's prediction we will see more dust :)

DSC00251 by unoh7, on Flickr

Yes, colorcast. This lens must be coded as 21/2.8 pre-asph to shoot clean on M9.

iiiNelson

I don't know if you use LR5 but if so do the lens profiles correct the images further for you? I know they helped on some M mounted lenses for vignetting and light color casting.

V

Vivek

uhoh7, If you have the NEX lenses 16/2.8, 20/2.8 (rear baffle removed) and the 10-18/4, it may be worth checking them out on the modified camera.