The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small compact flash uses AA batteries

SamSS

I've been looking for a small flash for awhile in addition to those fullsize flashes which do not want to carry around when making short trips with light and small package.

I had a Nikon SB400 but it didn't work with the a7 but I like that fact that it uses (2) regular AA battery.
Most of the smaller flashes that I found ultilize AAA battery. Who use AAA battery for flash?

I took a chance on this Viltrox JY610 and it works perfectly. This is a clone of Canon 270EX flash.
The only difference that I've notice is the metal base with single firing pin.
For $20 buckaroo? Why not?
If you're looking for small flash to tuck in your pant poctket, this is the one.
Most pictures taken with Note 3 and a pen LED flash light.

Metal base has single pin firing

Rear end simple on/off and lock/unlock

Proportion on a7ii and came with a velvety pouch.

Side view

Got a smallest Lowepro Adventura 140 big enough just to hold the camera with full hood on ready to use.
It has (2) side pockets. One for the flash and I might stick the table tripod to the other side if needed.
The front could hold 2 batteries and a charger.

Did I mentioned that it does stupid trick too :)

Last edited:

SamSS

I did a quick test of light quality.
All shots done handheld. a7ii, fe55, 12 feet distance to subject, 12 feet white ceiling.
Flash bounce head at 75 degree.

SamSS

I thought I should report back shooting experience from last week with this cheapo flash as a fill-in light.
It works great and not bulky to carry around even on the camera.
FE 55

FE 70-200 @ 70mm

@70mm

@125mm

@100mm