Site Sponsors

Thread: Weird or normal?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question Weird or normal?

After just 2 days with the A7s, I notice a few differences between this and the megapixel A7r (dated).

With the same lens (tele to avoid vignetting related issues), the 7s is "brighter" - requires lesser exposure times.

Also, the magnified images (center) are sharper.

All this before clicking to take a shot. Of course, the EFCS (quieter than the A7) or the Silent shutter of the 7s is something else.

Could anyone who has the 7s and the 7r please check if what I am seeing is correct or am I imagining things? TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird or normal?

Interesting observation. I'll set up a quick check in a few minutes. (I have an a7S, a7R and A7ii)

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure this is what you want to hear, but all three of mine give identical exposure readings off a gray card. All set to center metering, manual ISO; Mitakon 50mm set to ƒ2.8 on all.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought...make sure you have the DRO (dynamic range optimizer) settings the same on both cameras. That can affect the metering with some subjects.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    After just 2 days with the A7s, I notice a few differences between this and the megapixel A7r (dated).

With the same lens (tele to avoid vignetting related issues), the 7s is "brighter" - requires lesser exposure times.

Also, the magnified images (center) are sharper.

All this before clicking to take a shot. Of course, the EFCS (quieter than the A7) or the Silent shutter of the 7s is something else.

Could anyone who has the 7s and the 7r please check if what I am seeing is correct or am I imagining things? TIA!
    I now have the A7II, A7s and A7r. The A7s is my favourite camera to go. There are a lot of subtle and many not so subtle changes that Sony had made to the A7s. The EVF and LCD respond differently, and it is a pleasure to use the A7s outside in the bright sunlight, as compared to the A7r.

I have not noticed the lesser exposure time with the A7s compared to the A7r. The colour and rendering is amazing with the A7s. It yields probably some of the best B&W conversions I have seen.

There may be a number of enhancements with the A7s that culminate with better viewing/reviewing than with the A7r. With A7II there are improvements again just in reviewing the shots.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Just a thought...make sure you have the DRO (dynamic range optimizer) settings the same on both cameras. That can affect the metering with some subjects.
    I missed that. The 7s has the default (DRO optimisation) settings while the 7r did not. Thanks!

I was checking it at ISO2500 at night (across the street). Details lost by the A7r due to noise seems substantial.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post