The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G-Rokkor 28/3.5 on A7 or best compact 28 on A7

So after seeing that awesome set-up from Vivek, I was obsessed with getting a very compact for travel. I would weigh form and IQ about the same since I don't want to compromise too much. Zero down the normal lens to be the new Heliar 40/2.8. So I'm looking for a 28 right now.

So I wonder if anyone has shot with the G-Rokkor 28 ens on the any of the A7 series. Seem like an interesting lens, kinda rare and expensive too. I couldn't find much info on any RF forum, let alone A7 experience. I know the Leica Elmarit 28 ASPH is pretty small and sharp but would rather not spending that much. I guess the Skopar 28 is a bust. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Pictures would always be welcome :D.

V

Vivek

Hi, I considered this for a while and dismissed it. Even on the Ricoh (APS-C, optimised for Leica lenses), it does not seem to do all that well (web samples). Corners are going to be mushy on full frame.

The 2.8cm f/6.3 Hektor is OK on the A7s but flares very easily and quite badly. The 28mm f/6 Orion-15 is a little better w.r.t flare.

The M Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 with its original hood still appears to be a better choice and is in the same price range of a Hektor without its original hood that is very rare and is a lot more expensive than the lens itself.

Added:

http://koikecamera.com/log/

https://mrlazyli.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/全幅先鋒-sony-a7與a7r-preview/

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I snapped this earlier (the Sun has already set and very poor light).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
7s, Orion-15 28/6, f/8, 1/50s, ISO2500, Handheld

100% crops:

Bottom:

Center:

This is likely to be better in better light but it will never be "stellar". The lens (alone, no adapter) weighs ~60gms.

Edit:

Here is the weight. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Vivek :D. Your Google-fu is impressive! 60g and less than $250... very tempting... Is there anything I need to look out for with these Russian optics?

V

Vivek

Thank you so much Vivek :D. Your Google-fu is impressive! 60g and less than $250... very tempting... Is there anything I need to look out for with these Russian optics?
You are welcome! :)

It is a Zeiss Topogon clone , 4 elements like this (( )). Make sure it was not "CLA"d. The lens alignment is critical. Cosmetics should not be bothered about. My sample came with a deep rear bakelite cap and the original aluminum front cap. Since the lens is deeply recessed, no need for a hood (filter threads 40.5mm). Also, it has a restricted diaphram. => Can be used wide open.

Off topic, but I'm curious about that scale; looks extremely handy. Do you know what brand/model is it?
Mike, eBay, from P.R.C. ~$5 shipped. Uses AAA batteries.